(Khaki) Campbell

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Andi

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Going back into the duck business ... I bought 6 hens (8 weeks old) today. I was thinking about getting day old ducklings from a hatchery but found the ad today and got them.

They produce the most eggs but a smaller egg than Pekins. I think I can work with that.

I hope to add duck eggs for sale at our farmers market ... (along with our beef ~which is going well)

Going back into the duck business ... I bought 6 hens (8 weeks old) today. I was thinking about getting day old ducklings from a hatchery but found the ad today and got them.

They produce the most eggs but a smaller egg than Pekins. I think I can work with that.

I hope to add duck eggs for sale at our farmers market ... (along with our beef ~which is going well)

Outstanding news. Keep us informed as to progress. Looking forward to the posts.

I've been selling chicken, turkey, and duck eggs (khaki Campbell as well). Chicken eggs go first, then duck, then turkey. Don't know why that is. I sell them all the same price. Thought I'd get more for the bigger eggs, but no.
At least at 8 weeks the ducks are waterproof. Raising 16 ducklings from day two was rough and stinky. I have some incubating now, due in another week or so, along with turkey eggs. We'll see.

My daughter and I did a check of all the farmer markets within an hour of our farm... Looking to see what each had to offer. Most had chicken eggs, which were selling well but only 1 had duck eggs and that lady had a line of folks waiting.
I thought she was high but I hadn't sold them in years. Back then I got 5 bucks a dozen... she had a price of $9.00 :eyeballs:

I'll keep up with feed cost and go from there.

I'm looking to get into KC ducks myself but not to sell but for home use.
I have had roosters here before because I fitted them with a anti-crow collar which worked well but I would really rather not have to.
There aren't any council restrictions on drakes.
Have you butchered any of your spare drakes and what was the meat coverage like for a egg duck?
Do they go broody?
Can the females fly?

Thank you.

We're getting ready to take out our spare drakes as soon as I know the are for sure drakes. We also have harlequin and a black/purple type. 16 are too young to lay yet, 1 pair of Khaki's are older and lay almost daily. Boy, I'm lucky to get $3 a dz for duck eggs. The neighbor wants to buy a whole butchered duck when we do take out the spare drakes. Looking at my harlequins, 4 have darker heads, 1 a whiter head. Too bad. That's three more drakes than I need. I can't tell yet with the Campbells. Was waiting for the tail to curl up.

At one time... I had three ladies that bought every duck egg I had for sell (Muscovy). They all made wedding/birthday cakes and they all three said they would never use a chicken egg in their cakes.
To be honest I could not tell the difference, but I'm not much of a cake person myself.

Will duck eggs sell at my market, I'm not sure... but I'm going to try. If not the family and dogs will eat well.

At one time... I had three ladies that bought every duck egg I had for sell (Muscovy). They all made wedding/birthday cakes and they all three said they would never use a chicken egg in their cakes.
To be honest I could not tell the difference, but I'm not much of a cake person myself.

Will duck eggs sell at my market, I'm not sure... but I'm going to try. If not the family and dogs will eat well.

I hard boil my excess and grate them up and mix it in with their grain ration and feed them back to the birds.
I've never had a egg eater in the 20+ years I've been doing it.

Good for you,nice to see another waterfowl raiser around. :ghostly:

I'm not sure how my ducks were raised!!! After a little over a week I walk in their lot and they run to the back of it ...
Strange ... I call ducky, ducky with feed and they run.
I opened their run yesterday but no, they would not go out ... So today I helped them out by herding them. I thought they would start after the grass but no they found a corner and packed in.
True, I have never had campbells before but after a week to settle in, I thought they would start to come around.

Mine were shy, too, and I raised them from babies. I started going into their area every day about the same time with handfuls of greens. Now all I have to do is walk out the back door and they're quacking and waiting for me.

I have been working with them and even tried treats ...Nope, they are not having it... lol
I'm going to keep at it and see how long it takes them to come around. :confused:

Latest posts

Back