Just Joined from Louisiana

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallsEleven

Friend
Neighbor
I stumbled onto this forum accidentally and from what I have read, it seems like a great place. I live in a neighborhood full of 1/2 acre lots in south Louisiana but have future goals of building on 10+ acres to give my kids room to enjoy nature. I do what I can in my backyard with a flock of chickens and some gardening but want more one day when I have the room (pond, goats, pigs, etc.). I plan on soaking up as much knowledge as possible until that becomes a reality.

Being so close to the Gulf of Mexico during hurricane season, you have to have a bit of a prepper mentality for most of the year so I look forward to talking on that level with others as well. We got the double tap from Hurricanes Laura and Delta last year which was my first experience has a home owner/husband/father during a hurricane. Much different than back in college and turning it into a booze party.

Cheers! drink buddy

Welcome from the SE corner of Washington state.
The first piece of land we got was 20 acres and found that we needed a lot more and got 125 acres. Since you can't grow much at 5000 feet above sea level I am now looking for more acreage at a lower altitude but still meeting our other requirements.

Welcome from southern Ohio! :welcome:

We got the double tap from Hurricanes Laura and Delta last year which was my first experience has a home owner/husband/father during a hurricane. Much different than back in college and turning it into a booze party.
Yeah, I went to school in New Orleans. I remember hurricane parties.... 😂

Welcome from "The Great State of Alaska".

Welcome from Alaska! I've lived a few places in my life, one of them being about three (ish) hours upriver from New Orleans on the Bayou. It got too crowded after Katrina from the impacted people from the coastal areas relocating near me, so I bugged out up north to Alaska. Still, some of my best days and best folks I've ever interacted with were the true cajun living large on the bayou!

Keep after your dream! By the way, there is some nice land to be had reasonably between Saint Francisville, LA and south of Natchez on 61 and highway 1 and 15 on the other side of the river in my old stomping grounds. A bit more crowded that it was pre-Katrina, but still some very nice land. Some tasty gators live there too!

Welcome from Alaska! I've lived a few places in my life, one of them being about three (ish) hours upriver from New Orleans on the Bayou. It got too crowded after Katrina from the impacted people from the coastal areas relocating near me, so I bugged out up north to Alaska. Still, some of my best days and best folks I've ever interacted with were the true cajun living large on the bayou!

Keep after your dream! By the way, there is some nice land to be had reasonably between Saint Francisville, LA and south of Natchez on 61 and highway 1 and 15 on the other side of the river in my old stomping grounds. A bit more crowded that it was pre-Katrina, but still some very nice land. Some tasty gators live there too!

I’m not opposed to moving (the wife will demand it if we get hit again) but I don’t think I could make the jump all the way to Alaska. I’d love the wide open spaces and wildlife but I’m grade A wuss when it comes to the cold. I do a lot better with a wet heat than a wet cold.

Nice! I’m over in Lake Charles.

I made my first gumbo of the season this weekend actually. I had some friends in from Georgia and had to make sure they were well fed.
Laura did a number on you guys.
Strange as it may seem, some of our relatives in Texas fled to Lake Charles to dodge that storm.
Bad move. They were stuck there with no power for over a week.:oops:
We went thru there about 2 months later and almost every roof was still sporting a blue-tarp. :(
Welcome to our world!!!:p

Laura did a number on you guys.
Strange as it may seem, some of our relatives in Texas fled to Lake Charles to dodge that storm.
Bad move. They were stuck there with no power for over a week.:oops:
We went thru there about 2 months later and almost every roof was still sporting a blue-tarp. :(
Welcome to our world!!!:p

Oof! They may need to replan their evac routes haha

Our power was down for about 4 weeks. We pretty much got it back in time for Delta to come through and join the party.

I’m not opposed to moving (the wife will demand it if we get hit again) but I don’t think I could make the jump all the way to Alaska. I’d love the wide open spaces and wildlife but I’m grade A wuss when it comes to the cold. I do a lot better with a wet heat than a wet cold.

Actually, there are enough Cajun expats up here that most local grocery stores carry the typical cajun seasoning and spices! The only exception is no community coffee!

Welcome from CENLA. Did you get the rain/flooding from Ida? I thought for sure we were going to get hit but we got just some rain. I'm between LC and Alexandria. I have made occasional trips down to LC to the Lowes near Kyoto restaurant. Haven't been there in a couple years now though. I usually hit the big box stores in Alexandria because its an easier drive (even if I have to pass through Woodworthless). :p

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon. The best thing I saw about a guy living in the low lands of Louisiana was that he built a house on a large barge with lots of anchors to keep him in place in case of flooding. We live at close to 1,500' elevation on the side of a mountain and I've seen rain flows that scared me, we still have diagonal ditches I dug when we first move here to direct those flows away from our home. All the best to you, do all that you can while you're young.

Back