Knife sheaths

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
005.JPG
007.JPG
010.JPG
001.JPG

I generally don't go too fancy. But for my friend's Bowie I felt an obligation to do it up right. Leather stitching is for show. The real stitching is Kevlar. I used the thickest cowhide I could find on the web. Besides the tie down strap, I later added a gunslinger style leather thong that loops over the small end of the coffin handle.
3aGJy33.jpg

Here is the story behind the Bowie:
Back in the 1970's I was making knives. When Browning quit making the Sweet Sixteen, I immediately ran to the gunshop and put one on layaway because I didn't have enough cash to pay in full for it. I was slowly paying it off, but my friend said he would pay it off for me if I made him a Bowie.
He wanted a REAL Bowie, 18" long with brass backstrap on the blade and shaving sharp false edge.
Not long after that my knife making equipment was stolen. And I had a change in employment which kept me too busy to start over again with the knife making (which is VERY time consuming)
So the Bowie never got made...until...
After I retired, I decided to take up knifemaking again. And of course that obligation for my friend's Bowie weighed heavily on my mind, so that was my first knife.
By then he was living in Oklahoma and I was living in Georgia. One day out of the blue he got an email with this picture:

dZBWYCy.jpg

He knew what it meant!

That knife took me FOREVER to make. D2 is notoriously difficult to work with on large blades. I don't know how many sanding belts I went through. I had to keep ordering premium belts online because the ones I could buy locally didn't last any time. So I can confidently say I AIN'T DOIN' THAT AGAIN!

I used up the rest of that bar of D2 and have been using easier steels to work with. And smaller knives.

Last edited:
This past weekend I had a gentleman approach me at our booth at the craft fair and wishes to for me collaborate with him in his knife making venture.
He showed me some pictures of is hand made knives, with only a shot of them on a phone they looked very well made, then he said here is my problem I have tried to make a high quality sheath to go with each knife.... After seeing a pic of his sheath I had to agree with him that his talents laid in the bladesmithing arena.
I told him that I did not run a production leather working outfit and a sheath would have to be custom fit and not cheap. He said he will give me a call to discuss details and he did not seem discouraged.
Just ask Frodo there is a lot of work when you use 10 and 12 oz leather! That stuff is stubborn.
I wish sometimes that the internet service here would allow me to post pictures ,but alas, y'all are spared, thank God for small mercies.

This past weekend I had a gentleman approach me at our booth at the craft fair and wishes to for me collaborate with him in his knife making venture.
He showed me some pictures of is hand made knives, with only a shot of them on a phone they looked very well made, then he said here is my problem I have tried to make a high quality sheath to go with each knife.... After seeing a pic of his sheath I had to agree with him that his talents laid in the bladesmithing arena.
I told him that I did not run a production leather working outfit and a sheath would have to be custom fit and not cheap. He said he will give me a call to discuss details and he did not seem discouraged.
Just ask Frodo there is a lot of work when you use 10 and 12 oz leather! That stuff is stubborn.
I wish sometimes that the internet service here would allow me to post pictures ,but alas, y'all are spared, thank God for small mercies.
I do not get along with my knife makers .
They want a custom sheth but don't want to pay the $50 they want to give you 20 .that covers material I'm not doing this **** for free

I do not get along with my knife makers .
They want a custom sheth but don't want to pay the $50 they want to give you 20 .that covers material I'm not doing this **** for free
Wow! That’s nuts. Especially if there is any sort of tooling involved. What is minimum wage there. It’s so annoying, but pointing out that that would just cover the cost of the materials and it takes about however long to make it, even at minimum wage which is what the kid pushing the broom at McDs makes, it would be $X amount.

I agree totally frodo....I told him we would talk but I have seen leather knife sheath's that were made supposedly custom for a blade maker.
They were askin between $250 to $350 per unit, I found a blade I liked but the holder was OK so I ask what was the blade price sans sheath \ -$20!
So yep ,I suspect where this is going, just like you said.

I agree totally frodo....I told him we would talk but I have seen leather knife sheath's that were made supposedly custom for a blade maker.
They were askin between $250 to $350 per unit, I found a blade I liked but the holder was OK so I ask what was the blade price sans sheath \ -$20!
So yep ,I suspect where this is going, just like you said.
I had a knife maker actually get mad
He wanted 5 sheaths usually they would be $50 each.because he wanted 5. I cut him a break at $40 each
He got huffy and wanted to pay $20 each
I told him to go to Temu they got fake stuff for $2.00

Latest posts

Back