Just starting out

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelloWalls

Try that in a small town
Neighbor
Howdy,

I, a fast closing in on 30s single male, am closing on 7 acre parcel of land, with a modest home.

I want to slowly but surely become completely self-reliant out there. I was wondering what some suggestions for what I should begin with.

I've done chickens before, but had to get rid of them due to several issues, mainly living inside a suburban area. I've been around goats before as well. I plan to start a garden next season, and hopefully chickens as well; with goats to follow. Ideally at some point cattle as well (mini cow.)

A majority of my soon to be land is wooded, and I will need to work on demolishing some of the trees.

Attached is a shittily made markup of the land.

Thank you,
HW.

Attachments

• propertyLines.png
    propertyLines.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Welcome from Alaska!

Welcome from NE Florida.
That piece of land looks very inviting.
We have 4 acres in a wooded rural area.
My wife has kept laying hens for almost 30 years now, we have a horse and some dogs.

Welcome aboard.
Going slow is a good idea.
Don't try to do everything at once you will quickly become overwhelmed and discouraged.
Hello and welcome, backlash is right and it is always good to have some help. I will tell you this, do things while you are still young, strong and gravity is not an issue because at 80+ those things make a huge difference, things get long winded and projects take twice or more longer to complete.

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. I try to take large projects in baby steps. Priortize what is most important, and just take it one step at a time. Helps to make to overall project less daunting.

Good to have you with us. :welcome:

Welcome from Oregon. Do lots of research and planning. You can't un spend your money or get back lost time from making mistakes. Fortunately you are young enough to recover from it when you do. Oh and when you do commit to a project don't be afraid to go bigger or build in expandability. The only time I ever regret going big is the day I write the check.

Greetings and best wishes
Like said... Start small and build on small successes... It can be overwhelming to do everything at once.... A lot of old timers at this have seen it all, done it all.... Just not at the same time..

Welcome from New York! Your plot of land looks great and I wish you success.

What water sources do you have? Multiple wells and rain catchment would be fairly easy things to start with.

Welcome! Start with the smaller stuff first, not everything at once, as others said it's overwhelming.
Water, power, septic/sewage
Then food: greenhouse/etc
We have been on our property for a year and haven't broke ground on a house yet, have been harvesting our own lumber, and everything is paid off. Not worth it IMO to go into debt.
Lots of folks here to help out.

Welcome as many have said.

Let me throw you a few pointers. Watch where the sun is day in and day out along with the prevailing winds so you can plant things in the right places. Start off with the things that take longest like Fruit and Nut trees. Start preparing you garden areas NOW and get them in use ASAP! BUILD THE SOIL@ This is key to good healthy crops.
If you have mechanical abilities then old equipment is your friend if not well..... Always plan larger....................

Welcome! Start with the smaller stuff first, not everything at once, as others said it's overwhelming.
Water, power, septic/sewage
Then food: greenhouse/etc
We have been on our property for a year and haven't broke ground on a house yet, have been harvesting our own lumber, and everything is paid off. Not worth it IMO to go into debt.
Lots of folks here to help out.
The property I'll be moving onto will be paid off, have septic, power, and a well. It's move in-ready. So I plan to work the land some this year, clearing land that needs cleared and slowly putting fencing up where it needs to be. Thanks for the input!

Welcome as many have said.

Let me throw you a few pointers. Watch where the sun is day in and day out along with the prevailing winds so you can plant things in the right places. Start off with the things that take longest like Fruit and Nut trees. Start preparing you garden areas NOW and get them in use ASAP! BUILD THE SOIL@ This is key to good healthy crops.
If you have mechanical abilities then old equipment is your friend if not well..... Always plan larger....................
Great advise from BigKidd. Sun positions thru the year can change a lot. Winds as well. You'll do yourself a favor to pay close attention. And take notes on that to plan things down the road

Good luck on your adventure. Just to be contrary to all the folks saying go slow and all. Get some shelter for living on your property and make some definate decisions as far as usable storage food. The current events taking place in this country and the world do not bode well. My timeline (and some very smart other people) is by the end of this year things will be really falling apart.

Good luck on your adventure. Just to be contrary to all the folks saying go slow and all. Get some shelter for living on your property and make some definate decisions as far as usable storage food. The current events taking place in this country and the world do not bode well. My timeline (and some very smart other people) is by the end of this year things will be really falling apart.
I feel this too.
Food and water most important for survival.
Shelter also very important.

Latest posts

Back