Keto Eating?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to do what works for you and I understand what you are implying, but I have remained keto on cruise ships, a trip to Belize, a trip to Puerto Rico, family vacations, etc. When we visit friends/relatives we tell them that we eat keto but to just cook what they are comfortable with. If we can't work around what they prepared we will either just fast or snack on food we bring (like macadamia nuts). I have known people who felt it was impolite to not eat the meal provided, but I would not expect a Jew to eat a non-kosher food item in my home or a vegan to eat a steak. We are keto people who eat low carb high fat. Restaurants however are easy to eat keto at. I have never found one yet that didn't have keto options.
I hear you. When possible I take the keto options at restaurants. I can often take few or no carbs when at a private home. My next trip will be to visit my mom on her 90th birthday. I've been eating what she offers, without complaint, if I know what's good for me, since the day I was born. If you want to explain to my mother that she isn't cooking right I can probably sell enough tickets to pay for your trip. :popcorn: This little old lady has backed down TSA when she thought they crossed the line. I'm too old to change my training around her and not brave enough to try to get her to do anything differently.

I hear you. When possible I take the keto options at restaurants. I can often take few or no carbs when at a private home. My next trip will be to visit my mom on her 90th birthday. I've been eating what she offers, without complaint, if I know what's good for me, since the day I was born. If you want to explain to my mother that she isn't cooking right I can probably sell enough tickets to pay for your trip. :popcorn: This little old lady has backed down TSA when she thought they crossed the line. I'm too old to change my training around her and not brave enough to try to get her to do anything differently.

Try fasting the first full day home from your trip. It will help put you back into ketosis quickly.

I hate to think how eating full keto at my folks home hurts my mom's feelings. My parents are worried that a ketogenic diet will give me heart disease and a fatty liver all because my dad listens to his stuffy 80+ year old doctor covered by medicare. My endocrinologist who eats Keto and is all of 110lbs told me to do this before I told her I had been looking into it. I'll follow the advice of the doctor who is practicing what she preaches and not towing the government party line.

Both my father and my wife's father are diabetic, my father in law decided to go Paleo and my dad decided to just eat lower carb. So both houses are pretty adept at keeping carbs low and providing options. However both found out they were diabetic after we started keto. Before their conversions the toughest sell on keto was my momma, but she soon adapted and started to work up low carb recipes with my wife. That is how "fauxtato salad" came into being. My mom makes the BEST potato salad in the world. She still does, only now it's roasted radishes, steamed cauliflower and her signature dressing and seasoning. If she could only replicate a low carb version of her sour cream chocolate cake. :)

My default restaurant meal is a Cobb or Chef Salad or a grilled chicken salad. Usually with blue cheese dressing. Or I just get a steak and some grilled vegetables. I know from trial and error that I can get into the 35-45 carb range and remain in ketosis, where my wife can go into the ridiculous 70-80 carb range and not get kicked out. When we are on vacations, eating out or at events the goal is always to just stay in ketosis and not fret the 20 carb keto restriction. Always, of course, followed by a fast and lots of water.

Both my father and my wife's father are diabetic, my father in law decided to go Paleo and my dad decided to just eat lower carb. So both houses are pretty adept at keeping carbs low and providing options. However both found out they were diabetic after we started keto. Before their conversions the toughest sell on keto was my momma, but she soon adapted and started to work up low carb recipes with my wife. That is how "fauxtato salad" came into being. My mom makes the BEST potato salad in the world. She still does, only now it's roasted radishes, steamed cauliflower and her signature dressing and seasoning. If she could only replicate a low carb version of her sour cream chocolate cake. :)

My default restaurant meal is a Cobb or Chef Salad or a grilled chicken salad. Usually with blue cheese dressing. Or I just get a steak and some grilled vegetables. I know from trial and error that I can get into the 35-45 carb range and remain in ketosis, where my wife can go into the ridiculous 70-80 carb range and not get kicked out. When we are on vacations, eating out or at events the goal is always to just stay in ketosis and not fret the 20 carb keto restriction. Always, of course, followed by a fast and lots of water.

Here is a recipe for sour cream chocolate keto cupcakes...

https://fittoservegroup.com/2017/04/11/low-carb-chocolate-sour-cream-cupcakes/

Maybe your mom can look at this and see if she can tweek it to taste more like her non-keto cake.

Well Car, I'd think the proof is in the ' pudding ' your NINETY YEAR OLD mother is serving.
Anything done in extreme can't be good for us. My Aunt died a week before her 100th B-Day,she never saw a carb or sweet she didn't like. She had more energy than a race horse. Okanawans live active long lives and they eat carbs but mostly greens very little meat. Somebody needs to warn them about not filling up on healthy animal flesh. :D

Well Car, I'd think the proof is in the ' pudding ' your NINETY YEAR OLD mother is serving.
Anything done in extreme can't be good for us. My Aunt died a week before her 100th B-Day,she never saw a carb or sweet she didn't like. She had more energy than a race horse. Okanawans live active long lives and they eat carbs but mostly greens very little meat. Somebody needs to warn them about not filling up on healthy animal flesh. :D

Okanawans are Japanese. For centuries the Japanese has eaten soy (bad for you), rice (high in carbs), fish (good for your heart and brain) and greens and carb heavy veggies. They have adapted to these foods as other groups have to their common diets as well. I am middle eastern. While most in the Middle East live close to the desert others live in areas that can grow crops (now they are mostly poppies). The typical middle eastern diet is meat and goats milk diary products. My body responds better to the low carb high fat diet rather than the soy heavy and carb rich diet others can eat.

Don't knock our diet choice until you have tried it.
:p

Resurrecting this topic. It’s not super old but anyway the wife and I are trying to work into Keto. We’ve made some changes but there’s a few difficult ones that will take effort. Hard ones for me are sugar in my morning coffee and my eveny beers and yep I like a few at night. I’ve read that the desire for alcohol and mainly the carbs will wain over time but otherwise I’m gonna struggle with that part for awhile. Done a lot of reading and some of the recipes are good but seems there’s a lot fewer choices that aren’t the same ingredients remixed. I’m wondering if others struggled with changes when they started Keto. Good part is we’re working together so it should ease the transition.

Resurrecting this topic. It’s not super old but anyway the wife and I are trying to work into Keto. We’ve made some changes but there’s a few difficult ones that will take effort. Hard ones for me are sugar in my morning coffee and my eveny beers and yep I like a few at night. I’ve read that the desire for alcohol and mainly the carbs will wain over time but otherwise I’m gonna struggle with that part for awhile. Done a lot of reading and some of the recipes are good but seems there’s a lot fewer choices that aren’t the same ingredients remixed. I’m wondering if others struggled with changes when they started Keto. Good part is we’re working together so it should ease the transition.

Try drinking bulletproof coffee. You can leave out any of the ingredients you don't like. I drink it with liquid stevia, 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp MCT oil and 2 tbsp heavy cream blended. When out I drink my coffee with just the stevia since I started carrying a small bottle of it in my purse.

I recommend getting the urine ketone test strips. They are $6 for 50 at Walmart. I see trace and small amounts of ketones with the strips as soon as the first 24 hours of getting back on track.

I just ordered another blood ketone test meter. I have been having issues finding strips for my other one even online. So I found one on that was cheap, reliable and takes the Keto-mojo strips (Care Touch makes them for Keto mojo and I got the Care Touch meter). The strips were even cheaper than the KM ones. I got 100 strips for the same price as the 50 pack from KM.

It's ALL about getting into ketosis. Once you are in ketosis (which can take 3 days or 3 weeks) the cravings, the appetite, etc. all disappear in their physical form, but they will remain in the mental form. However the mental stuff is easily pushed aside. I don't drink coffee and I don't drink alcohol, so I can't help you there. But I will tell you that when I started I desperately tried to hold onto the low carb versions of things. Most of them were disappointing. Then I embraced keto for what it is and decided to eat the very best I could staying within the macros. I found that a pure keto diet was actually amazing and nowadays I very rarely every have the urge to eat something non keto. If you can have a medium rare steak, with sauteed mushrooms & onions, grilled asparagus with red pepper cream sauce and a glass of iced tea; you're not really suffering at all.

Good look. Just remember that keto is like driving a car with a barely functioning battery and a dead starter. As long as you keep going you're fine, but if you stop even for a minute, you are going to have a lot of trouble getting going again.

And yes, having a partner in keto does it make it much easier!

clever-brilliant-funny-ideas-people-hacks-6.jpg

So in the last year + I have come to know something called "lazy keto" or "dirty keto". It is essentially keep your carbs low, which still means avoiding flour, sugar, and the like, but unless you have a lot of weight to lose you don't have to worry so much about counting carbs and indulge in some foods that are otherwise questionable. Any example of this is going to Burger King and getting a double Whopper with bacon no bun and eating it on a plate. Or throwing some deluxe American cheese into your veggies. Or finding the lowest sugar real BBQ sauce you can find and having a little on your pork ribs. It's not some donut munching free for all, but it's far less strict and easier to do. Again, not really for someone trying to get their weight down by 100+ lbs but will still do the trick (albeit slower) if you are looking to drop 20lbs or so. For me it also means getting in the scale more often to make sure I keep my weight in check. Did I mention that I love blueberries and I have been eating them regularly all summer? Mmmmmm.

I've been trying to go as low carb as possible. That is not possible when I visit Mom as she takes it personally when you don't eat what she wants. The wife help me some but she still puts some carbs on the table. Dirty Keto is probably the best that you could call my diet.

Latest posts

Back