kids born with parrot mouth

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judy mayes

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I had a doe give birth this morning to two boys both parrot and one looks open between in the pallet he passed away the other one is stronger and has a pallet but parrot mouth also and weak hind legs in the hocks and isnt wanting to nurse until today. he wants to nurse my finger not the nipple .i gave bo se ,bar guard 99 and b complex injs daily .any advice is appreciated and he wiill not be used as a sire ,will be a wether.
judy mayes

I haven't had to deal with parrot mouth as of yet. . . I wish you luck with your little one. If it was me, I'd first try and help him nurse the teet. If complete refusal, I'd try milking mom and bottle feed. If that was a failure dipping a cloth in mothers milk and let him suck. How is the selenium there, is their a deficiency ?

The weak hind legs sounds like a selineum issue. I've only seen one parrot mouth but it wasn't bad enough to interfere with nursing.

You said you gave BoSe. How much and when? I've had some that needed more than one dose.

I haven't had to deal with parrot mouth as of yet. . . I wish you luck with your little one. If it was me, I'd first try and help him nurse the teet. If complete refusal, I'd try milking mom and bottle feed. If that was a failure dipping a cloth in mothers milk and let him suck. How is the selenium there, is their a deficiency ?
It's her first babies she isn't interested in him we are milking her and feeding him with tube feeder hoping he gets the strong desire to nurse ,with his mouth like it is he has to learn to nurse and figure it out it's a challenge for him everything will be I hope he can learn .I will take him to Mom again but he can't stand on his own yet and she is not tame making it even harder ...I have another ok goat I may try him on her but she has two nursing now.

Have someone help you. Hold mom tightly against a wall or fence and have someone hold him up to her teat. First time mothers don't know what's going on and some will reject the kid until they figure it out. Moms teat is what his instincts tell him to look for and she produces a pheromone that calms her kids when excited. I would try to get him on her before every feeding.

I don't let my does refuse to feed their kids, even if it means I have to hold them 5 times a day so the kids can nurse. I've only had one not take to her kids after a week or so and she didn't stay with us after the second year.

How do folks feel about splinting for a couple days on checking and and watching closely but that's what I did on two weak front legs
Judy

Wrapping is fine and will help. Be careful not to wrap to tight and watch to make sure the others aren't trying to eat it.

I did the splint thing and also hung one that had weak legs in the back. Made a sling thing and hung it on top of a play pen with wooden sticks. He was born with crooked hips too. It didn't "cure" him but it sure did help with the straightening some and he was able to get around a little easier.

Latest posts

Back