Keto Eating?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swing

Porch Lover
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
As I've been reading around, I've seen a couple of mentions of this method of eating. Seems it may be similar to Adkins or Mediterranean diet.

Who's eating this way? What's it been like for you? And can you explain it?

I once did Adkins, and did well, but then I visited my Mom. I was not eating all the Southern necessary carbs. I broke down and ate some there, and it broke my body set and the pounds came back.

Anyone else have that happen?

Keto is a low carb (very low like 5%) high fat (75+%) diet. I eat Keto. Not strict but still lower carbs than 'normal' people eat. I did a 60 day challenge on Ketodietapp.com back in September and lost over 25+ lbs. I will be going back to a very strict Keto diet come January.

I need to stress this is a lifestyle not a fad diet. I like how Sentry puts it. If you go off plan, forgive yourself and move on.

I have a big question for you, the probable hardest thing I'd be up against.... Mom that bugs you a lot if not eating "balance" in the Southern tradition?
I go out to eat with the 2 or 3 times a week, and it's at a small diner.

I do like that meat, cheese, and such as a life style. It's hard the first few days of changing yourself.

I too started the Keto life style back in Sep,

After a week , I got this acetone taste in my mouth, , that was weird, strong at first then faded to barely noticeable.

But was losing weight fast,
Eating high fats , and low , actually NO carbs for the first week intentionally.
Now it's just the way I eat..lots of veggies, lots of meat (with fat) use Kerrygold butter and Coconut oil (fats) for cooking.

Still avoid carbs, mostly.
Get my quota of carbs unintentionally (salad dressing, a lite breading on fried foods) , .

No Sugar .

I lost 30 lbs .

It is a way of life.

I order hamburgers (not fast food crap) without the bun, side salad, cole slaw.(mayo dressing only)

It boost my energy level ...way too much..:rolleyes::D

I just went to kitchen and had ...quickly...a perfect Keto meal.

IMG_20171213_184940093.jpg
IMG_20171213_185447031.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
I too started the Keto life style back in Sep,

After a week , I got this acetone taste in my mouth, , that was weird, strong at first then faded to barely noticeable.

But was losing weight fast,
Eating high fats , and low , actually NO carbs for the first week intentionally.
Now it's just the way I eat..lots of veggies, lots of meat (with fat) use Kerrygold butter and Coconut oil (fats) for cooking.

Still avoid carbs, mostly.
Get my quota of carbs unintentionally (salad dressing, a lite breading on fried foods) , .

No Sugar .

I lost 30 lbs .

It is a way of life.

I order hamburgers (not fast food crap) without the bun, side salad, cole slaw.(mayo dressing only)

It boost my energy level ...way too much..:rolleyes::D

I just went to kitchen and had ...quickly...a perfect Keto meal.

View attachment 810 View attachment 811

Jim

Jim

Please, I am not trying to bust you, just curious what you are drinking? Iced coffee? Iced tea?

I found that if I stick to a basic outline when eating anywhere but home I can stay in ketosis.

Eat meat (fatty cuts preferred)
Eat a green veggie (leafy greens preferred)
Butter or bacon on the side or on my meat (not chicken)
Salt, pepper and spices are your friends!
Sauces are just fancy dress for sugar.

If pushed to eat a "balanced" meal I'll put the carbs on a bread plate but not touch them. Makes for a great excuse for not eating them... 'I forgot I had that!'

Ha! depending on whom I am with...

Without trying to explain Keto,
which they're not interested in...

I just say , "oh , I'm watching my BP",
or , "the doc says my sugar is high",

Or "It makes me mean", :switch::mad:

You can make up anything... and they are fine..

But try telling them it's healthy....they take offense that your telling them they are not eating healthy...

so LIE.:thumbs up::D

Jim

Neat ideas. I'm not sure how I would work with unsweet tea (I am a Southern Gal after all). I have used Splenda (or generic) effectively before. Does anyone do that.

And Jim that is a nice looking meal. How much bacon in that pile. (and that makes me think of a bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich). Would you just eat the blt without the bread for a BLT fix?

Neat ideas. I'm not sure how I would work with unsweet tea (I am a Southern Gal after all). I have used Splenda (or generic) effectively before. Does anyone do that.

And Jim that is a nice looking meal. How much bacon in that pile. (and that makes me think of a bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich). Would you just eat the blt without the bread for a BLT fix?

No Splenda. It is fancy dress for sugar.

I use 2-4 drops of liquid stevia in my bulletproof coffee. SWEET AS HELL! Before Keto I drank my coffee super sweet and BLONDE. Now I drink it bulletproof or black.

The bulletproof recipe is in the Keto recipe thread.

BLT salad. Lite on the tomatoes but heavy on the greens and bacon.

They say Splenda is not good for ya, I do use it once in a while, ,,
but it's amazing how a little REAL lemon juices wakes up unsweet tea.

The week I started..
I bought some kerrygold butter,
I fried skinless chicken tenders,
I fried burger patties,
I eat lots of eggs and bacon,
Lots of salads and cold slaw (mayo only),

I eat lots of nuts, macadamia, walnuts, pecans, some peanuts,
I got fresh strawberries and cool whip, blackberries and cool whip,
Sausages , if(low carbs no fillers)
Just no carbs , NO sugar.

NO cookies, NO carbs at all... then you go into ketosis pretty quick.

The lbs just fall off , I think I was losing a lb a day .
10 days 10lbs.

Jim

I have been at some level of Low Carb / Keto for approx. 5 years. Drug into it kicking and screaming by my wife when she was finally done having kids. For her it was about reclaiming the body of her pre-child bearing years. For me it was about making sure I never developed diabetes and maintain my lean body mass. I truly believe this is how the human body was designed to eat. The benefits are just too incredible for it not to be. I could spent the next 10 lines praising low carb / keto, but I don't need to. The information is everywhere.

Splenda is made by mixing liquid sucralose with wood pulp. The liquid sucralose is okay on keto if your body responds positively to it. The wood pulp however is not a good idea as it's 100% carbohydrate. Liquid stevia is the same way. If your body is okay with it, its great. But avoid it in packet form.

The first 3 days of low carb can be tough. Your body is adapting from a food burning machine to a fat burning machine. Drink lots of water, consume extra sodium, consider supplementing with magnesium, eat plenty of fats and meat, enjoy some green leafy vegetables and start learning the difference between feeling hungry and being hungry. For most people 3 days is when your body will start producing ketones and the sugar is mostly out of your body. It is also when you will start feeling better, sleeping better, lose your appetite, lose your cravings and start to see your body deflate. Keto is very powerful anti-inflammatory and keeps you from retaining water.

Best resources there is for low carb / keto is dietdoctor.com. You can lose yourself in that site. They have a free 30 day membership that let's you dig in deeper. I have been a paid member for around 3 years and refuse to let it go. They keep adding new info almost every week.

Hmm, I'm going to read and think on that a few times. Sounds a lot like when I started Atkins about 14 years ago (that long?) wow.

I know I liked it once I got past that first 3 days adjusting.

I will warn you about the 'keto flu'. Flu like symptoms without the sick part.

I was able to skip the flu by slowly cutting the carbs the month before I started full Keto. I started using butter and lard to cook foods and stopped buying carb loaded foods even for my family. I ate meat (broiled with butter) and green veggies for dinner every night.

Another idea to consider is logging your food and counting your macros. Guessing is okay when you start out but pretty soon you want to be as accurate as possible with your percentages. I believe both @Grimm and I use or have used My Fitness Pal.

I started keto over the summer, And have had great results, way more energy, lost probably 50 pounds, I didn't scale when I first started Keto, but I know what I weighed last Christmas. I have done the low carb to almost no carb stuff before with marginal results. I also find that I need way less food now and no sweet cravings. I also found Lindt 90% dark chocholate, that is a nice treat. My sister is on Keto too, She is having good results. When I had limited 'net access I missed the dietdoctor site, being able to see the meal possibilities there helps ease the boredom. but since I live alone the effort to make the "fancy" dishes isn't worth it for me, but knowing that they are possible and that I could suggest that my sister make them helps.
Long story short if you struggle with weight control and can handle the fats, keto is a great way to eat.

I have found that each individual handles things differently, but any glucose based food in much quantity needs to be broken down by insulin, the closer to the natural state a food is the easier it is for the body to process.

I use lemon flavored stevia liquid in my ice tea when I feel the need for "sweet tea" though most of the time I drink it unsweetened.

I use lemon flavored stevia liquid in my ice tea when I feel the need for "sweet tea" though most of the time I drink it unsweetened.

I use vanilla liquid stevia in my coffee or in keto mug cakes.

Back