Keto Eating?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you find the flavored liquid stevia?

Vitacost.com

They have a brand called SweetLeaf and Now Foods. I like the Now Foods ones. My bottle has lasted FOOOOOOOREVER. It just takes a few drops.

I'm confused on the sugars. It says artificial sweeteners are ok, but I use Truvia, which is natural sugar, sort of. Is this good or bad?

I would call Truvia bad. It's partly sugar and sugar is not a healthy product.

Unless you are picking leaves from the stevia plant every sweetener is processed or to some degree artificial. Anything in a powdered or crystal form either includes actual sugar cane (which is not good) or a binder like wood pulp (also not good). The two best liquid sweeteners out there are liquid stevia and liquid sucralose. Which one is right for you depends on taste and how your body responds in regards to insulin production. I prefer liquid sucralose, but using a blood sugar meter I have tested and know it does not effect me negatively. YYMV. I buy it from Amazon in 16oz containers. When I started doing so I would make a pitcher of iced tea or fresh squeezed lemonade and add around 20 drops or so per gallon. Now I am down to 8 drops or so. The longer you are off sugar, the more sensitive you taste buds are to sweetness. Things like strawberries and blackberries are now sweeter to me than a rich chocolate cake would have been before I was keto.

Also keep in my mind I am on keto for health and happiness, not weight loss. Any sweeteners can be a cause of weight loss slowing or stalling.

There isn't anything not to like about eating this way. I have followed some form of low carbs for a long time now, but I am one of those hard cases. In fact, Dr. Atkins said the only people he can't help lose weight is the ones suffering from Candida. So as of two weeks ago, I went all the way back to Atkins 72. It is stricter, but even on Keto, I was only eating 20 carbs and most of the time it was less. I have been working on the Candida for a few months now and it takes time and patience. Especially doing it yourself naturally. The important thing is that you do have to cook and some people don't like to do that. Most of the time we eat meat and salad for supper and I add something extra for my husband who is a big eater and hard worker. He doesn't have an extra pound anywhere. I also don't eat any nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, paprika and chili powder, for me) for the time being. I feel good on it. Anytime I eat sugar or wheat, I can tell the difference.

When people tell me "they just couldn't eat low carb" I remind them that the premium meals at the nicest restaurants are almost always low carb. There's a reason for it too, because they are flavorful, natural and delicious. Then I show them this picture of a low carb lunch and ask them how they could NOT eat keto.

Lunch.jpg

Dang! That looks so good. I find that Keto items are those that will ruin if not used pretty quickly, so fresh is the name. I'm about to yank that meat out of that photo and chew on it. I love to stir fry meat (beef preferably) zuchinnis, mushrooms and onions. When done, some ginger sauce with it. Oh, yummy.
I have found that eating this way seems to be more expensive, but maybe the less of it will offset the cheapness of carbs.

Dang! That looks so good. I find that Keto items are those that will ruin if not used pretty quickly, so fresh is the name. I'm about to yank that meat out of that photo and chew on it. I love to stir fry meat (beef preferably) zuchinnis, mushrooms and onions. When done, some ginger sauce with it. Oh, yummy.
I have found that eating this way seems to be more expensive, but maybe the less of it will offset the cheapness of carbs.

Our food budget went up at first, but eventually it came back down. It did not take long for us to stop buying junk, to start eating far less food and to stop having to buy things for heartburn (not to mention other medical cost savings)! It also got us into gardening, shopping at the farmer's market, buying meat direct from the producer, etc. Keto really is a lifestyle more than just a diet.

When people tell me "they just couldn't eat low carb" I remind them that the premium meals at the nicest restaurants are almost always low carb. There's a reason for it too, because they are flavorful, natural and delicious. Then I show them this picture of a low carb lunch and ask them how they could NOT eat keto.

View attachment 836
Everything but the middle looks good. That middle part looks like my rabbit feeders.

I'd rather just eat the rabbit and take a multi vitamin.

I was not a veggies person at all before going keto. But when you cut out processed foods, simple sugars, grains, fast food, etc. you find variety can be somewhat lacking. Veggies, olives, berries, nuts, seeds, etc. suddenly become much more important in adding variety and nutrition to your diet. But no worries, Rabbit is low carb. :)

Here's a good article for the Keto folks. We go through 3-4 real lemons or so a week and frequently add it to water and tea.

Benefits of Lemon Water on a Keto Diet

A ketosis diet is one of the best when it comes to proven weight loss benefits. It has also been shown to reduce the risk of cancer, treat and reverse cognitive impairments such as Alzheimer’s disease, and control diabetes (1).

But some people still have their doubts about eating a diet that is high in acidic-forming foods. One quick and easy way to neutralize acids in the body is by adding lemon juice to your diet. Here’s why you need lemon water when you’re on the keto diet and how to make it.

Lemon Juice and PH Levels
Lemons are natural disinfectants. They safely and effectively clean everything they come in contact with, including toxins in the urine. Although lemons are acidic (citric acid), they transform into an alkaline substance once they are in your body, making them one of the healthiest foods you can eat to remove toxins and return your state of health to an alkaline one.

When it comes to understanding the importance of lemon, it helps to know a thing or two about your pH levels. Your body needs to maintain a pH level of 7.35-7.45 in order for your cells to function properly. When the body takes on a blood pH level that is too acidic, it can no longer work to the best of its abilities. This state of health is known as metabolic acidosis (2).

Uric acid is a byproduct of purine, which is found in many foods on the keto diet such as caffeine, organ meats (liver and kidney), turkey, game meats, sardines, and seafood. Because the kidneys are responsible for removing toxins and acids from the body through the urine, having too much uric acid is associated with an increased risk of kidney disease. Neutralizing uric acid before it reaches the kidneys is an important part of keeping them healthy (3).

Lemon juice keeps the body alkaline and reverses acidosis by dissolving uric acid crystals, which is crucial for improving inflammatory conditions such as gout. It also keeps your kidneys happy. Rather than eliminating meats and other foods that are high in purine from the diet, a simple solution is to drink lemon water.

glass-of-lemon-water.jpg

Benefits of Lemon Water
Lemon water is high in vitamin C, which acts like an antioxidant in the body to prevent disease and keep the immune system strong. Drinking lemon water with meals also helps you absorb some nutrients better, such as iron (4).

Lemon water contains antioxidants that keep the body healthy by reducing inflammation, strengthening blood vessels, and preventing plaque buildup in arteries. It also keeps the kidneys healthy by preventing kidney stones, which is often caused by having too much uric acid in the body (5, 6).

How To Get Started

Lemon water is the easiest thing in the world to make. Start by slicing two or three fresh lemon slices and adding to a large water jug. Leave in the refrigerator and sip throughout the day. It’s a good idea to let your lemons sit in the water for a few minutes or even overnight to saturate the water. You can also add a few slices of organic lemon to hot water to aid digestion first thing in the morning.

https://www.ketovale.com/benefits-of-lemon-water-on-keto-diet/

Is there a problem with squeezing the lemons? Or should they just sit in the water?

I am a squeezer but then I just throw it in. Usually in a pitcher and not a glass, but it has to be used in a reasonable period of time.

I use Morton Salt Lite. It also goes by the name Balance Salt. It is a mixture of salt and potassium. I sprinkle it on food and add 1/2 tsp to 20 oz of water.

I use Morton Salt Lite. It also goes by the name Balance Salt. It is a mixture of salt and potassium. I sprinkle it on food and add 1/2 tsp to 20 oz of water.

Thank you. I am going to pick some up. I currently just use table salt in my water and was thinking you had come up with a keto sports drink that offered more than just sodium.

Thank you. I am going to pick some up. I currently just use table salt in my water and was thinking you had come up with a keto sports drink that offered more than just sodium.

Maybe you are thinking of the flavored powdered magnesium I take as well. 2 tsp cherry flavor added to 20 oz of water. Its called Natural Calm.

Last edited:
Maybe you are thinking of the flavored powdered magnesium I take as well. 2 tsp cherry flavor added to 20 oz of water. Its called Natural Calm.

Hmm, now I want to combine the two and make a super drink!

I am thinking about fasting 2 days a week, Mondays & Thursdays. But on those days I want to drink a cup of bone broth for lunch and then something like natural calm with salt lite in the late afternoon. But I am also getting tired of chicken broth & butter on my eating days and want to mix it up.

quick update,

I started Keto ,,,about Sep 15 , 2017.... (thanks to Sentry and Grimm)

I lost 30 lbs in about 30 days,

Went from 250 to 220..
I am at my goal weight, so I have been adding a few carbs a day, still no more than 40-60 gr..
Not junk carbs, I mean like a small Yam, or 1 piece of homemade bread , or white beans, lima beans.

Just to maintain the 220 lb .I'm afeered if I stayed at 5% or less carbs, I would evaporate into thin air.:dunno:

I am feeling so energetic, and went thru the Flu , a couple weeks ago, in 3 days , with very mild affects.:cool:

I'll probably live forever now, as I seem to be unageing.:woo hoo:

Jim

Hmm, now I want to combine the two and make a super drink!

I am thinking about fasting 2 days a week, Mondays & Thursdays. But on those days I want to drink a cup of bone broth for lunch and then something like natural calm with salt lite in the late afternoon. But I am also getting tired of chicken broth & butter on my eating days and want to mix it up.

I tried adding Waterdrops to my Natural Calm last night to add a tad more flavor. Waterdrops is a stevia water additive made by Sweetleaf. It made chugging the Natural Calm easier.

Maybe adding more flavor will make it feel like you are having a gatorade.

quick update,

I started Keto ,,,about Sep 15 , 2017.... (thanks to Sentry and Grimm)

I lost 30 lbs in about 30 days,

Went from 250 to 220..
I am at my goal weight, so I have been adding a few carbs a day, still no more than 40-60 gr..
Not junk carbs, I mean like a small Yam, or 1 piece of homemade bread , or white beans, lima beans.

Just to maintain the 220 lb .I'm afeered if I stayed at 5% or less carbs, I would evaporate into thin air.:dunno:

I am feeling so energetic, and went thru the Flu , a couple weeks ago, in 3 days , with very mild affects.:cool:

I'll probably live forever now, as I seem to be unageing.:woo hoo:

Jim

I had more than my normal carbs over Nov and Dec. Gained back about 7 lbs. In the last 11 days I have dropped that 7. I figure if I only gained that small amount over the holidays then I think I can risk it once a year. If I feel like it.

Getting back into full ketosis was weird this time. I had the Keto flu for 3 days but it was only a persistent headache that came in the afternoon. It came later and later those 3 days. Day one it came on at noon. Day two was about 4pm then it came after the girls went to bed on the third. Then no headache! The great part was the pounds still came off during the first three days.

I have recently been reading about something called cyclical keto [which is a low-carbohydrate diet with intermittent periods of high or moderate carbohydrate consumption] and feast-famine cycling. My wife essentially increased her carb consumption considerably over a 3 day period during the holidays, but she fasted for 24 hour before and she fasted for 24 hours after. After the second fast she returned to strict keto. Other than a minor upset stomach she had no other issues. I would consider that cyclical keto, where feast-famine cycling seems more seasonal. Both are interesting ideas however.

I have recently been reading about something called cyclical keto [which is a low-carbohydrate diet with intermittent periods of high or moderate carbohydrate consumption] and feast-famine cycling. My wife essentially increased her carb consumption considerably over a 3 day period during the holidays, but she fasted for 24 hour before and she fasted for 24 hours after. After the second fast she returned to strict keto. Other than a minor upset stomach she had no other issues. I would consider that cyclical keto, where feast-famine cycling seems more seasonal. Both are interesting ideas however.

I think Maria from KetoDietApp does this. She hasn't given the details in her blog but she has mentioned a higher carb consumption in the winter around the holidays.

I wanted to share that I am always on the look out for Keto friendly travel foods. I have been taking shelf stable packets of ghee, coconut oil and a half pint of heavy cream with me to my folks house for my coffee. No big deal. Recently I found a product called Knowbrainer the thinker's creamer. It is in single serving packets and is suppose to be grass fed butter and MCT oil only. I bought a box a while back but haven't use them until today. We went to brunch and I tried one in my coffee. I added cream and frothed it but it didn't seem to have the same yum factor as when I make it at home. I'll reserve these for travel and brunches only but go back to the ghee and oil once I use these up.

Latest posts

Back