KIDNEY STONES

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will always consult my doctor before trying internet remedies. While there may be some good stuff out there, I have seen some things that I know are bogus- some even dangerous. There are a lot of snake oil sales people online.

The stones I have now seem to have moved so they aren't as bad. I think I may have passed one but I can still feel the other one. I hope the lemonade I drank at the funeral reception will help.

LOL! Yeah, I've been saying that a lot about my kidney stones. Left one is still kicking around. I felt it move more to the center but still hasn't made it out. Between the weather and the stones I haven't been remembering to take my meds at a regular time & have missed a day or two in between. I need to set an alarm at a specific time. Been forgetting my vitamins the past week. I can't take them the same time I take my thyroid meds. I'm supposed to take my Metformin with food but when I try to split up the meds in the day I end up forgetting. So I take it without food instead. Took my meds about 20min ago. Still have to wait a bit longer to eat and take vitamins. Doctor recommended multivitamin. I have one with potassium in it-- just a small amount. Also taking magnesium and krill oil. The krill oil helped my mom with her cholesterol so I'm trying it. I may need to try whatever she's taking for joints to see if it helps my shoulder any. It helped her knees quite a bit.

Many years ago, before being married, I was having kidney pains from a stone going through the system, it just wasn't moving like it should so I decided to take a fishing trip up the S. fork of they Platte River, S.W. of Denver, the next day the stone passed. I'm just thankful I no longer get those dang things, I'm pretty sure that I've put dents in the floorboards of the Honda Civic we used to own, on the way to the doctor, thankfully the stone passed at a rest stop and I didn't have to go to a doctor.

I have not tried this, but am posting it for anyone who would like to try it.

I was about 24 years old when I first utilized Cream of Tartar outside the realm of baking. I had been battling with a kidney stone, developed a kidney infection, then when I was recovered from that, a urinary tract infection manifested. I was talking with a dear friend about it, and she told me that her grandmother recommended Cream of Tartar for that ailment. The recipe, stated in grandmotherly fashion was simple: a knife tip of Cream of Tartar in a big glass of water! I was at the peak of my catering career, and had lots of cream of tartar, since one of my most-requested recipes was mini-Pavlovas - those delicious meringue disks topped with home-made vanilla bean whipping cream, topped with fresh strawberries, blueberries and kiwis! MmmMmmmm, heaven on a plate! That’s another post for another time!

After the phone call with my friend ended, I quickly prepared the Cream of Tartar solution and drank it all at once. If you have ever had a UTI, you understand the discomfort and the distraction that it creates. Fast forward 20 minutes, and all that pain had disappeared! I had been trying lots of things prior to this, including cranberry juice, apple cider vinegar, lemon water, etc, but nothing had alleviated the misery until this magical potion! I was amazed by the results, and it has become a staple in my traveling bag for a quick urinary system reset after a long day on the road!

Over the years, I’ve shared this simple trick with my daughters and also clients, and they have been equally amazed at the results. Because Cream of Tartar is acidic, it can help change your pH levels. Increasing acidity while reducing alkalinity kills off bad bacteria, which is why this tried and true home remedy has the potential to be your newest go-to when it comes to UTIs. Just mix 1 ½ teaspoons of Cream of Tartar with 1 cup warm water. You can add some freshly squeezed lemon juice if you’d like to, then drink the mixture all at once. Do this a few times a day to keep those nasty infections away. So simple, 100% toxin-free, and readily available!! I love using God’s foods for healing!

http://livingwellspinecenter.com/bl...-magical-things-to-know-about-cream-of-tartar

Increasing acidity while reducing alkalinity kills off bad bacteria, which is why this tried and true home remedy has the potential to be your newest go-to when it comes to UTIs.

That's interesting. Kinda makes me question the whole thing of alkaline water being such a healthy thing. (I never got on that bandwagon, by the way, but have heard some people rave about it.)

Had one kidney stone a couple of years ago. Uncomfortable, but it passed in a couple of days. Never had one since. Wasn't as bad as what many people talk about but still wouldn't wish it on anyone. The worst of it was actually the nausea and dry heaving that it started out with. I basically did the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice thing while it worked its way through. Will remember the cream of tartar thing, though. Never know when that might come in handy. Thanks!

two guys over the years who both had severe kidney stone attacks. What they had in common was they were both addicted to diet Pepsi

Yeah... I'm not so sure people should be drinkin' that stuff. Never really got into the habit, myself. I might have one on occasion but definitely not a regular thing.

My go-to is actually water with lemon. It's just what I normally have with meals or whenever. I cut up a few lemons in a half gallon glass jug and keep filling with water. I change out the lemons every few days. I don't really like plain water all that much but just that little bit of lemon in there satisfies me. Might be something in there (natural lemon oils?) that could actually be good for me, too. ;)

Plain water is just fine, up to the first gallon, then it boring. If I had to drink plain water all the time I would, but I do not.
Sugar & salt are to be used in small amounts, so the wife started me on lemon water, sometimes it is bottled juice, sometimes it is lime juice. Many times it is real lemons which last longer than juice. For a treat I get decaffeinate sweet ice tea with half & half, half cane sugar & half splenda. We are not going out as much as we did thirty months ago, a lot less tea & caffeine at home.

Last edited:
I'm happy to report (and I'm probably jinxing myself) that I don't seem to feel any kidney stones this week. I don't drink caffeine and I don't drink sodas. I cut way back on tea. Don't drink coffee. I mostly drink water and a little milk. I used to drink a lot more milk and never had stones. I also didn't have my teeth falling apart like they are now. So, maybe I might drink more milk and some cranberry juice. I wonder how the two would taste mixed... Mom used to have to put liquid cough syrup in chocolate milk to get me to drink it without spewing.

I don't seem to feel any kidney stones this week.

And a week with no kidney stones is a better week than one with. :)

Congrats on a lesser pain week. Well... the teeth might hurt... (it's always somethin'...) It's odd how some people can hang on to their teeth a lot longer than others. At his death at age 95, my dad had a full set of his own teeth. Mom lost most of hers in her 30's despite being at the dentist more than most people of the time. I suspect that there is something dietary that plays a part that I haven't figured out. I'm not sure it's as simple as "just drinking your milk" though there might be something in milk that matters. (?)

Thanks. Gums are slightly sore but no big deal. The dentist was worried I'd be in serious pain afterward. I wasn't even in serious pain after having a tooth pulled. I didn't need any painkillers. I think possibly because I used to get migraines and I've had chronic pain most of my life I'm pretty much used to stuff so it doesn't bother me. The good thing about mouth sores is they tend to heal fairly quickly. I was able to eat and chew just fine. I remember back when I used to get my braces tightened. My mouth would be too sore to chew for days.

I know milk has the fat and sugars but it also has the vitamin D added. I used to drink a ton of milk and never had problems with my teeth. But, my overall diet has changed, lifestyle has changed, metabolism has changed, etc. Could also be part of why I get kidney stones.

Back