Kombucha

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do any of you make kombucha? I have, but not for a few years now. I had a scoby and several jars for brewing it and storing it in the fridge. I was really busy and lost track of it, gave it up. I buy myself kombucha when I go to the store now. I would love to get back into making my own kombucha again, but I have projects to finish before I get into it again.

Never made it, but our son's girlfriend used to make it and drink it all the time. Sometimes I think it fermented too long.
I'm a smoothie lover myself. But not those fruit syrup smoothies. I make my own because I'm picky about what goes in it. Good water, a bit of real good plain yogurt, and lots of fresh frozen fruit, the stuff I froze myself. Because the fruit is frozen, I don't need ice cubes.

My wife has made kombucha continuously for several years. She makes all kinds of fruit flavors. I am not a big fan since I do not like vinegar aroma/taste.

When her scobies get too large, she cuts them up into bite size pieces and dehydrates them into gummies.

I make kombucha. Do you need a SCOBY? I can send you one. My kombucha is pure organic hibiscus tea. It’s never fermented anything else. It’s a string, healthy kombucha.
I also make kefir and yogurt.

Never made it, but our son's girlfriend used to make it and drink it all the time. Sometimes I think it fermented too long.
I'm a smoothie lover myself. But not those fruit syrup smoothies. I make my own because I'm picky about what goes in it. Good water, a bit of real good plain yogurt, and lots of fresh frozen fruit, the stuff I froze myself. Because the fruit is frozen, I don't need ice cubes.
Haha. I make margaritas with frozen fruit so I don’t have to use ice.
My wife has made kombucha continuously for several years. She makes all kinds of fruit flavors. I am not a big fan since I do not like vinegar aroma/taste.

When her scobies get too large, she cuts them up into bite size pieces and dehydrates them into gummies.
Wow. Great idea. I never thought of that.

And SCOBYs should never go in the fridge but kept in a SCOBY hotel.

I make kombucha. Do you need a SCOBY? I can send you one. My kombucha is pure organic hibiscus tea. It’s never fermented anything else. It’s a string, healthy kombucha.
I also make kefir and yogurt.
Thank you for the offer. I have some purging projects to do that will take me a while before I can even think of starting making kombucha again.

I tried to drink kombucha about a month ago for the first time. Tried......
There is a very handsome and charismatic man in my neighborhood who posted in our neighborhood group about kombucha a few years ago. He has seen and heard all the raving and went to the store to buy a bottle of kombucha. He said he took a drink and immediately spit it all out. LOL! It can be acquired taste, and some version do taste more like vinegar than others. Another thing is that when people start drinking it, they often can not drink a whole bottle at a time, just a little.
Some of the CBD beverages I drink are vinegary as well. I find it difficult to finish some of them in a few hours. I sleep better when I do drink them, so I carry on.

The worst flavored kombucha I made was rhubarb. It was so tart.
If it’s too tart you can always add honey or some type of sweetener. If you do a second ferment in a bottle in the fridge, I always add a few raisins or some sweet fruit in there. A second ferment in the fridge gives it good fizz and can sweeten it up a bit.

If it’s too tart you can always add honey or some type of sweetener. If you do a second ferment in a bottle in the fridge, I always add a few raisins or some sweet fruit in there. A second ferment in the fridge gives it good fizz and can sweeten it up a bit.
I did a second ferment in the fridge as well, with fruit added.

I make kombucha as well. Love it. Did I say I love it? I can fill a mason jar of it and drink it all. 🐷 i would love to learn on how to get the flavors like store bought. Say, pineapple peach. Do you flavor only a second ferment? or flavor and toss in fridge?

Our son's old girlfriend would look a little tipsy when she drank her own homemade. Wonder what she did to it?
She may have over fermented it.
Kombucha naturally had a bit of alcohol as does ant fermentation. But typically very low, about 0.5%. She either over fermented or added something. I’ve never gotten tipsy from kombucha.

Kombucha naturally had a bit of alcohol as does ant fermentation. But typically very low, about 0.5%. She either over fermented or added something. I’ve never gotten tipsy from kombucha.
I've never gotten tipsy from kombucha either, and I am very sensitive to alcohol. I even choose grape juice for communion over wine.

Okay, folks. I have a few SCOBY that need a new home. I have my original one that is quite large and thick and I could cut in quarters. I also have three thinner SCOBY round as the bottom of a quart mason jar. I’m willing to ship these to anyone who wants to start making their own kombucha. These SCOBY are 100% organic made solely with organic hibiscus tea. They can certainly be used to make any kind of kombucha you want. I prefer the fruity kombucha rather than a black tea kombucha but your taste preference may be different. I will send a SCOBY with some starter kombucha so you can start the process. All I ask is you pay shipping. Anyone interested? If not, I’ll try dehydrating them.

DW make something that is fermented, but I am not sure what it is, but it in the family. I will stay with sauerkraut & pickles.

Back