Keeping Time

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought was a sundial. My second thought was would you really need to know what time it was. When we were on the ranch, it was “in the morning” or “in the afternoon” not at 2pm etc. Also, up the mountain, our power went out on a semi regular basis. My alarm clock is battery. I would prefer a wind up but haven’t found a quality one- have tried a couple but didn’t last. I have an Elgin wristwatch and a battery one. We have a mantle clock that is wind up. It does need to be adjusted slightly as it looses about <2 minutes per day. I just push it forward when I wind it. If we ever find a piece of property, I will have a sundial in the garden.

I gave up trying to wear a watch years ago. They just stop working. The electric ones kill batteries in a few days and the windup watches get magnetized or something. I react to watches by breaking out where the watch rests - even the stainless watches. My body chemistry doesn't seem to get along with much of anything. Silver rings erode away and gold wears very fast. It's weird because there isn't any corrosion but the metal on the ring just gets thinner very quickly. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is gold or silver.
Do you ever go bare-footed?

Not often do I go barefoot, why do you ask?

I gave up trying to wear a watch years ago. They just stop working. The electric ones kill batteries in a few days and the windup watches get magnetized or something. I react to watches by breaking out where the watch rests - even the stainless watches. My body chemistry doesn't seem to get along with much of anything. Silver rings erode away and gold wears very fast. It's weird because there isn't any corrosion but the metal on the ring just gets thinner very quickly. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is gold or silver.
A high school buddy of mine is like that also. He can't keep a watch running. There seem to be a number of people like you though it is uncommon. Also, a radium dial immediately causes him a rash under the watch.

I can't wear watches. There is something about my chemistry or electromagnetic field that either magnetizes them or kills the electronics. I can use a stick and a compass to tell when it is noon (solar local time) but that isn't going to matter when you spend most of the waking time working in the fields or with the animals and sleep when the sun goes down.
Military type raids? Any war like activities will be by small groups that are local and timed by the situation as it presents itself. You won't have to be concerned with planned attacks across long distances timed to seconds from each other because you won't know of anyone outside hollering distance. Without "the grid" you won't have long range communication because your radio traffic will be tracked back to you within seconds. Within a short time after that you will be arrested or killed.
I can't wear watches either.
My body chemistry messes with them.
Only watch I have been able to wear has been a ladies lapel watch.

Not often do I go barefoot, why do you ask?
That is what I would have suspected. Going bare foot outside in particular helps “neutralize” your body chemistry. Some folks can build up extra electrons in their system as odd as it sounds. By going bar-hoofed as we call it, you provide your system to either shed electrons &/or gain protons. I finally have hubby convinced to walk around outside without socks and shoes sometimes.

Latest posts

Back