Knife Making

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CluelessKai

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
My new chopping knife that my son made.
IMG_20180201_152830175.jpg

I have a friend who made stock removal knives, not forged.
So the shape, profile & edge, as well as the type of steel are step one.
Heat treat, drawing & cleaning are step 2
Then handle & finishing is 3.
He care nothing about forged metal.
I have a few of his knives.

Hubby made a pocket knife and a large machetee out of automobile'truck' leaf spring 24 years ago .
Cut it out, lots of grinding, soaked it in oil for 180 degrees overnight and polish. Both are still like new and we used that machetee on small trees and vines here for years clearing trails and and saving vine covered trees in this sub tropical jungle we moved onto that had'nt been lived n since 1957 .

At yard sales I buy heavy kitchen knives if they are cheap. I remove the handles and totally reshape the blades then make new handles for them changing them into hunting knives. I also then make leather sheaths for them. I have a stockpile of them and will use them for barter if things ever "go bad". For now this just gives me something to do to pass the time. The leather I get from yard sales also, usually from well made leather purses that I dis-assemble. I never pay more than a dollar for either a purse or heavy kitchen knife.

@hiwall we need to see photos of your leather sheaths and knives you've remodeled and the blades. What is your favorite wood for the handles?
These are far from being works-of-art but they are functional. I check the steel before I do any work on them and if they are soft I just toss them. Here are some I have done.
9-11- 001.JPG
9-11- 002.JPG

Latest posts

Back