Ketorade, Electrolyte Drink Recipe

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I had recently seen mention of ketorade on YouTube and thought it might be a great summer drink. There are recipes for electrolyte drinks that call for sugar.

https://roadtoketo.com/ketorade-electrolyte-drink-recipe/

Ketorade Electrolyte Drink Recipe, Sodium and Potassium
  • Servings: 3-4
  • Time: 5 mins
  • Difficulty: easy

• Credit: Ken Berry and his Wife Neisha for Original Idea
  • To change the amount of sourness, adjust the amount of apple cider vinegar and lemon to taste.
  • To change the sweetness, adjust the amount of stevia to taste.
Ingredients

Directions
  1. In a 32 Oz / 1 liter container, add apple cider vinegar, potassium powder, pink salt, stevia extract, and ginger.
  2. Squeeze 1/2 lemon into the container
  3. Add 3 cups of water.
  4. Mix ingredients until dissolved.
  5. Drop 1-2 lemon slices into container.
  6. Add ice to brim.
  7. Garnish with Mint Leaves.
It is best to use a stevia extract without any additional sweeteners added. But, if you are looking for a stronger sweetness, many stevias come packaged with erythritol. You can give these a try.

Thanks Weedy.Here in the south we do need a good recipe for electrolyte replacement.

Thanks Weedy.Here in the south we do need a good recipe for electrolyte replacement.
We need it in Colorado and other places as well. If there is heat, you are working and sweating, you need it.

I think this would be a great thing to make up in a 32 ounce water bottle each day. I don't have stevia, but need to get some.

I would use swerve instead of stevia if diabetic.

I use packets of GZero, 20 ounce size, so no recipe, sorry. it comes in orange, blue and grey, they kinda all taste the same.
I am not sure about those. I don't remember trying them. Daughter and I got a pack of powder packets to add to water a while ago. We both got headaches when we used them. I know they have different formulas for them, and I would love to have some that quick and easy, but again, what chemicals are in them?

I am not sure about those. I don't remember trying them. Daughter and I got a pack of powder packets to add to water a while ago. We both got headaches when we used them. I know they have different formulas for them, and I would love to have some that quick and easy, but again, what chemicals are in them?
IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0070.jpeg

I decided to look at the ingredients on Wikipedia. There is one that is known to cause headaches, acesulfame potassium. I am a person who is prone to headaches and have been most of my life. Probably what gives me a headache does not bother others. I will watch for this ingredient in beverages that I consume.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Citric acid exists in a variety of fruits and vegetables, most notably citrus fruits. Lemons and limes have particularly high concentrations of the acid; it can constitute as much as 8% of the dry weight of these fruits (about 47 g/L in the juices[10]).[a] The concentrations of citric acid in citrus fruits range from 0.005 mol/L for oranges and grapefruits to 0.30 mol/L in lemons and limes; these values vary within species depending upon the cultivar and the circumstances in which the fruit was grown.

Citric acid was first isolated in 1784 by the chemist Carl Wilhelm Scheele, who crystallized it from lemon juice.[11][12]

Sodium citrate may refer to any of the sodium salts of citric acid (though most commonly the third):
The three forms of salt are collectively known by the E number E331. Sodium citrates are used as acidity regulators in food and drinks, and also as emulsifiers for oils. They enable cheeses to melt without becoming greasy. It reduces the acidity of food as well.
Sodium citrate is used to prevent donated blood from clotting in storage. It is also used in a laboratory, before an operation, to determine whether a person's blood is too thick and might cause a blood clot, or if the blood is too thin to safely operate.

Monopotassium phosphate is used as an ingredient in sports drinks such as Gatorade and Powerade.

Silicon dioxide (SiO2), also known as silica, is a natural compound made of two of the earth's most abundant materials: silicon (Si) and oxygen (O2). Silicon dioxide is most often recognized in the form of quartz. It's found naturally in water, plants, animals, and the earth. The earth's crust is 59 percent silica.

Acesulfame potassium provides a sweet taste with no caloric value. There is no high-quality evidence that using acesulfame potassium as a sweetener affects body weight or body mass index (BMI).[12][13][14]
One of the major issues surrounding Ace-K is that it contains the carcinogen methylene chloride. According to studies, headaches, depression, nausea, mental confusion, liver effects, kidney effects, visual disturbances, and cancer can all result from long-term exposure to methylene chloride.

The one that gives me killer headaches is Aspartame. As for exposure to Methylene Chloride, that ship sailed decades ago, we used it in huge open vats as a cleaner/degreaser back in the dark ages.

Back