Knitting and Crocheting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just searched for knitting sock machine on Amazon! Had no idea this was out there. Knitting has been on my learn to do list for awhile. Very cool stuff.
Hey DrJenner,
I know exactly 2 stitches when knitting.
I can cast on 2 stitches , increase, decrease until I can make a blanket, wash cloths, kitchen towels. etc.
I can knit with circle needles to make hats, gloves.
I have those circular looms things that I was gifted several years agoi.
They say you can make socks with them...
Maybe someone else can, but not me as of yet.
On my bucket list of practical skills to learn is something called silk ribbon quill on nightgowns as decorations.
But otherwise I crochet, sew, quilt, attempt to knit with knitting flatbed machine Brother KH 230.
And get better at candle making and trying soap making.
So there is always hope.

I like the crocheted rugs. If you make braided rugs, you make one long braid then have to sew it into the rug shape. Too tedious for me but might be a perfect hobby/craft for someone else.
My grandmother back in the day of only 3 TV stations kept herself busy crocheting blankets that I still use and doilies. It is probably her genes that make me anal retentive. ;)

Ben

No, there are really only two stitches in knitting. The knit and the purl stitch. Everything else is just putting those stitches together in different ways.
I knit and crochet and I prefer knitting. I just like the way the stitches look though im
More skilled in crochet.
But I don't know the difference between the two stitches.

I like the crocheted rugs. If you make braided rugs, you make one long braid then have to sew it into the rug shape. Too tedious for me but might be a perfect hobby/craft for someone else.
Strawberry's blankets are made with long braided crotchet together.
I might make the long braid but I'm not sewing it together.
Would rather crochet it together.

Still working on Tunisan Entracloc simple stitch corner to corner Veterans blankets.
At least these blocks aren't wonky jaw.
They are 12 inches square.
Estelle is helping Granny by picking out the colors for the blocks.
Let's just say some of the color combinations are different.
But most elderly Veterans are happy to get something homemade blankets.
Because you actually took the time and effort to make them something from the heart.

Last edited:
check out this video. the knot is at 5:05
I was at a flea market and saw a neckless made from yarn
I was told how it is made is to tie the knot like this video, then pull the 2 inside strands out
leaving the crisscross knot, with out the inner strands the neckless is accordion like and very pretty,

005.JPG

I don't in general have an addictive personality, but I'm a sucker for yarn- especially if its hand-dyed or on sale! Two years ago I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more until I used all I had. So a bin bag and a box of acrylics and leftover 'good' wool are now hats, gloves and scarves for a charity that does Christmas boxes. The few 'nice' skeins I have left will be made into cowls and fingerless gloves for gifts or sale; and that leaves three giant balls of aran weight that I plan on making in cardigans for myself and daughters maybe in this Louisa Harding pattern which I've done before.
1657115351890.png

Started back doing some projects- using some Donegal tweed aran, and using a Louisa Harding pattern. The intent is to make a vest for myself; but it may end up as a gift. It has a faux cable at the bottom which is really easy and its just something different from a rib.
For anyone interested in yarn, weaving etc , here's a link to mill Studio Donegal | Hand-Woven Garments | Donegal Tweeds & Woollens

Started back doing some projects- using some Donegal tweed aran, and using a Louisa Harding pattern. The intent is to make a vest for myself; but it may end up as a gift. It has a faux cable at the bottom which is really easy and its just something different from a rib.
For anyone interested in yarn, weaving etc , here's a link to mill Studio Donegal | Hand-Woven Garments | Donegal Tweeds & Woollens
Investors gotten to use that Donegal yarn. Knit myself an Aran sweater with it. When it’s sunny I’ll have to get some pictures—it’s a dark green. I wore to work one day, and all the Irish ladies in the accounting department rude and odd over it commenting on how I even cabled the back.

I'm very sorry to hear about the comments, considering I would cable the back also. If you can't say anything nice, say nothing. But looking forward to the photos! Its nearly the weather for it here.

I'm very sorry to hear about the comments, considering I would cable the back also. If you can't say anything nice, say nothing. But looking forward to the photos! Its nearly the weather for it here.
Ooops darn auto type thing. Comment wasn’t rude but “ooohed” and “aahhhed”.
I really need to be better at proofreading before posting . LOL

They were telling me the backs are never cabled anymore because it takes too much time to sell to the tourists.

Ooops darn auto type thing. Comment wasn’t rude but “ooohed” and “aahhhed”.
I really need to be better at proofreading before posting . LOL

They were telling me the backs are never cabled anymore because it takes too much time to sell to the tourists.
Well that makes more sense!

Q
What is "cabled"?

Ben

Latest posts

Back