Keto Eating?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was shooting for 210 ish when I started, got to 208, was really happy bought new jeans, then dropped to 200 for a while, then 195 where I seem to be holding, my new jeans are a little loose now. I have bumped my carbs up a tiny bit once in a while, I had farmers sausage (0 carb) with a can of corn (20 Corrected) and BBQ sauce 30 or so carbs (Not sure if I BBQ sauce is as delicious as my memory banks said it was) with little or no ill effects although I may be able to blame a headache on it. I don't seem to be nearly as lactose intolerant as I used to be, I had cream in multiple coffee today,and no ill effects (I used to bloat a bit) I haven't seen my sister since boxing day, she should be pretty slim by now, I guess I should invite my self to her house for dinner or something.

I was shooting for 210 ish when I started, got to 208, was really happy bought new jeans, then dropped to 200 for a while, then 195 where I seem to be holding, my new jeans are a little loose now. I have bumped my carbs up a tiny bit once in a while, I had farmers sausage (0 carb) with a can of corn (20 Corrected) and BBQ sauce 30 or so carbs (Not sure if I BBQ sauce is as delicious as my memory banks said it was) with little or no ill effects although I may be able to blame a headache on it. I don't seem to be nearly as lactose intolerant as I used to be, I had cream in multiple coffee today,and no ill effects (I used to bloat a bit) I haven't seen my sister since boxing day, she should be pretty slim by now, I guess I should invite my self to her house for dinner or something.

I use to have issues with lactose as well. Keto cleared it up! And that's a good thing since I eat cheese and cream all the time.
:coffee:

Cheese and yogurt never bothered me much, but I seemed to bloat with ice cream or Cream(which I love) in my coffee or on desert,

Dang!
I had cut out processed foods out of my diet several years ago.
Eat very little sugar or sweetners.
Only time I get bread,home made noodles etc is when I make them from Scratch.
Never knew it was Keto's. lol.
Do eat lot of meat,fruit,greens.
Garden for the fresh produce.
I suffer from border line diabetic.
Need to loose about 65 pounds
Then will be high end of Army weight.

Dang!
I had cut out processed foods out of my diet several years ago.
Eat very little sugar or sweetners.
Only time I get bread,home made noodles etc is when I make them from Scratch.
Never knew it was Keto's. lol.
Do eat lot of meat,fruit,greens.
Garden for the fresh produce.
I suffer from border line diabetic.
Need to loose about 65 pounds
Then will be high end of Army weight.

I don't eat fruit. I never was a fruit eater even as a kid.

If you want to get into Ketosis you need to up the fat intake.

I ran out of Ketone urine test strips the other day. I had some I got before I finished breast feeding the baby but they never measured the same amount of Ketones as the CVS brand strips or the Ketostix. I picked up a box of the Walmart brand tests to see if they are any good and I like them alot more than the Ketogenic marketed ones. The color guide is easy to read and the test colors match the guide almost dead on making them pretty accurate! At $6 for 50 they aren't cheap but then they aren't as expensive as the Ketostix.

Not all fruit is created equally. Fruits like black berries and raspberries are good (in moderation), but things like apples, oranges, grapes, etc. are horribly high in sugar. Homemade bread & pasta is a no go. And like Grimm said, fats are essential.

This seems like a good place to re-insert this, but remember this food pyramid is by volume. You will actually eat more grams of fat than anything else .

bigstock-Keto-Food-Pyramid-96663401.jpg

IMO all the long lived people never even heard of a special diet of any kind.

I do think some of us have genes that prevent us from eating some foods .
I know I will not eat alot of meat no matter what happens. I just don't care for it that much. I do think we eat way too many carbs though.

But if it works fro yall then thats good.

Not all fruit is created equally. Fruits like black berries and raspberries are good (in moderation), but things like apples, oranges, grapes, etc. are horribly high in sugar. Homemade bread & pasta is a no go. And like Grimm said, fats are essential.

This seems like a good place to re-insert this, but remember this food pyramid is by volume. You will actually eat more grams of fat than anything else .

View attachment 2677

All of the excluded items are my favorites after meat.

Carbs are what they put in food to make it taste good.;)

I started back on my keto diet a bit ago. I was off it over the holidays and surprisingly kept loosing weight. That win, win situation did not last so back onto keto. My blood sugar immediately came back where I wanted it and I was able to quit one of my diabetic meds, most of the time. The wife cooked up some cabbage and onions, yum, and we each had a sausage and a half. WTHeck, why are our blood sugars so high. As it turns out there are 9 grams of carb in each sausage. No wonder they tasted so good. I'm sure the five different kinds of sugar has something to do with that.

One of the leftover sausages, split between the two of us, in our breakfast scramble wasn't too bad. I guess 4.5 carbs at a meal is better for me than 13.5 carbs. We learned the lesson to read the package on processed meats.

Actually carbs fall into three categories (1) very unhealthy sugary treats (2) really cheap processed and imitation chemical-laden foods and (3) pretty much just something to get your food to your mouth or collect the part of the food that tastes good. Pasta is nearly flavorless, it's the sauce that makes it. I often make spiralized zucchini or spaghetti squash with chicken parmesan or pork cutlets that even carb eaters will admit is just as good as or better than if I had made pasta with it. We make both a keto marinara and a multi cheese alfredo, always from scratch. A lettuce wrapped sandwich lets the delicious flavors of the meats, cheeses, red onion, tomato, mayo, etc. come alive instead of being drowned out in bread. Mashed cauliflower with cheese, bacon, sour cream and chives is every bit as good (or better) next to a fat steak as a baked potato.

The longer I am keto the more I realize that most carbs just dilute the flavor of real wholesome foods. People have become to accustom to bland flavors that the boldness of well prepared keto meals might be too much.

I came up with an awesome salad... I am not a salad person but wow this is good. My buddy makes his with corn chips to give it more crunch.

Green cabbage
Red/purple cabbage
Red leaf lettuce
Iceberg lettuce
Taco seasoned ground beef
Sour cream
Shredded cheese

Mix it all together and chow down.

You have to experiment with amounts but what I made would have fed 5 people. Opps

Those excluded items I find to be more addictive. I can go without the carbs for a long while, but if I have something like pizza, it is like a very high hill to climb up to get back onto keto for me. I don't know when I last ate pasta, and many of the other things on the do not eat list. It feels like I am an addict. If I have one hit, I am hooked again.

Actually carbs fall into three categories (1) very unhealthy sugary treats (2) really cheap processed and imitation chemical-laden foods and (3) pretty much just something to get your food to your mouth or collect the part of the food that tastes good. Pasta is nearly flavorless, it's the sauce that makes it. I often make spiralized zucchini or spaghetti squash with chicken parmesan or pork cutlets that even carb eaters will admit is just as good as or better than if I had made pasta with it. We make both a keto marinara and a multi cheese alfredo, always from scratch. A lettuce wrapped sandwich lets the delicious flavors of the meats, cheeses, red onion, tomato, mayo, etc. come alive instead of being drowned out in bread. Mashed cauliflower with cheese, bacon, sour cream and chives is every bit as good (or better) next to a fat steak as a baked potato.

The longer I am keto the more I realize that most carbs just dilute the flavor of real wholesome foods. People have become to accustom to bland flavors that the boldness of well prepared keto meals might be too much.

This too is true. Although I didn't realize how many kinds of carbs there were.
Also it is not the sugar as much as it is the GMO and process of making it. Cane sugar is not bad fro you. We have some cane growing here a 90 yr old neighbor gave us a few years ago. He nor his wife have and extra fat on them at all. He grows cane every year and they make syrup,etc.. He is also a bee keeper. I try my best to save his bees who get stuck in out greenhouse now and then. He said bees are i ntrouble.

Every kind of sugar is horrible for you unless you eat it in extreme moderation. Sugar is not as bad as high fructose corn syrup and bleached flour, but it's certainly not good for you. The modern American obesity epidemic and Diabetes epidemics are a direct result of the amount of sugar in their diet. Not because of the nutritional aspect but because of our bodies hormonal response to sugar. We (humans) are not really designed to eat sugar. We are designed to eat meat and vegetables and unadulterated fruit, i.e. whole foods.

Every kind of sugar is horrible for you unless you eat it in extreme moderation. Sugar is not as bad as high fructose corn syrup and bleached flour, but it's certainly not good for you. The modern American obesity epidemic and Diabetes epidemics are a direct result of the amount of sugar in their diet. Not because of the nutritional aspect but because of our bodies hormonal response to sugar. We (humans) are not really designed to each sugar. We are designed to eat meat and vegetables and unadulterated fruit, i.e. whole foods.

Well don't tell that oldest living woman who lived to be 120 yrs old that. She loved her French pastries full of sugar and flour.
I think animal fat is good fro us and vegan's don't seem to live that long but too much meat and dairy is not ,imo.
Just be careful and keep check on yourself. I plan on having steak this week myself.:great: And of course fish.:thumbs up:

A man in the civil war got shot in the head and lived to a ripe old age. That does not infer that it's okay to be shot in the head. Most people would have died right away. The same way most people who eat sugar filled pastries don't live very long.

A salad with Romaine and iceberg lettuce, tomato wedges, Beef - turkey - ham cut into strips, hard boiled eggs quartered, and some sharp cheddar and pepper jack cheese slices cut into strips with sliced olives sprinkled on top is the kind of chef's salad that I fix and enjoy. There is so many flavors there that no dressing is needed but some salt, pepper and the juice from a lemon wedge goes well with it.

A man in the civil war got shot in the head and lived to a ripe old age. That does not infer that it's okay to be shot in the head. Most people would have died right away. The same way most people who eat sugar filled pastries don't live very long.

You can be so narrow minded sometimes Sentry. Perhaps he was a Democrat and didn't have a brain.:dancing:

Today I jumped back in to Keto eating. To kick start Ketosis I fasted until about 8pm then ate a tiny bit. I am surprised I didn't get a headache or tummy grumbles. But exercising this morning probably helped burn the last of the carbs/sugars hanging out in my liver.

Today I jumped back in to Keto eating. To kick start Ketosis I fasted until about 8pm then ate a tiny bit. I am surprised I didn't get a headache or tummy grumbles. But exercising this morning probably helped burn the last of the carbs/sugars hanging out in my liver.

I take a light detour from time to time, but I am not as fortunate as you. Even a single non-keto meal and I get to feel like crap for 2-3 days. It's bad enough that I often look on non-keto foods like poison or tequila (which is a form of poison).

Welcome back to Keto! Glad it's going smooth for you.

The 120 y.o French lady ate in moderation like most French do , they don't pile up their plates with food. Small portions. Either way in an interview she said she loved pastry.
But not getting shot in the head.:D

I take a light detour from time to time, but I am not as fortunate as you. Even a single non-keto meal and I get to feel like crap for 2-3 days. It's bad enough that I often look on non-keto foods like poison or tequila (which is a form of poison).

Welcome back to Keto! Glad it's going smooth for you.

Thanks.

I worked out today as well. It feels weird since I have never been one for heavy exercise. I had my bulletproof coffee and a Keto avocado deviled egg this morning and a romaine salad for lunch. Dinner is pork shoulder and broccoli. If I want to snack I'll have another egg or a cheese stick.

Still no headaches or grumbles.

I just got back on my keto too. I'm back from one trip and will do keto till I leave for the next one. Keto doesn't work when I'm eating at restaruants and especially other peoples houses. I still cut down on the carbs but I don't quite make the full keto thing.

I just got back on my keto too. I'm back from one trip and will do keto till I leave for the next one. Keto doesn't work when I'm eating at restaruants and especially other peoples houses. I still cut down on the carbs but I don't quite make the full keto thing.

You have to do what works for you and I understand what you are implying, but I have remained keto on cruise ships, a trip to Belize, a trip to Puerto Rico, family vacations, etc. When we visit friends/relatives we tell them that we eat keto but to just cook what they are comfortable with. If we can't work around what they prepared we will either just fast or snack on food we bring (like macadamia nuts). I have known people who felt it was impolite to not eat the meal provided, but I would not expect a Jew to eat a non-kosher food item in my home or a vegan to eat a steak. We are keto people who eat low carb high fat. Restaurants however are easy to eat keto at. I have never found one yet that didn't have keto options.

You have to do what works for you and I understand what you are implying, but I have remained keto on cruise ships, a trip to Belize, a trip to Puerto Rico, family vacations, etc. When we visit friends/relatives we tell them that we eat keto but to just cook what they are comfortable with. If we can't work around what they prepared we will either just fast or snack on food we bring (like macadamia nuts). I have known people who felt it was impolite to not eat the meal provided, but I would not expect a Jew to eat a non-kosher food item in my home or a vegan to eat a steak. We are keto people who eat low carb high fat. Restaurants however are easy to eat keto at. I have never found one yet that didn't have keto options.

I have been doing a lot of research on eating out and convenience meals that are Keto. Keto Apted as a great resource pdf about these issues. They only recommend brands and such that they use themselves. I have found that there are alot of keto apps for smartphones that have info on eating out and macros of keto-ish foods. It is worth looking into if you have a smartphone. If you don't a prepaid smartphone can be used without buying minutes where ever you find a wifi signal.

When we eat out I opt for a salad and blue cheese dressing if I know what brand/recipe is used on the side. Or I carry with me single serving packets of keto-friendly dressing. Walden Farms has some sugar-free/carb-free dressings and sauces. I try to order beef/steak with no sauce or fillers. Butter on the side. Broccoli or cauliflower steamed and more butter on the side.

It seems to work out for me. I just have to resist the 'free' bread they always put on tables to fill you up before your meal arrives.

Latest posts

Back