Just bought a book "The Forager's Harvest" - Samuel Thayer

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be very careful about eating plants you are not absolutely sure about. Some common plants, mushrooms, etc have poisonous lookalikes. There are some reputable YouTube videos that can supplement the book that can help explain the dangers of the lookalikes. Hopefully the book explains this.

Some of the sayings have value but are also misleading. There are a lot of red berries in Alaska that are very good for you and tasty. Another saying is ”Leafs of three let it be” about poison ivy/oak. But not every three leaf plant is poisonous.

You are doing right by reading and asking good questions.

Just skimming through it.

Anyone else have it?

Are there any general rules to follow when eating wild unknown plants?

i.e. "stay away from red" stuff like that.

Where did you buy the book and was it delivered on time?

Having more than one foraging book is a good idea because each is different and that way you have more plants to choose from. The book you chose is fine but only has a couple dozen plants (though it seems to be a good choice for your area).
Also books on just plant identification are good choices to make very sure of the plant you are looking at to eat.
I have many books on identification and on foraging. The one you chose is about worthless to me because of my location but fine for you.
There are also many youtube vids on foraging that might be a good choice to view too (and they are free).
The same exact plant often looks different from one growing in a slightly different environment and that is why it is good to more than one book to make a positive identification.

Having more than one foraging book is a good idea because each is different and that way you have more plants to choose from. The book you chose is fine but only has a couple dozen plants (though it seems to be a good choice for your area).
Also books on just plant identification are good choices to make very sure of the plant you are looking at to eat.
I have many books on identification and on foraging. The one you chose is about worthless to me because of my location but fine for you.
There are also many youtube vids on foraging that might be a good choice to view too (and they are free).
The same exact plant often looks different from one growing in a slightly different environment and that is why it is good to more than one book to make a positive identification.

Finding one may be a problem,getting it delivered while still able to use it may be another one,
I ordered a 125' water hose,3 months later I got a 50' one, orded a personal vaporizer got one that holds a couple gallons that will produce a steam bath,it did come sooner only a month late..:rolleyes:
At this stage I could get one for plants in Liberia or the south pole.

Latest posts

Back