Keeping engines running

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have lots of engines around. And they have carburetors. And the gasoline today gets dirty fast. So me n carburetors have gotten to know each other pretty good. Particularly on the small engines snogos wheelers mowers generators n such.
I used to have a stigma about carbs. Like they were a can of worms. I was wrong. They are pretty simple little devices.
And as I have wrote I get my mowers n such for free because folks won't work on their own equipment. I keep fuel line n brake clean, what I clean carbs with, in my garage as stock supplies. And lots of carbs are made to take apart using rubber o rings instead of gaskets on the float bowl. I would suggest good screw drivers but the separate tips that go into handle drivers work great. Cheap n lots of selection. Safety glasses when spraying cleaners. Or using compressed air.
After a couple years of sitting a carb could probably use a clean.
I have a few of the aftermarket carbs on stuff. The cheap ones on the internet that folks say don't buy for 25 bucks. Some suggest spending hundreds taking it to the shop or trying to replace it with a 300 buck 30 year old original. For me I'll throw a 20 buck kit in it , if that doesn't work I'll chance the 25 bucks for a Chinese knock off. I've had good luck.
Other than that it's lubricating wherever something moves. So it keeps on moving. Also I think it's kinda nice to be able to fix my stuff. Couldn't imagine what it's like for folks who haven't had exposure to working on things.
For me if I wanted it to work it was on me. And usually as cheap as possible. And most things can be repaired pretty easily. With a small tool kit.
Because this is a homesteading forum. If folks feel uncomfortable about diving in on machines homesteading is going to be really expensive. Or more labor intensive. And time is always money.
Anyhows I thought I may try to inspire to try your hand at your own repairs. For the price of one small repair at a shop it seems folks could get a good 100pc tool set and some time on the net. And gain some knowledge n confidence.
That's just the homesteading life

I have lots of engines around. And they have carburetors. And the gasoline today gets dirty fast. So me n carburetors have gotten to know each other pretty good. Particularly on the small engines snogos wheelers mowers generators n such.
I used to have a stigma about carbs. Like they were a can of worms. I was wrong. They are pretty simple little devices.
And as I have wrote I get my mowers n such for free because folks won't work on their own equipment. I keep fuel line n brake clean, what I clean carbs with, in my garage as stock supplies. And lots of carbs are made to take apart using rubber o rings instead of gaskets on the float bowl. I would suggest good screw drivers but the separate tips that go into handle drivers work great. Cheap n lots of selection. Safety glasses when spraying cleaners. Or using compressed air.
After a couple years of sitting a carb could probably use a clean.
I have a few of the aftermarket carbs on stuff. The cheap ones on the internet that folks say don't buy for 25 bucks. Some suggest spending hundreds taking it to the shop or trying to replace it with a 300 buck 30 year old original. For me I'll throw a 20 buck kit in it , if that doesn't work I'll chance the 25 bucks for a Chinese knock off. I've had good luck.
Other than that it's lubricating wherever something moves. So it keeps on moving. Also I think it's kinda nice to be able to fix my stuff. Couldn't imagine what it's like for folks who haven't had exposure to working on things.
For me if I wanted it to work it was on me. And usually as cheap as possible. And most things can be repaired pretty easily. With a small tool kit.
Because this is a homesteading forum. If folks feel uncomfortable about diving in on machines homesteading is going to be really expensive. Or more labor intensive. And time is always money.
Anyhows I thought I may try to inspire to try your hand at your own repairs. For the price of one small repair at a shop it seems folks could get a good 100pc tool set and some time on the net. And gain some knowledge n confidence.
That's just the homesteading life
ALL of our lawn equipment, garden tractor, tillers, etc. came to us not running! Most of which just needed the carbs cleaned, old fuel line replaced, gas tanks cleaned. It's amazing what people throw out because it quit running and cost too much to have fixed in the shop. Really amazing!!!

From my experience, the engines can be kept going longer than the contraption that the engine powers. The bodies of whatever you are using typically take a beating in our tough environments. I have lots of items with make do parts keeping it going. Since I am not making the big bucks like I used to, I gotta keep stuff running! I am not the most mechanically inclined, so I learn a bit by trial and error. It is fun when you can make things work.

The trouble with small stuff is the time it takes to fix it, compared to the cost, of replacement and the price of parts.
Remember when you are servicing small engines, that when available low detergent mono grade oils help keep things together, modern multigrade oil designed for gasoline service don`t have enough metal on metal protection for flat tappit engines, this goes for old tractors etc. multi grade oil for diesels is a good second choice,

I long time ago I resolved to be my own mechanic.

I think its probably the number one skill 'poor' people should have as it will save you more money than just about any other skill. (cooking being a close competitor)

I really can't imagine surviving in this lifestyle if I couldn't fix vehicles. Every year I do thousands of dollars of mechanic work for penny's (or at least dimes) on the dollar.

That being said....I'm really bummed that I have to pull the engine on my wife's car before winter. Even though it saves thousands and thousands of dollars being your own mechanic, I don't actually enjoy the work.

Simple maintenance, prevents most problems although as posted above often times "we" get machines/ vehicles that have suffered poor maintenance.

I was trained in small engine repair and unfortunately I have a lot of experience. I never liked working on cars or small engines. I can do it but I will never volunteer to do it.
I was so happy when I started making enough money to be able to afford to pay others to work on my cars.

Back