Keto Recipes And Meal Ideas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
With the multitude of keto members here this seems like a good idea. After all keto is more than just meat on a plate with a side of greens. Although to be fair that is what I eat a lot of the time.

Here's one to get thing started, to be honest I could by taste more than I do be recipe.

Bacon-wrapped Chicken Griller

Take a good sized de-boned chicken breast and fillet in half, but only about 80% of the way through. Inside place a slice of pepper jack cheese, some slices of jalapeno or bell pepper or both and a few slices of mushroom. Close it up and sprinkle with your favorite no or low sugar meat rub. You can also just use some paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper or whatever you like. Wrap in bacon until nearly the entire breast is tightly wound. Use toothpicks to keep things in place. Place in smoker, grill or oven and cook to internal temp of approx. 155+ degrees and then rest until 165 degrees. I also make a low carb BBQ sauce that I will sometime use to mop these breasts as they cook.

Did the thread at PS get deleted?

Anyway...
Here is the pumpkin cheesecake recipe I made this Thanksgiving...

https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/pumpkin-cheesecake-cupcakes/

Pumpkin Cheesecake Cupcakes
Servings Prep Time Cook Time
11 Cupcakes 20 Minutes 70 Minutes

Ingredients
Crust
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 2 tbsp erythritol
  • 1/2 cup Coconut flour
  • 2 tbsp Butter
  • salt
Pumpkin Cheesecake Filling
  • 8 oz Cream Cheese
  • 5 tbsp erythritol
  • 3 tbsp sour cream
  • 3 tbps Heavy Whipping Cream
  • 6 tbsp Pumpkin Puree
  • 11/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1 large Egg

Instructions
Crust
  1. Combine dry ingredients: coconut flour, erythritol and salt. Set aside.
  2. In another bowl whisk together vanilla and melted coconut oil.
  3. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients throughly combining.
  4. Add in cubes of room temperature butter and use hand to form dough.
  5. Using your hand mold the dough into the bottom of each cup of your greased cupcake pan. We use a silicon cupcake mold.
  6. Place pan into a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes (depending on thickness of crust layer).
  7. Once cooked, pull out and set aside to cool.
Filling
  1. Using hand mixer cream together the room temperature cream cheese and erythritol.
  2. Add egg, sour cream and heavy whipping cream. Continue to mix until thoroughly combined.
  3. Use 2/3 of batter filling up the cupcake pan.
  4. Add pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice to remaining 1/3 of batter and combine well (even out all lumps).
  5. Slowly layer the remaining (newly created pumpkin cheesecake mixture) on top of the cheesecake layer in the cupcake pan.
  6. Place into a 300 degree oven for 55-60 minutes. Use toothpick to check for a clean pull through.
  7. Place in fridge to chill and serve cold. Enjoy!

Easy Mashed Cauliflower:

There are many recipes for mashed cauliflower, some are simple and some are not, this is the quickest way I have found to make them. We use mashed cauliflower as a side, to make "loaded" mashed cauli with bacon and cheese, use them as a base for sherried beef and beef stroganoff, to have with a gravy along side roasts or turkey, to cover with mushroom cream sauce to accompany Norwegian meatballs, and more. Low in carbs with lots of wonderful benefits, cauliflower is a sort of keto superfood.

- Boil frozen or fresh cauliflower florets until just over done, you want them to be softer than your normally would. I usually add 90-120 seconds to the cook time.

- Thoroughly drain preferably in a strainer. Water is the enemy of thick mashed cauli.

- Return the cauliflower to the empty pot and add (per bag or small/med head) 1-2 tbsp of salted butter, 1-2 tbsp heavy cream and 1-2 tbsp sour cream.

- Salt & pepper to taste.

- Mash with potato masher, should be very easy but you have to be thorough. Stop and stir with a good spoon and mash some more.

- They will thicken a bit as they sit or you can heat them up again to cook off any liquids. The mash will absorb some too.

- If you want even thicker mashed cauli you can add some xanthum gum before mashing.

Grimm's Bulletproof Coffee

• brewed coffee
  • 1 TBSP grass fed butter
  • 1 TBSP MCT oil or coconut oil
  • 2 TBSP heavy whipping cream

Blend in blender or use a frother to mix together.

Drink. Enjoy.

Cabbage Roll Casserole

This is a new recipe that I will make today. I have recently made cabbage roll soup, omitting the rice, as I will do with this recipe. If someone wanted to make this for non-keto family members, you could, maybe making two smaller casseroles, one with rice, one without. I will reduce the liquid since I am not adding the rice which would absorb the liquid. I am also going to watch because the baking time may not need to be as prescribed.

CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
8 servings

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves or 1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 pounds ground beef
1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
1 head green cabbage, shredded
1 cup uncooked rice (I am omitting for keto)
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups beef broth (reducing to 1 1/2 or 2 cups)
1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper, divided

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add onion and saute for about 3 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning and beef, breaking up the beef as you do. Fry the beef until it's brown, about 8 minutes, stirring regularly. Drain if needed.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomato sauce, rice, salt and half of the coarse ground pepper. Mix well to combine; this is your casserole mixture.
In a casserole dish, layer one-third of the cabbage, then one-third of the ground beef, and finally one-third of the casserole mixture. Repeat layers two more times.
Pour beef broth over the entire casserole. Cover with aluminum foil.
Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
After removing from oven, sprinkle entire casserole with remaining 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper.

Cabbage Roll Casserole

This is a new recipe that I will make today. I have recently made cabbage roll soup, omitting the rice, as I will do with this recipe. If someone wanted to make this for non-keto family members, you could, maybe making two smaller casseroles, one with rice, one without. I will reduce the liquid since I am not adding the rice which would absorb the liquid. I am also going to watch because the baking time may not need to be as prescribed.

CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
8 servings

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 pounds ground beef
1 teaspoon salt

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add onion and saute for about 3 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning and beef, breaking up the beef as you do. Fry the beef until it's brown, about 8 minutes, stirring regularly. Drain if needed.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomato sauce, rice, salt and half of the coarse ground pepper. Mix well to combine; this is your casserole mixture.
In a casserole dish, layer one-third of the cabbage, then one-third of the ground beef, and finally one-third of the casserole mixture. Repeat layers two more times.
After removing from oven, sprinkle entire casserole with remaining 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper.

Sounds delicious!

Cabbage Roll Casserole

CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
8 servings

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 pounds ground beef
1 teaspoon salt

While I was putting this in the oven, it occurred to me that rice could be served as a side dish for the non-keto folks.

While I was putting this in the oven, it occurred to me that rice could be served as a side dish for the non-keto folks.

When we make cabbage rolls that is what we do. We also make 'riced cauliflower' to serve as well.

I have always been the family cook and now I still fix the family meal and try to plan so I can eat some of what I fix. We were having my infamous 7 layer dip the other night and I realized that it would not be too difficult to turn the dip into a KETO friendly meal. Here is what I came up with:

Six Layer KETO Dip:

Ingredients:

1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 can sliced olives
1 cup salsa (made with red bell peppers, celery, tomatoes, onions, garlic and parsley)
taco seasoning (enough for 1 pound of beef) I make my own
1-1/2 cup avocado dip (3 avocados whipped add a teaspoon of lemon juice and up to ¼ cup butter as needed)

directions:

brown the ground beef, drain and add the taco seasoning and ½ cup of water. Cook until it thickens.
Layer a 9x9 glass cake pan with seasoned beef, cheddar cheese, avocado dip, sour cream, salsa, sliced olives
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 325F
Serve hot from the oven. Enjoy with a spoon or stiff cabbage leaves as chips. Serves 3 to 4.

You can try it as a dip with chips made from unleavened KETO bread. The chips won’t add much to the flavor but might add to the experience.

Taco Meat Seasoning

Cayenne ½ tea
Cumin 1Tab
Paprika 3 Tab
Oregano 1Tab
Minced Onions 2Tab
Onion Powder 1Tab
Salt 1tea
Sugar 1tea (leave out for KETO)
Garlic Powder 1Tab
Corn Starch 2Tab (leave out for KETO)
Beef Bouillon 1tea
Water 1 cup (reduce to ½ cup for KETO)

mix all dry ingredients well and add to drained browned beef mixing well.
Add water, cook and stir until incorporated

The taco seasoning isn't the same without the sugar but it's not too far off. The cornstarch and water are just to thicken the seasoned meat and cutting the water in half allows the spices to thicken it fine without the cornstarch. I don't know of anything that would replace the sugar without adding carbs so I will just put up with it. Making chips from the KETO bread recipe isn't hard to do, just leave out the baking powder and roll it out very thin and fry it like you would a corn tortilla. Salting it after frying it might help but it really doesn't taste like bread to begin with. I think I will stick with a spoon.

I hope I am not looking like I am spamming, but I am doing some house cleaning at the old house and wanted to share what I had over there. This happens to not have been there, but has been a recipe I have wanted to share.

http://www.completelyketo.com/harlan-kilsteins-keto-cabbage-soup/
Harlan Kilstein’s Keto Cabbage Soup

1-2 strips of short ribs
1 lg onion (diced)
1(28) oz can diced tomatoes
1(28) oz whole tomatoes
1 med cabbage shredded
1(14) oz can sauerkraut (no sugar)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup sweetener
6 cups water

Step Two: Mix and Simmer
Combine all ingredients in a pot.
Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2 hours on very low heat.
The longer you cook it the more the fat from the meat and the bones flavor the soup.

I loved the Keto thread in the other site! I will miss it and I may have to go back and reference it from time to time as there was a ton of interesting information there. Glad to see one started here even though I am more of an intermittent fasting girl instead of pure keto. But IF and Keto do go hand in hand with the ultimate goal of ketosis.

Hope Jim finds this thread.....he was inspirational.....as were many others that were active on the thread.

Last edited:
Grimm's Bulletproof Coffee

• brewed coffee
  • 1 TBSP grass fed butter
  • 1 TBSP MCT oil or coconut oil
  • 2 TBSP heavy whipping cream

Blend in blender or use a frother to mix together.

Drink. Enjoy.
That is the nastiest drink I've ever had.

That is the nastiest drink I've ever had.

I guess I don't mind it because I blend the hell out of it and normally drink black strong coffee my dad says tastes like dirt.

I do my bulletproof coffee shaken in a sealed Go cup, cause I am too cheap to buy a frother, and it just makes more dishes to wash.
Coffee , at least a tablespoon of butter, and at least a tablespoon of Coconut oil.

I often suffer from food "boredom", the fancy meal ideas on diet doctor are more work than it is worth for 1 person.

When we try out fancier recipes or faux recipes (like low carb pizza) it is always on the weekends when we have more time. During the week we tend to default to meat and veggies or meat and salad. I like to make up batches of food we can eat from all week, like a large container of chicken or turkey salad. We also tend to make even larger meals than we need to (and that's saying something here) so we can use leftovers the next day or even a couple days. As soon as I start suffering from food boredom I go on a fast for a day or two or three. Suddenly anything you can eat starts sounding real good.

Sounds weird but im gonna try it!

It is creamy and yummy! Start with one of the ingredients if you are use to drinking coffee black. Add more as you get use to the taste.

Oh and is that for one cup or a whole pot of coffee. Im guessing one cup but i wanted to check first.

Just a little warning about adding fat to a conventional diet, it pretty much turns to fat in your body, unless you are one of those naturally slim people
and the recipe is for one cup. , a large cup

Here is one of my wife's favorite Keto recipes. The whole family loves it but Mom always gets the leftovers.

Chicken, Bacon, Mushroom, Thyme in cream sauce.

[Again, I tend to cook by taste and in bulk because I am feeding like 8 people at each meal. Adjust as desired.]

- Drizzle approx. 4 boneless chicken breasts with garlic infused olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasonings and black pepper.
- Fry the breasts in another tbsp or so of olive oil until just short of 160 degrees (just a touch under cooked).
- In a separate pan (or microwave) cook 8 strips of bacon until crispy. Then chop into larger pieces and set aside.
- Remove chicken breasts from pan and saute large sliced mushrooms with finely chopped onion & garlic.
- Add approx. 3/4 cup unsweetened heavy whipping cream and deglaze the pan.
- Sprinkle with 2 tsps fresh thyme and 1 tsp black pepper. Add salt and more seasoning to taste. I also add chicken base.
- Add the chicken and bacon to the "sauce". Coat the meats with the sauce but stir gently.
- Cook on low or medium low until the chicken is full cooked, cooking too long however will make the bacon rubbery.

We serve this with mashed cauliflower or grilled asparagus.

Here's another recipe that I like to make in the winter when it's just too cold to grill out. Again, adjust as desired.

Plate Whopper

- Combine 2lb ground beef with 1lb ground chuck.
- Mix in 3 tbsp real mayonnaise, 1 egg and black pepper to taste.
- Set in refrigerator for an hour or more (makes it easier to form patties).
- Form into 1/3lb patties and place on non-stick broiler pan.
- Season the tops of the patties with salt.
- Broil for approx. 4 min, flip then broil for 3 min, flip then broil for 2 min (broiling times vary with your oven)
- Remove from oven, cover with foil and rest for approx. 3-4 minutes if you want your patties medium.
- For people who like/want cheese, we put one slice of cheddar or American on each patty before resting them.
- Put a hamburger or cheeseburger patty on a plate.
- Top with 1tbps real mayo, 1 tsp of no sugar added ketchup, 1 slice of tomato, 1 lettuce leaf, 1 thin slice of onion & 3 dill pickle slices.
- Eat with a knife and fork. Better than a BK Whopper with WAY less carbs.

Back