Killing ants

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do whatever it takes to keep those wood eating ants away from my stuff! Terro is a big go to!

I might try what I learned in the video.

... I have also heard boric acid for the larger pests with exoskeletons, just the powder pooffed into their spaces.

Yep, indeed it is 'majik' in the war against Cockroaches as well.. Fun to watch them walk thru it / then - try - and clean it off their legs, etc.. Knowing that in short-order, it will, without fail, turn them into little 'concrete Medusas'.. 😈

'Fact, we make 'em little 'cookies' - Boric Acid / Crisco / Sugar, mix till 'doughy', flatten into a 'cookie', and set 'em where ya observe them 'coming in/out' / walking, etc..

..I mean, it's only Fair to grant the condemned a 'last meal', right? 😁

jd

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-kill-ants20 natural ways to eliminate ants

1. Diatomaceous earth (silicon dioxide)
Diatomaceous earth is a type of silica. It comprises fossilized remains of aquatic organisms called diatoms.
Diatomaceous earth isn’t a poison. It kills ants and other bugs by absorbing the oils in their skeletons, which dries them out. Since it’s an irritant, avoid breathing in diatomaceous earth or getting it on your skin.
You can purchase food-grade diatomaceous earth online. To use it as an ant killer, follow package directions, or sprinkle the powder anywhere you see ants.
2. Glass cleaner and liquid detergent
Combining spray-on glass cleaner with liquid detergent or dish soap can help deter ants from entering your home. It does this by removing the scented pheromone trail they leave behind when they walk.
Mix together and spray on areas where ants seem to congregate or originate from. Wipe down the area after spraying, leaving a light residue.
While there are no studies to support this remedy, anecdotal evidence suggests it’s enough to keep ants away.
3. Hand soap
If the scent of glass cleaner bothers you, using hand soap may be enough to remove ants. Soapy water of any kind removes the scent of ant pheromones. Use it on ant trails and points of entry in your home.
Without pheromone trails to follow, ants are unable to communicate with each other.
4. Pepper
Since ants seem to find the smell of pepper irritating, you can try black or red (cayenne) pepper as an ant deterrent.
This remedy to ant infestation is completely natural and safe. Anecdotal evidence suggests that sprinkling pepper around baseboards and behind appliances may help keep ants at bay.
5. Peppermint
Peppermint is a natural insect repellent that may be very effective at repelling ants and other bugs, such as mosquitoes.
Mix 10 to 20 drops of peppermint essential oil with 2 cups of water. Spray the mixture around the baseboards and windows of your home. Let dry.
Like most essential oils, keep peppermint oil out of reach of pets, especially cats, who can become very ill if exposed.
You can likely find peppermint essential oil at your local grocery store. It’s also available online.
6. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil repels and kills ants. Mix 5 to 10 drops of tea tree oil with 2 cups of water and use as a spray. You can also saturate cotton balls and place them around your home where you’ve seen ants.
If the scent is too strong, try making a mixture that combines tea tree oil with peppermint oil and water
7. Lemon eucalyptus oil
Oil extracted from the lemon eucalyptus tree is another natural bug repellent. It contains citronella, which is used in candles to repel flying bugs, such as mosquitoes. Anecdotal evidence indicates it’s also effective at repelling ants.
Don’t ingest lemon eucalyptus oil. Keep it out of reach of children and pets.
8. Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE)
OLE isn’t the same substance as lemon eucalyptus oil. OLE comes from the gum eucalyptus tree, which is native to Australia. It contains a chemical called PMD, which has been found to be an effective insect repellent.
PMD is classified as a bio-pesticide by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and is considered safe to use. Some people report OLE is able to kill and repel ants. People also use it to repel mosquitoes.
9. White vinegar
If you see ants, wipe them up with a solution of 50-50 vinegar and water, or straight vinegar.
White vinegar kills ants and also repels them. If you have an ant problem, try using diluted vinegar to clean hard surfaces, including floors and countertops, throughout your home.
10. Boiling water
If you notice ant holes near your home, pour boiling water into them. This will effectively and immediately kill many of the ants inside.
11. Cornstarch
If you happen upon a large number of ants, you can use cornstarch to smother them.
Liberally pour cornstarch over the entire group of ants, and add water on top. This will be messy, but the result will be lots of dead ants encased in cornstarch.
12. Cinnamon leaf essential oil
Compounds in cinnamon leaf essential oil, including trans-cinnamaldehyde, have been found effective Trusted Source at killing and repelling ants, including biting red ants.
Anecdotal evidence indicates powdered cinnamon is also effective at repelling ants.
13. Neem oil
Neem oil is extracted from the neem tree, which is native to India. When used at full strength, some people find neem oil repels ants from entering a home.
14. Coffee grounds
This anecdotal ant repellant requires you to brew the coffee first. Brewed coffee grounds have been found to keep ants away.
15. Boric acid
Boric acid is a type of poison, which has been provenTrusted Source to kill worker ants and their queen within 3 weeks of exposure. It does this by eroding their outer shells and stomachs.
It’s very important to keep boric acid away from pets and children and to wear gloves while you’re working with it. Most basic boric acid recipes to treat ants include the following directions:
  1. Make a solution of 1/2 teaspoon boric acid, 8 teaspoons sugar, and 1 cup of warm water.
  2. Stir until the sugar and boric acid are completely dissolved. Saturate cotton balls and place around your home in areas where you’ve seen ants.
  3. You can also leave the mixture out in containers. After use, wash containers thoroughly or discard.
16. Borax (sodium tetraborate)
Contrary to common belief, borax and boric acid aren’t the same chemical compound. Anecdotally, both may be equally as effective at killing ants in the home.
Like boric acid, don’t use baits prepared with borax where children or pets can reach them.
Make a solution of borax, sugar, and warm water, using the same procedure as you would with boric acid.
17. Give your houseplants an anti-ant advantage
Check your houseplants for swarms of ants, which might indicate nests under the soil. Discard any plants that appear to be infested.
Stop ants from making homes in your plants by surrounding them with citrus rinds from either lemons or oranges.
18. Keep the outdoors out
Keep your yard clean of debris. Cut off any vines or vegetation that touches or leans onto the exterior walls of your house and windows. These can make it easier for ants to enter your home.
19. Cut off their food source
Eliminating the problem before it starts is the best way to get rid of ants. You can do this by making sure you have no food sources readily available for them.
20. Determine how they’re getting inIt can be next to impossible to seal every nook and cranny, but check your home for cracks in the walls and holes near floorboards and in radiators. You can fill these up or treat with repellent. Also check for rips in window screens, which you can mend.

DW use Diatomaceous earth to stop ants.

The battle against ants is a matter of perspective... Welcome to the world of Fire Ants. Once they killed a litter of my rabbits... and will kill chickens when they get sick and can't fend them off. Each of the dark or reddish spots in my pastures are a fire ant nest. The literature says there are about 7 million ants per acre.

I need tons of what ever will work. Even then the battle never ends, they'll be back in a couple of years.

Ants a  (2).jpg
Ants a  (4).jpg
Ants a  (6)a.JPG

I took a class on ornamental Garden Pest class a few years ago, the text stated there are 4 different fire ants.
1) red from Central America, 2) a Black from Central America
3) a red from Africa, 4) a black from Africa
Most of what I deal with are Red & I do not know where their father came from.

I took a class on ornamental Garden Pest class a few years ago, the text stated there are 4 different fire ants.
1) red from Central America, 2) a Black from Central America
3) a red from Africa, 4) a black from Africa
Most of what I deal with are Red & I do not know where their father came from.
Ours are Black.

Yep, indeed it is 'majik' in the war against Cockroaches as well.. Fun to watch them walk thru it / then - try - and clean it off their legs, etc.. Knowing that in short-order, it will, without fail, turn them into little 'concrete Medusas'.. 😈

'Fact, we make 'em little 'cookies' - Boric Acid / Crisco / Sugar, mix till 'doughy', flatten into a 'cookie', and set 'em where ya observe them 'coming in/out' / walking, etc..

..I mean, it's only Fair to grant the condemned a 'last meal', right? 😁

jd
You're "all pump", SoJer!

. Each of the dark or reddish spots in my pastures are a fire ant nest. The literature says there are about 7 million ants per acre.

I need tons of what ever will work. Even then the battle never ends, they'll be back in a couple of years.
I fought them every year we lived in Bama. Spectracide works 100% and is cheap.
I don't miss them not being everywhere down here.
We drown them every year. They don't last long :oops:.
6" of rain in 3 hours can do magic.
The next thing they see is, a sign that says: "Welcome to Jamaica, Mon!"

We've only found one way to kill every fire ant in a field. It only works when there are very specific weather conditions that don't happen every year.

!. Raining and sleeting at the same time in late afternoon.
2. Temps are going to drop below freezing after dark.

Then take shovels, stab down through the center of the nest, pry it open with the shovel. Then move on to the next nest. 3 people can do a 10 or 12 acre field in about 2 hours.

It's near freezing anyway, the ants move very slowly. They can't repair the nest and protect the queen as freezing rain fills the nest. Hopefully the temp drops to around 25 after dark, so much the better.This effectively kills the nest and everything in it, eggs, larva and most especially the queen.

I've done this many times through the years but the conditions aren't right every year. If I clear a field of ants in about 3 years it will look the same as before.

Fire ants are from the tropics, do fairly well in the sub-tropics. They don't survive hard freezes. Check the hard freeze line on a weather map... that's their boundry.

Last edited:
https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-kill-ants20 natural ways to eliminate ants

1. Diatomaceous earth (silicon dioxide)
Diatomaceous earth is a type of silica. It comprises fossilized remains of aquatic organisms called diatoms.
Diatomaceous earth isn’t a poison. It kills ants and other bugs by absorbing the oils in their skeletons, which dries them out. Since it’s an irritant, avoid breathing in diatomaceous earth or getting it on your skin.
You can purchase food-grade diatomaceous earth online. To use it as an ant killer, follow package directions, or sprinkle the powder anywhere you see ants.
2. Glass cleaner and liquid detergent
Combining spray-on glass cleaner with liquid detergent or dish soap can help deter ants from entering your home. It does this by removing the scented pheromone trail they leave behind when they walk.
Mix together and spray on areas where ants seem to congregate or originate from. Wipe down the area after spraying, leaving a light residue.
While there are no studies to support this remedy, anecdotal evidence suggests it’s enough to keep ants away.
3. Hand soap
If the scent of glass cleaner bothers you, using hand soap may be enough to remove ants. Soapy water of any kind removes the scent of ant pheromones. Use it on ant trails and points of entry in your home.
Without pheromone trails to follow, ants are unable to communicate with each other.
4. Pepper
Since ants seem to find the smell of pepper irritating, you can try black or red (cayenne) pepper as an ant deterrent.
This remedy to ant infestation is completely natural and safe. Anecdotal evidence suggests that sprinkling pepper around baseboards and behind appliances may help keep ants at bay.
5. Peppermint
Peppermint is a natural insect repellent that may be very effective at repelling ants and other bugs, such as mosquitoes.
Mix 10 to 20 drops of peppermint essential oil with 2 cups of water. Spray the mixture around the baseboards and windows of your home. Let dry.
Like most essential oils, keep peppermint oil out of reach of pets, especially cats, who can become very ill if exposed.
You can likely find peppermint essential oil at your local grocery store. It’s also available online.
6. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil repels and kills ants. Mix 5 to 10 drops of tea tree oil with 2 cups of water and use as a spray. You can also saturate cotton balls and place them around your home where you’ve seen ants.
If the scent is too strong, try making a mixture that combines tea tree oil with peppermint oil and water
7. Lemon eucalyptus oil
Oil extracted from the lemon eucalyptus tree is another natural bug repellent. It contains citronella, which is used in candles to repel flying bugs, such as mosquitoes. Anecdotal evidence indicates it’s also effective at repelling ants.
Don’t ingest lemon eucalyptus oil. Keep it out of reach of children and pets.
8. Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE)
OLE isn’t the same substance as lemon eucalyptus oil. OLE comes from the gum eucalyptus tree, which is native to Australia. It contains a chemical called PMD, which has been found to be an effective insect repellent.
PMD is classified as a bio-pesticide by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and is considered safe to use. Some people report OLE is able to kill and repel ants. People also use it to repel mosquitoes.
9. White vinegar
If you see ants, wipe them up with a solution of 50-50 vinegar and water, or straight vinegar.
White vinegar kills ants and also repels them. If you have an ant problem, try using diluted vinegar to clean hard surfaces, including floors and countertops, throughout your home.
10. Boiling water
If you notice ant holes near your home, pour boiling water into them. This will effectively and immediately kill many of the ants inside.
11. Cornstarch
If you happen upon a large number of ants, you can use cornstarch to smother them.
Liberally pour cornstarch over the entire group of ants, and add water on top. This will be messy, but the result will be lots of dead ants encased in cornstarch.
12. Cinnamon leaf essential oil
Compounds in cinnamon leaf essential oil, including trans-cinnamaldehyde, have been found effective Trusted Source at killing and repelling ants, including biting red ants.
Anecdotal evidence indicates powdered cinnamon is also effective at repelling ants.
13. Neem oil
Neem oil is extracted from the neem tree, which is native to India. When used at full strength, some people find neem oil repels ants from entering a home.
14. Coffee grounds
This anecdotal ant repellant requires you to brew the coffee first. Brewed coffee grounds have been found to keep ants away.
15. Boric acid
Boric acid is a type of poison, which has been provenTrusted Source to kill worker ants and their queen within 3 weeks of exposure. It does this by eroding their outer shells and stomachs.
It’s very important to keep boric acid away from pets and children and to wear gloves while you’re working with it. Most basic boric acid recipes to treat ants include the following directions:
  1. Make a solution of 1/2 teaspoon boric acid, 8 teaspoons sugar, and 1 cup of warm water.
  2. Stir until the sugar and boric acid are completely dissolved. Saturate cotton balls and place around your home in areas where you’ve seen ants.
  3. You can also leave the mixture out in containers. After use, wash containers thoroughly or discard.
16. Borax (sodium tetraborate)
Contrary to common belief, borax and boric acid aren’t the same chemical compound. Anecdotally, both may be equally as effective at killing ants in the home.
Like boric acid, don’t use baits prepared with borax where children or pets can reach them.
Make a solution of borax, sugar, and warm water, using the same procedure as you would with boric acid.
17. Give your houseplants an anti-ant advantage
Check your houseplants for swarms of ants, which might indicate nests under the soil. Discard any plants that appear to be infested.
Stop ants from making homes in your plants by surrounding them with citrus rinds from either lemons or oranges.
18. Keep the outdoors out
Keep your yard clean of debris. Cut off any vines or vegetation that touches or leans onto the exterior walls of your house and windows. These can make it easier for ants to enter your home.
19. Cut off their food source
Eliminating the problem before it starts is the best way to get rid of ants. You can do this by making sure you have no food sources readily available for them.
20. Determine how they’re getting inIt can be next to impossible to seal every nook and cranny, but check your home for cracks in the walls and holes near floorboards and in radiators. You can fill these up or treat with repellent. Also check for rips in window screens, which you can mend.

DW use Diatomaceous earth to stop ants.

This is a great list, thank you!
We've had a small infestation at work and nothing seems to work. I do have tea tree oil at home, I can try that spray and a bunch of other recipes listed here.

Hope it works. They get into the sugar.. it's annoying.

I fought them every year we lived in Bama. Spectracide works 100% and is cheap.
I don't miss them not being everywhere down here.
We drown them every year. They don't last long :oops:.
6" of rain in 3 hours can do magic.
The next thing they see is, a sign that says: "Welcome to Jamaica, Mon!"

Fire ants form a mound that floats. If you are in flood waters and see an odd looking reddish blob on the water DON'T TOUCH IT!!

https://citybugs.tamu.edu/2017/08/29/fire-ants-make-water-rescue-interesting/
1625080856349.png

Spray the mound with lighter fluid and touch it off with a match.
I suppose you could just dust it with liquid soap, Boric acid and DE.

Spray the mound with lighter fluid and touch it off with a match.
I suppose you could just dust it with liquid soap, Boric acid and DE.
We would spray them with dish soap. It breaks the water tension and does something to the coating on the ants and they sink.

I've tried using peppermint oil and tea tree oil for ants but it seems like as soon as it dries they are right back over the path, or through the hole in the wall, etc.
I will be trying out these other ideas. Using poisons is not good for other critters, like the toads, frogs, and geckos, bees, etc.

Latest posts

Back