Kitchen Island Issue

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have a small movable island. I do all my prep work on it (no counter space). It takes a lot of abuse but still looks decent when cleaned and oiled. It got cleaned then oiled twice today. Otherwise it’s lighter in color and dark stains stand out. It has a few marks I’d like to remove. In one spot something red stained it. I tried several methods but cleaning didn’t work.

Suggestions?

Also, how are butcher block tops maintained? I have no idea. It gets wiped down often, several times a day. Sometimes with a wet cloth or sponge. It gets regular kitchen cleaner when needed. About once a month it gets lemon oil. Would a different oil be better? or cleaner?

00Island a  (4).JPG
20230818_island20.jpg
20230818_island40.jpg
20230818_island58.jpg

I like Murphy's Oil Soap for everyday cleaning.

That is banned in my house, I can't stand the smell of of it, lol.

Suggestions?

Also, how are butcher block tops maintained? I have no idea. It gets wiped down often, several times a day. Sometimes with a wet cloth or sponge. It gets regular kitchen cleaner when needed. About once a month it gets lemon oil. Would a different oil be better? or cleaner?

firstly, sponges shouldn't be used in food areas because they can harbor bacteria (my personal opinion).

I would scrape the surface with a metal spatula or a wide putty knife using moderate pressure, clean it again, then seal it with a food grade sealer. (Waterlox® for Countertops - Waterlox)

If it was a floor, I'd say mayonnaise would restore a lot of the color, but since salmonella is an issue, do you have any linseed or tung oil? I learned this trick about Minwax lemon oil floor polish, light a tin on fire until it spreads over the whole surface and snuff it out with a pot lid, then while it's still hot and liquid, buff it into the wood, let dry, and buff again!

If it was a floor, I'd say mayonnaise would restore a lot of the color, but since salmonella is an issue, do you have any linseed or tung oil? I learned this trick about Minwax lemon oil floor polish, light a tin on fire until it spreads over the whole surface and snuff it out with a pot lid, then while it's still hot and liquid, buff it into the wood, let dry, and buff again!
Just be forewarned, most linseed and tung oil sold in stores today is a mixture of the oils with petroleum solvents and they are not food safe. Mineral oil is about the only food safe oil that doesn't go rancid. Even the commercially sold butcher block oil and conditioners are little more than mineral oil and beeswax.

I have a small movable island. I do all my prep work on it (no counter space). It takes a lot of abuse but still looks decent when cleaned and oiled. It got cleaned then oiled twice today. Otherwise it’s lighter in color and dark stains stand out. It has a few marks I’d like to remove. In one spot something red stained it. I tried several methods but cleaning didn’t work.

Suggestions?

View attachment 114406View attachment 114407View attachment 114408View attachment 114409
Not sure, I would sand 150 grit, then 200 grit then stain, sand lightly by hand with 250 grit & finish.

Not sure, I would sand 150 grit, then 200 grit then stain, sand lightly by hand with 250 grit & finish.
Yes maybe.

Try 250 on the bad spots to see if that works. If the stain in too deep 250 may not work.

Clorox can be used with some stains.

Metal based stains like rust can be addressed with vingar.

Ben

Thanks everyone, it needs some tlc. I got it used 25yrs ago, had a shelf at the bottom. It does have character. i added a middle shelf for space and closed in the sides to keep dust off my cast iron, i didn't match the stain very well, paint, stain aren't my cup of tea. In fact i'm exceptionally bad at it!!! 🤣

I still have some cleaning to do on it, gonna put in new shelf liner. I don't mind the black round stain so much, but the others? It's sturdy, will outlast me. A few yrs ago i got new soft casters for it, (plank floor). I might as well keep the top looking decent too. Not sure I want to refinish it. If i can get it looking good without that?

(on almost every job i've ever had i've been asked to paint something... once. 😜 )

Last edited:
Daily cleaning of a butcher block is done with a block scraper. This gets rid of a layer of fat, blood, and fine meat, etc. Soap and water can be used to finish it off.
https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russe...&sprefix=butcher+block+scraper,aps,347&sr=8-4
A scratch brush is used to do a deep cleaning. This removes a layer of dirty wood leaving fresh wood. Wood is an antibacterial so fresh wood is the cleanest surface. After the scratch brush use the scraper, soap and water to remove the sawdust.
https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-406...&sprefix=butcher+block+scraper,aps,347&sr=8-5
I grew up in a meat market. We never used mineral oil because the constant use of the blocks made it rather ridiculous, you could if you wanted a shiny surface. The residential meat block doesn't get use.

Last edited:
I don't use this one for cutting, have regular cutting bds for that. I use it more as a table for food prep. At knee height is cast iron, skillets, a wok, pans i use all the time. directly behind me is the stove. I prep everything on it, gets spills, veggie bits. If i'm frying corn meal/flour gets everywhere!

i try to keep it clean, gets wiped several times a day... but cfs gets to me some days. If i have a bad week... only simple food if at all. But it still gets dirty, might get a little slow in cleaning, hence the stains.

I've heard something about using a damp cloth and an iron or something with water and heat to remove water rings but I've never tried it. Hope you can get the stain off.

My elderly friend always used mineral oil on any cutting block/ butcher block stuff he made. It looks nice even with the stains. Very pretty wood color.

For those that are opposed to a sponge
Keep a container beside the sink with a mixture of water and bleach in it
1 qt water/ 1/4 teaspoon bleech
Store the sponge in the container
Also wash your sponge in the dishwasher

Also make you a mixture to put into a spray bottle. To sanitize kitchen surfaces

I'll be the contrarian. I say, make lots more marks and stains! It gives it character!

My mom and dad had an old kitchen table that ended up in the basement. They used it when they were canning since they had a kitchen stove down there and it didn't make the living area of the house so hot. They would put newspapers on the top of it, I'm not sure why exactly, but it would get hot canning jars placed right on top of those newspapers time and time again. A few years ago, when we were cleaning out that house... both mom and dad are gone now... there was that table. It had a very unique appearance with all of that old newspaper and the things that moisture and many years of time had done. It's quite unique. I still have the table but someone tried to "clean it off" and ruined some of the uniqueness and antiqueish charm of it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but... just takin' a side trip down memory lane.

Good luck with your project!

Latest posts

Back