Keeping barn cats warm.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Burkett

NostalgicGranny
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Last winter one of the stray cats I feed lost partial vision during Texas' snowmageddon. I'm not sure if it was due to the unusually cold temps or something else. It took me a few weeks to figure it out. At first she hid in the dog house and wouldn't come out. Then she started coming out to eat, but going right back in afterwards. So when she started following me and the other cats to the feeding station I was overjoyed. It seemed like she was back to normal. But one day she overshot the feeding area and was obviously confused. So I squatted down to check her out and her eyes were cloudy. She is now an indoor cat.

The thing is, I don't want a repeat if we get another snowmageddon this year. I've been looking at heated cat houses and it seems like they are mostly weather resistant and not weather proof. There is also a dog house heater that can be mounted inside the dog house. Someone else mentioned an outdoor heating pad that with a little jury rigging could be mounted inside a dog house. Then there is plain old insulation that can be used to line the house and it reflects the cats body heat back to them, and keeps them warm. Which would you pick? Or have you tried anything like that on your own homestead?

Last winter one of the stray cats I feed lost partial vision during Texas' snowmageddon. I'm not sure if it was due to the unusually cold temps or something else. It took me a few weeks to figure it out. At first she hid in the dog house and wouldn't come out. Then she started coming out to eat, but going right back in afterwards. So when she started following me and the other cats to the feeding station I was overjoyed. It seemed like she was back to normal. But one day she overshot the feeding area and was obviously confused. So I squatted down to check her out and her eyes were cloudy. She is now an indoor cat.

The thing is, I don't want a repeat if we get another snowmageddon this year. I've been looking at heated cat houses and it seems like they are mostly weather resistant and not weather proof. There is also a dog house heater that can be mounted inside the dog house. Someone else mentioned an outdoor heating pad that with a little jury rigging could be mounted inside a dog house. Then there is plain old insulation that can be used to line the house and it reflects the cats body heat back to them, and keeps them warm. Which would you pick? Or have you tried anything like that on your own homestead?
Please do not put a heating pad in the dog house or pet sleeping area. They can do 2 things: catch on fire or cause burns where the pet sleeps on/against it. Like putting your frozen feet too close to the fire and burning your boots. Insulation is usually best. When we had a real barn, I would stack the hay with crevasses in it so they could get into the stack to sleep. We don't have a barn now, but the little fur demon has a basket with an old wool (woven type) cradled into it so it's all around. You can also put hot water bottles wrapped in an old towel in extreme conditions. Also, heat lamps can clamp to a safe place and work well if you still have power.

I have a ferrel cat, not so ferrel after 3 1/2yrs at my home that wants nothing to do with coming inside. She never saw snow before our Tx super freeze. I have several small insulated dog houses on both porches that she uses in the winter. Usually just keep fleece throws, and old flannel shirts in them. During the stupid freeze I added hay in two of them. She would make a nest each night and curl up in the hay. She had no problems, never seemed cold. She even played in the snow quite a bit!! I have an electric warming pad, but it would be no good during a power outage!! Shawn, I'm in Parker County west of Ft. Worth😊

We have a bunch of outdoor cats. Mostly they hide underneath the house during bad weather. We also have a few dog houses and carriers that get bundled up during the winter. Plus I heated towels up and lined all the houses and carriers to help keep them warm. Tiger is the only cat that didn't fare well in all the years we've lived here. Last year was an unusual weather event for Texas. I'm trying to get things ready now before the cold weather sets in.

I made a cat house. I was going to tell you how I did it but here's a video instead.
The cat lived in the house most of 3 winters and it's still in good shape. I do replace the straw every year.
Do NOT put a blanket or any type of cloth in it. That will get wet and freeze and defeat the purpose. We had a lot of temps below freezing and a few around zero and the cat did just fine.

We have a cat house the barn cats sometimes use in the garage. When it got negative 13 here last winter, they went into the basement. We have a small broken window that they got in there from. It doesn't get below freezing in the old basement, and I bought some "animal quilts" from the thrift store for a buck a piece. Usually the two are territorial, but last winter they let another one in. They'd go outside to do their business and I'd feed and water them in the basement. They did fine, and I'm assuming we'll do the same this winter.

Here is an alleycat rescue set of instructions: Pretty much the same as the video. In winter I keep a heated "dog bowl" with water under the carport.

https://alleycatadvocates.org/communitycat-care-center/creating-winter-shelters/
Some other resources: Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Feral Cat Winter Shelter

the 3 Community cats currently roaming about the neighborhood.

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 4.06.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 4.06.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 8.48.45 AM.png

Last edited:
a5b642906639d79b49d663a4e3b9ba8b.jpg

I used to have a single barn cat. So long as they have unfrozen water, plenty of food, and shelter they don't need much special - God gave them fur coats for a reason. Mine was an American Shorthair and she survived many -15° nights by burying herself in loose hay. Later on, I did let her into my uninsulated porch and I gave her a cardboard box with old t-shirts in it for a nest, which she seemed to like. Plus she got fresh water twice a day. She did fine like that...

I used to have a single barn cat. So long as they have unfrozen water, plenty of food, and shelter they don't need much special - God gave them fur coats for a reason. Mine was an American Shorthair and she survived many -15° nights by burying herself in loose hay. Later on, I did let her into my uninsulated porch and I gave her a cardboard box with old t-shirts in it for a nest, which she seemed to like. Plus she got fresh water twice a day. She did fine like that...
After
My little 3 1/2 yr old girl made out just fine in Tx when it went down to -10°, (-8+-9 a few nights too)! All the deer, donkeys, cows made it. A lot of dead wrens and finches though! Give them what they need, food water and shelter and kitties will be fine. 💗

Latest posts

Back