Knuckling of newborn calf's front feet

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigi

Awesome friend
Neighbor
I have a newborn calf that can barely stand up because it's front feet are turned in towards it's body. I read on the internet that it usually resolves itself within a few days. Has anyone dealt with this issue? How long does it take for the calf to stand up normally? The calf has fed, so it has had the colostrum it needs.

Attachments

• 20190109_101619.jpg
    20190109_101619.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 15
Call and ask your local vet about selineum levels in your area. We have a problem with selineum deficiencies here and that is a common issue. Tractor supply carries a selineum vitamin e paste or you can get a BO-SE shot from your vet.

Last edited:
Selenium deficiency was my first thoughts too. I don't live in an area where selenium is an issue but I have needed it for a couple of my goat kids in the past. Our local Tractor Supply did not carry the tube until I talked with one of the head s at the store. She now makes sure to have a couple tubes in stock now.

Thank you everybody. I will get some selenium supplement at Tractor Supply. Her feet are better now. It took about three days before she walked completely normal. She's running around with the rest of the calves now.

I will stick my 2 cents in here, I agree with the above info, however I caution you on anyone's advice to add any incentive to the supplement Ie grain or sweet feed, Cattle know if they need minerals and should self regulate IMO.

Latest posts

Back