Keeping Time

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have one of those... until I realized how lousy it was at actually keeping time. Mine wasn't even close. It went bye-bye. Maybe there are better versions out there. (?)

I just checked both of mine and one was right on with my phones timer and the other was a few seconds slower. Now they both ring a minute before the time is up but it says that the will do this on the directions.

We could go back to water clocks and public sun dials. The sundials can tell you the month and hour of the day. How will we know what day it is? We will have to use the moon for that I suppose.
I think I will just continue to go through life caring little about the time unless I have an appointment to keep.

How would we know when to watch "As the World Turns" without a watch?

Back in the day, it was common for the town to have a clock tower. The clock would chime so all knew the time. Keeping time is a convenience that few would want to give up.

Back in another life I was a baker. I ran three to six ovens with two pans in each oven. I would know which oven and which pan was ready when. You really can develop your internal clock.

When I was a kid, "As the World Turns" was nap time for the men in my family who came in from working on the farm/ranch. They ate lunch, turned on the television, laid down on the couch, watched their program, and took a nap. This was true for a couple uncles of mine. They watched that because there were only one or two channels for many years and that was what was on.

Internal clocks-- I have not used an alarm clock for more than a decade.

Internal clocks--The Rhodesian Ridgeback, a very food oriented dog, also can tell time, meal time. Tonight she was laying down and promptly sat up at her dinner time, promptly at 6:00.

I have a cuckoo clock. They need a good tune-up periodically. The only person I have known for years who would or could do that was my uncle who is now 93 and finally closed up his jewelry shop this year. People from all over the world would send him clocks and watches to repair, but not anymore. He has hung up his suit and tie and is finished working, finally.

Church piano was always going out of tune. Turns out that when the sanctuary heat was turned down during the week (unoccupied) the temperature change was affecting the piano's tune. We put a small heater in the piano which solved that problem. Cuckoo clock I had would gain or lose time dependent on the humidity.

The piano isn't really a good example. I worked on (and tuning was a part of that) pianos for many years, even did some serious rebuilding. Lots of wood directly supporting the tension on the strings, in multiple ways. Of course changes in temperature, but more so humidity (which temperature is normally a part of) change the tuning of a piano. Can't help that. It's the way they're made.

The Cuckoo clock is probably more relevant but still likely has some wooden components that directly affect it's speed, namely the pendulum. They're typically made out of wood and wood does soak up moisture or dry out according to it's surroundings. That would affect the time, running slower when the pendulum has soaked up moisture, faster when it had let the moisture go. I'm not sure if there may be other factors particular to the Cuckoo clock that would affect the time.

The grandfather clock I'm referring to, the movement is basically brass and steel, and in the case of the weights, a little lead, I think. They're not likely to change their mass a whole lot with changes of temperature and humidity. One might argue tiny amounts but compared to working parts made of wood, they're tiny. A good mechanical watch is probably pretty similar, just way smaller.

FWIW, the heater that got put into the church's piano, it should have been connected to a little device that detected the humidity level of the air near it. When it detected humidity above a certain threshold, it turned that little heater on. When it detects that the humidity has dropped to a certain level, it will turn the heater off. There are some pretty elaborate (and expensive) systems for pianos that not only have heaters, they also have tanks of water / humidifiers such that they can go both ways, humidify and dehumidify. When set up properly, they can really work well.

All that said, the body has a clock that seems to work pretty well as I tend towards being less connected to the time of day stated on a clock. It's also confusing where I am because I'm less than a mile away from Eastern Time and I live in Central Time. What I really find more useful is that right now, it starts getting light out around 5:00am and by 6:00am or so, the sun is up and it's prime time for picking stuff out of the garden. Actually, I haven't a care in the world what time it actually is, I just know that the sun is up and it's time to do some stuff. That will change with the seasons but it's way more relevant to me, and probably a good many farmers out there than what a clock happens to say. I also know that around 6:30pm, the shadows start to get a little longer and I know that the day needs to be winding down regardless of how much I didn't get done. That doesn't mean it's dark yet, only that the shadows are giving me plenty of advance warning of the day's end approaching. Sure, there are plenty of outliers, rainy days, stormy days, changing seasons, but a person gets to be more in tune with those as they just observe them (no pun intended).

:)

I got a seiko watch for just this purpose. It doesnt keep time well though. I have to reset it constantly. 2 days into shtf I'll be going by the sun like everyone else. I'd love to find a better one that doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

We ordered a snake grabber and flood light to day soon as that is paid off I'm gettign a wind up watch.

Snake grabber?

Just went and looked that up. Hmmm. I've always used a fishing rod with a slip knot in the end of the line. Slip knot over its head. Pull tight. Cast snake where you want it to be. Cut line. Keeps snake far from you and they dont get pissed about fishing line.

Last edited:
Snake grabber?

Just went and looked that up. Hmmm. I've always used a fishing rod with a slip knot in the end of the line. Slip knot over its head. Pull tight. Cast snake where you want it to be. Cut line. Keeps snake far from you and they dont get pissed about fishing line.

Good idea too. :cool: But our snakes don't always co-operate and so the grabber is best fro us to grab where we can close to head and take to the woods. :)

I was going to tell @Angie how the little AC unit she suggested works, but can't find the thread.

So I'll put it here, it works pretty good fro a water cooling unit and the price is right too. We just tried it out today. Thanks.

I have a battery watch, need to get a wind up one,too.
A sun dial would work.
BSA teaches to drive a stick/wooden stake into the ground & put a rock at 12 noon when it is 12 noon so the shadow touches the rock.
Do this 11 more times & you have it.
Rebar will last longer, but you need to bend the tips so no one fall on the point.

+1 on the Seiko 5 line - they're reliable, keep pretty good time, and you can buy several without going broke. I have had a couple for years and they've been great. Mechanical wall, mantel or grandfather clocks are good to have, too. One inexpensive wall clock I have uses a weight/pendulum and has kept surprisingly good time for several years and runs for several days without being tended to.

I don't really see the need to know the time once the world goes to hell in a handbasket, its not like anyone of us will have to clock on at work or be in time for a business meeting is it?
I will get up just before dawn- I do now- and go to bed when its too dark to see to do anything.

I don't really see the need to know the time once the world goes to hell in a handbasket, its not like anyone of us will have to clock on at work or be in time for a business meeting is it?
I will get up just before dawn- I do now- and go to bed when its too dark to see to do anything.

One of the few needs I anticipate for a time piece would be for a synchronized attack. Otherwise sunrise, high noon and sunset will probability be my clock.

the only person I synchronize with is the wife and she is right by my side and i'm not attacking anyone.
How do I find one of them, my wife is ready to do battle at the drop of a hatpin. Today I use a clock for appointments like doctors and ship sailings.

You'll need to be able to keep time if you can your food. That's not something I would be willing to guess on.

One of the few needs I anticipate for a time piece would be for a synchronized attack. Otherwise sunrise, high noon and sunset will probability be my clock.
I can see needing to synchronize meetings and other things. A timepiece may be more important than we realize.

One thing I have tried to do for years, when I don't know what time it really is, I make a guess, then check the time. I think it is a way to train us to have a sense of time.

I have a battery watch, need to get a wind up one,too.
A sun dial would work.
BSA teaches to drive a stick/wooden stake into the ground & put a rock at 12 noon when it is 12 noon so the shadow touches the rock.
Do this 11 more times & you have it.
Rebar will last longer, but you need to bend the tips so no one fall on the point.

Joel soon people will understand why everything old is new again.

I wanted an automatic (no battery worries) field watch that can take the abuse of everyday wear that was also not ever going to be bothered by water. Today, my Deep Blue Defender 1000 automatic watch arrived.

defender1000.jpg

Here are the specs:

DARK BLUE SUNRAY (SHINY Finish)
316L Stainless Steel Case, PVD COATED (BLACK)
40mm width, 47mm Lug to Lug, 15mm thick
1000FT/300M Water resistant
Screw down crown and Case back
Stainless Steel -120 Click uni directional Coin Edge Bezel with Luminous Triangle 12 Oclock
BLACK Brush Case with BLACK Polish sides of Case
Caliber Seiko NH 36 Automatic Movement
21,600 VPH 24 Jewels with Day/Date
28mm Dial Opening, Exhibition Caseback
Sapphire Crystal, AR coated - Scratch resistant
Superluminova Hour markers and hands
Helium Release valve 10 o’clock position
22mm Ballistic Nylon stripe Strap
Optional OEM Fit Bracelet and Silicon Strap Available

Cost: $299

Enter discount code DEEP at checkout for an extra 40% off.

My first impressions: This thing is amazing. Perfect size - not too big or too small, good weight, not too thick (but not slim, either). I set it to the second several hours ago and it remains dead-on to the second. We'll see how it does over the course of days. The NH36 movement is a real workhorse - it's serviceable and tends to be quite accurate. Aesthetically, it's very attractive - the picture above doesn't do it justice. The dial is very easy to read. Lume seems good, but I'll test it this evening and see how long it lasts.

Deep Blue is a micro-brand that has been around a few years. They put out some very nice watches for a great price. Here's the link to this watch: DEFENDER 1000 40MM AUTOMATIC PVD CASE DARK BLUE SUNRAY DIAL STRAP - DEFENDER 1000 40MM AUTO DIVER/PILOT WATCH, but look around the site at their other offerings.

I have no affiliation with this company other than that I'm a customer. So far, I'm very pleased.

I almost never wear a watch. But I do have a Casio G Shock that is solar powered. It'll run 3-5 days with no exposue to light and will charge up from zero to running in about 5 minutes. It receives the atomic clock signal for settings as well.
I've also got a old (no idea how old) pocket watch my uncle gave me when I was 6. (Long story). It don't have a working second hand, but as long as I keep it wound up it doesn't lose time.

We have wind up and also battery operated. I know the battery operated won't last forever, but they will last for awhile. I can't believe how many people can't read a regular clock...only a digital one
When I was teaching, my students had to sign out to use the restroom which was down the hall, and sign in when they returned. That included the time out and back in. We only had analog clocks in the classroom. It was this time of year that children would start wearing digital watches to school. But it was also this time of year that they were learning to tell time. I had a series of 4 workbooks that were excellent for teaching time, imho. I made a copy for each student and let them work through them at their own pace. Having to know the time to use the restroom helped them to be motivated to get through those workbooks and to learn to tell time from an analog clock.

Put not being able to tell time on the list of things that people will not learn if they have no reason to. I had students who never learned to tie their shoes and parents supported that by buying them slip-ons. Those children who I figured out were not able to tie shoes had lessons on that and I would do follow up checking to see if they could or not.

I wanted an automatic (no battery worries) field watch that can take the abuse of everyday wear that was also not ever going to be bothered by water. Today, my Deep Blue Defender 1000 automatic watch arrived.

View attachment 47055
Here are the specs:

DARK BLUE SUNRAY (SHINY Finish)
316L Stainless Steel Case, PVD COATED (BLACK)
40mm width, 47mm Lug to Lug, 15mm thick
1000FT/300M Water resistant
Screw down crown and Case back
Stainless Steel -120 Click uni directional Coin Edge Bezel with Luminous Triangle 12 Oclock
BLACK Brush Case with BLACK Polish sides of Case
Caliber Seiko NH 36 Automatic Movement
21,600 VPH 24 Jewels with Day/Date
28mm Dial Opening, Exhibition Caseback
Sapphire Crystal, AR coated - Scratch resistant
Superluminova Hour markers and hands
Helium Release valve 10 o’clock position
22mm Ballistic Nylon stripe Strap
Optional OEM Fit Bracelet and Silicon Strap Available

Cost: $299

Enter discount code DEEP at checkout for an extra 40% off.

My first impressions: This thing is amazing. Perfect size - not too big or too small, good weight, not too thick (but not slim, either). I set it to the second several hours ago and it remains dead-on to the second. We'll see how it does over the course of days. The NH36 movement is a real workhorse - it's serviceable and tends to be quite accurate. Aesthetically, it's very attractive - the picture above doesn't do it justice. The dial is very easy to read. Lume seems good, but I'll test it this evening and see how long it lasts.

Deep Blue is a micro-brand that has been around a few years. They put out some very nice watches for a great price. Here's the link to this watch: DEFENDER 1000 40MM AUTOMATIC PVD CASE DARK BLUE SUNRAY DIAL STRAP - DEFENDER 1000 40MM AUTO DIVER/PILOT WATCH, but look around the site at their other offerings.

I have no affiliation with this company other than that I'm a customer. So far, I'm very pleased.
Very nice! The Seiko movements will take more abuse than I could ever give mine, and keep good time too.

Last edited:
I gave up trying to wear a watch years ago. They just stop working. The electric ones kill batteries in a few days and the windup watches get magnetized or something. I react to watches by breaking out where the watch rests - even the stainless watches. My body chemistry doesn't seem to get along with much of anything. Silver rings erode away and gold wears very fast. It's weird because there isn't any corrosion but the metal on the ring just gets thinner very quickly. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is gold or silver.

Latest posts

Back