Keeping track of purchases

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tootsie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Just a thought, for anyone who doesn’t want a clear trail on what they’re buying. Number one of course is pay cash. Sometimes that isn’t workable. Using a gift card or prepaid card could give you more more privacy if someone were trying to keep track of who is accumulating what. This tip came from a judge in NY a few years ago who wasn’t happy with changes in the gun laws and wanted to make sure his stuff would be safe.

Of course if it is not a face-to-face exchange then it makes no difference because you would be having the items shipped to your place. If it is an in-person transaction then just use cash.
It is just about impossible to make purchases without leaving a trail with the only exception being nameless cash in-person transactions at a location with no cameras.

Some people use cash but then forget that if they use their store rewards it negates any privacy cash provides. I split my orders. Things that I don't want anyone knowing about, I use cash. Other stuff that I don't really care about, I use the rewards.

I used to be a rewards member at our farm supply store but noticed that I never got any coupons or rewards. I mentioned that to the clerk once and I got a "really?". Yeah, I quit using my rewards number there. I also don't use it at the hardware store anymore for the same reason. Unless the rewards are easliy calculated and forthcoming, I don't fall for it.

I only use pre-paid CC's for online shopping although I do use my "good" CC for automatic pay for my internet and Lifelock payments. Thats the only 2 things I have on there

I use cash for everything else. I only buy the sales at the local grocery store using the rewards card and for any big amount purchase I go walmart and use self checkout and use cash

A lot of stores like tractor supply ask for your phone number for rewards, Etc. I give them a fake number that may or may not be used by someone. Lots of companies sell your number to telemarketers which are a pain to deal with. Nobody, to my knowledge has my cell number, and I never answer a call from anyone I don't recognize.

Just remember that trails work "Both Ways".

Sit quietly and reflect on the ways you could turn what they think is a "trail" into bait.

Just remember that trails work "Both Ways".

Sit quietly and reflect on the ways you could turn what they think is a "trail" into bait.
Ditto that!

Youtube has me nailed as a

Machinist
Engineer
Sawyer
Gardener
Veteran

The pop-up adds I get are for data acquisition gear, plasma cutters, boltless fixturing...

That is exactly what i WANT THEM TO THINK I am.

Ben

TSC is tracking you and using your info. They used to ask for either your phone number or zip code, Now it’s some kind of ‘reward’ program. As I learned it 10 years ago when it was zip codes, if they can get enough factors and will keep track of your purchasing history to improve their sales and bottom line. I believe that certain info is not kept confidential but marketed.
I feel sorry for the employees who have to ask every customer for this info. This is information the company checks daily, and employees are kept liable. Smart ones learn early to make numbers up. “Your job may depend on it” was heard more than once. It is a factor in raises and reviews, too.

TSC is tracking you and using your info. They used to ask for either your phone number or zip code, Now it’s some kind of ‘reward’ program. As I learned it 10 years ago when it was zip codes, if they can get enough factors and will keep track of your purchasing history to improve their sales and bottom line. I believe that certain info is not kept confidential but marketed.
I feel sorry for the employees who have to ask every customer for this info. This is information the company checks daily, and employees are kept liable. Smart ones learn early to make numbers up. “Your job may depend on it” was heard more than once. It is a factor in raises and reviews, too.
When asked what my phone number is I tell them to put in the number of the store.

Ben

That is exactly what i WANT THEM TO THINK I am.

I guess they have me pegged as a "Tequila Drunkard" and "Horny Hermit".

I went on Amazon to see if my wife could save money on her prescriptions, she can save a lot.
I put in her information. Amazon automatically looked up her insurance information. They knew her insurance carrier and her policy number.
Your information is easily attainable by any big business that wants it. We are not safe from anyone and there is nothing we can do about it. It's too late to stop it. You may be able to limit some things but there is already enough information floating around the web to know pretty much whatever someone is looking for.

When I saw the title of this thread, "Keeping Track of Purchases", I was excited to read some tips from others on how to find what I've already bought. I can't tell you how many times I have bought something, when I needed it I couldn't find it, out of frustration bought another one, and went to put it away and found the original one right where I was putting the new one away at. That totally sucks. But if you want to find the first one, just go out and buy a second one. This technique for locating things is guaranteed to work 99% of the time. At least around here.

When I saw the title of this thread, "Keeping Track of Purchases", I was excited to read some tips from others on how to find what I've already bought. I can't tell you how many times I have bought something, when I needed it I couldn't find it, out of frustration bought another one, and went to put it away and found the original one right where I was putting the new one away at. That totally sucks. But if you want to find the first one, just go out and buy a second one. This technique for locating things is guaranteed to work 99% of the time. At least around here.

I run into that exact issue.....quite often. Drives me nuts, but then I recall I still have a spare for next time

I am analretrentive with a near phonographic memory. If something ain't were I expect it to be I dont have it.

Buy another.

Ben

I'm still unpacking boxes since our move (a yr next week). But in fairness, Our add on bedroom, closet, and basement didn't exist until a few months ago. Two boxes unpacked this morning. I found all my jerky making stuff and my cheese wax. I almost bought more. Also found wrapping paper and gift bags. Those I have bought more of.

I use my email to keep up with purchases for the world to see, pluming parts, lumber, hardware.
Full the world with paper work & most will get lost in the blizzard, then pay cash or use a front man for the things you do not want to be traced back to you.

TSC is tracking you and using your info. They used to ask for either your phone number or zip code,
When they ask....."can I get your phone number or zip code", I just say Nope. No fuss, no muss. I pay cash and exit the store.

When I saw the title of this thread, "Keeping Track of Purchases", I was excited to read some tips from others on how to find what I've already bought.
Well, if you use a CC, you can just attach all your receipts to your CC statement and file them in a cabinet. Or, if you buy something off Amazon or Ebay, I think they keep that information forever! I think you can only access purchases on Ebay for 3 years, but THEY still have it. :mad: On Amazon, you can pull up the product you bought and they will show that you already purchased it. You can go in and see how much it was and when you bought it. Sadly though, what you did with it after you got it.....only the wife can help you with that.;)

I wish I could escape buying online, but I live in a community that doesn't have a lot of options for brick and mortor stores. With that, I don't have many product options either. As much as I possibly can, I buy in person and use cash.

When they were doing the sign in's during Covid, I'd write Jenny Snumber (in cursive) and 867-5309 at the one diner that required it at the time. If we weren't as far from home as we were, I'd have walked out instead of sign in. Nobody said boo, but I don't think anyone actually understood what was written, except hubs who just grinned and didn't say a word.

I actually buy gift cards sometimes so that I don't have to use a CC for online purchases to larger stores. The only thing that does is hide that information from my CC holder b/c I buy them with cash. The store itself still has to ship it to me, so they're pretty sure they know who bought it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back