Kerosene heater?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, the safest is a vented heater. That means that the exhaust is dumped outside. There are free standing heaters on this page for $139 or further down the page is a jet heater which will put out a ton of heat fast.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-D...ba490760839313142195589b1e93372d&gclsrc=3p.dsI am not recommending either brand as I have never owned them, I'm only trying to give you options of types. With either of these you will need adequate ventilation. With the heat heater you will need much more.

With any combustion appliance that doesn't have exterior exhaust you run the risk of CO poisoning. What happens without ventilation is that the O2 gets burned up and then you get incomplete combustion and the fire gives off CO instead of CO2. The carbon monoxide is highly poisonous.

Okay, the safest is a vented heater. That means that the exhaust is dumped outside. There are free standing heaters on this page for $139 or further down the page is a jet heater which will put out a ton of heat fast.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-D...ba490760839313142195589b1e93372d&gclsrc=3p.dsI am not recommending either brand as I have never owned them, I'm only trying to give you options of types. With either of these you will need adequate ventilation. With the heat heater you will need much more.

With any combustion appliance that doesn't have exterior exhaust you run the risk of CO poisoning. What happens without ventilation is that the O2 gets burned up and then you get incomplete combustion and the fire gives off CO instead of CO2. The carbon monoxide is highly poisonous.

This is true kerosene heater lmost killed all 12 of us in about 1960. My aunt,mother,all 10 kids. Ice storm in Atlanta knocked out power and aunts hubby was overseas in Army.My cousin woke up throwing up and helped the rest of us outside.
Plus kerosene has a strong smell.

Kat, when I was working the ambulance the very first call where I was the medic in charge, and the person was dead when we got there, was a case of CO poisoning. Almost every winter someone dies on a boat. They have an open flame heater, this one was a Coleman stove. As it gets colder and colder they tighten the boat up until they no longer have adequate ventilation. Usually only one person is living on the boat so only one person dies. This serves to remind everyone living on their boats not to close up so tightly. Some years it takes a couple of boats before they get the message.

Kat, when I was working the ambulance the very first call where I was the medic in charge, and the person was dead when we got there, was a case of CO poisoning. Almost every winter someone dies on a boat. They have an open flame heater, this one was a Coleman stove. As it gets colder and colder they tighten the boat up until they no longer have adequate ventilation. Usually only one person is living on the boat so only one person dies. This serves to remind everyone living on their boats not to close up so tightly. Some years it takes a couple of boats before they get the message.

I wanted to live on our boat but hubby said no. Remember a couple years I put up this thread,

Making A Jon Boat Into A Cuddy Cabin

This is our radio we have for the boat, will it work? Of course we don't know anyone else with one.

Uniden UM415 Fixed Mount Class D VHF Marine Radio - White

ef7becd6-cc53-42e8-8628-39f7ff1ad818_1.9d50e1663f607ca7e4430fb1b058f668.jpeg

The code for garages or other areas where combustibles like gas, propane, etc are or can be stored isthaq the flame must be at least 18" above the floor.

I would be using it only occasionally. Right now the temp in the mornings is about 20 and that makes it about 35 in my uninsulated garage. It is too cold to work out there and just need some heat for a short time.

Check with your insurance company but many allow certain types of propane heaters.
If it has an enclosed flame and vents to outside I think most ins companies allow it.
Not cheap but something like this.
iu

We got one of those or at least it looks like that for greenhouse, when we turned it on thought our meter was taking flight it ran so fast.Plus the wiring cost almost as much as the heater but we had to wire it to 220 box .

We got one of those or at least it looks like that for greenhouse, when we turned it on thought our meter was taking flight it ran so fast.Plus the wiring cost almost as much as the heater but we had to wire it to 220 box .
Yes, the electric ones will really spin the meter. The one I was recommending was propane.

I would be using it only occasionally. Right now the temp in the mornings is about 20 and that makes it about 35 in my uninsulated garage. It is too cold to work out there and just need some heat for a short time.
Is adding insulation an option? We did it to our garages and it made a huge difference.
Another option is to heat your garage via your car. Run some errands or something then park the car in the garage. Our (insulated) garages will go up a lot in temp as the engine block acts as a large heat block.

If your garage is insulated and less than 1200 square feet you can get a mini-split heat pump that will keep it warm in the winter and cool in the summer. That is what I did to heat both my garage and shop. One split heats the 616 SQ.Ft shop and the other heats the 616 Sq. Ft garage. It is less expensive than heating the house with gas. It also makes the space available all year long.

Latest posts

Back