Kerosene Miner's Lamps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladycat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
"Off grid power" seemed to be the most appropriate place to post this.

A few months ago, I was watching an episode of Hopalong Cassidy. It's a western that takes place in the 1800's.

This particular episode involved a mine. Hoppy went into the mine and came back out several times during the episode. He had a gadget about the size and shape of a standard flashlight, held horizontally. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a flashlight, then I thought, oh, wait, they weren't invented yet. At least, the kind that runs on batteries wasn't yet in existence.

I started watching closely. To turn it off, he flicked it off some kind of way, maybe something similar to the way you would do a battery flashlight. It was hard to tell exactly how, since those shows are in B&W and the picture isn't too crisp and clear.

To turn it on, it had some kind of built in striker. Presumably something similar to a Zippo lighter. Hoppy would hold it in just such a way, and flick with his thumb until it lit. It even sounded like a Zippo getting struck.

I have tried to google this gadget several times, and can't find exactly what it is. I can find miner's lanterns that you carry with a handle, and I can find kerosene head lamps, but nothing that looks like a flashlight. Does anyone have a clue?

As an addendum, I suppose it's possible it could have been using coal oil instead of kerosene, but I have zero experience with coal oil, so I don't know if it would strike that way. If it was kerosene, I didn't even know you could light kerosene with a small striker.

Another sights worth checking out: http://www.flashlightmuseum.com

Here's an interesting one:

MI00390.jpg

Who knew that collecting flashlights, and "expert flashlight historians", were things.

I once conducted a search warrant on a house where I found a box of "antique glass eyes". The guy was so worried I would hurt his precious simulated eyeball collection. At that point I knew people would collect anything.

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. But a guy I used to hike with had an old miners lamp, could be worn as a headlamp, or hung on a wall or tree. It had a striker on the face and What ever the material was that went in it would create a gas when mixed with, I think, water. It'd burn several hours at a stretch. But for the life of me I can't recall the proper name for it. I'll look around and see if I can't find the right info and will repost later. For a SHTF situation, I think they would be extremely useful. I need to pick up a few and whatever the material is for producing the gas to have on hand.

That's it MMM. I just couldn't recall the name. I run across then in antique stores all the time. I'll have to look for some new ones, and the carbide. They put out a decent light, not great but very much better than nothing.

I might get one. I'm sure the storage life of the crystals is indefinite. Would not have to worry about rotating them or long term storage.

What ever the material was that went in it would create a gas when mixed with, I think, water

They're still available ... I think!

Still around but the cost of carbide has went through the roof if you can even find it,shipping is hazmat also, got rid of mine because of that.

I'm sure the storage life of the crystals is indefinite

Nope it will turn to dust in the can over time especially after you open it and humidity gets in there :)

Latest posts

Back