Kudzu

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
kudzu.jpg

Can humans eat kudzu?
Pretty much all of it — the leaves, flowers and roots — is edible except the vine. Use the leaves raw, baked in quiches, cooked down like collards or even deep-fried. Go for young kudzu shoots as they're tender and have a taste similar to snow peas.

View attachment 42445

Can humans eat kudzu?
Pretty much all of it — the leaves, flowers and roots — is edible except the vine. Use the leaves raw, baked in quiches, cooked down like collards or even deep-fried. Go for young kudzu shoots as they're tender and have a taste similar to snow peas.

Interesting. I have played in it, tried to control it and its just alway been there.Never eaten any.

Its amazing somehow after rearangemnts we have lots more room in both rooms and I know the furnuture didn't shrink.:dunno:. I am bumping into things more now ,hubby keeps saying " slow the heck down" till you know where things are.No more black eyes yet though,I still can't beleive how black both my eyes were when I walked into that darn door!:huh:Too bad drug stores didin'y sell leeches anymore☹.I can still rememebr a drug store in Atlanta 's West End that kept leeches for black eyes.Must have been a bad place to run your mouth or people were bullies.Drug stores also lept castor oil on hand and had Soda Fountains that admistetred it to us kids, what a nasuating concocktion that crapola was floating on op of shaved ice in cherry or lime coke.. :barf:.

I always stop by big patches when kudzu is blooming. It smells just like the grape bubblegum I used to get as a kid. I’m seen jelly made from the blooms at the farmers market. I’ve never tried it myself.

But! are the days of kudzu numbered? The feds brought kudzu here for erosion control in the 1930's (dust bowl years). Some now claim in 2009 they brought a bug here to eat it. Others claim it hitched a ride on an airplane and landed at Hartsfield in Atlanta.

Only the bug is now eating everything, causing severe crop damage and ravaging small gardens everywhere.

The North Carolina extension people have a pretty good article about it.

The kudzu bug (Megacopta cribraria) was introduced to the U.S. in 2009 and is now found in most North Carolina counties. A true bug roughly the size of a lady beetle, it uses its piercing sucking mouthparts to rob plants of water and nutrients and can cause significant yield loss.

Read more at: Kudzu Bug

Kudzu Bug

I always stop by big patches when kudzu is blooming. It smells just like the grape bubblegum I used to get as a kid. I’m seen jelly made from the blooms at the farmers market. I’ve never tried it myself.

But! are the days of kudzu numbered? The feds brought kudzu here for erosion control in the 1930's (dust bowl years). Some now claim in 2009 they brought a bug here to eat it. Others claim it hitched a ride on an airplane and landed at Hartsfield in Atlanta.

Only the bug is now eating everything, causing severe crop damage and ravaging small gardens everywhere.

The North Carolina extension people have a pretty good article about it.

The kudzu bug (Megacopta cribraria) was introduced to the U.S. in 2009 and is now found in most North Carolina counties. A true bug roughly the size of a lady beetle, it uses its piercing sucking mouthparts to rob plants of water and nutrients and can cause significant yield loss.

Read more at: Kudzu Bug
Kudzu Bug

They just can't leave things alone. As I've said many times they have turned Florida into a jungle with species that have no natural predators. I think the pythons have totally got rid of the Florida Keys deer.

:green man:there hows it going?I'm just about to get busy here on rearanging the kitchen and midjet dining room.How about you?

working on my kitchen. poured half the counters yesterday, have a dr appt today
hopefully finish the tops tomorrow

Here is a pretty good starter article on eating kudzu on the "Eat the Weeds" website.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/kudzu-pueraria-montana-var-lobata-fried-2/

I wasn't really looking but never noticed any blooms or fruit on a kudzu before. We have something here that I think is from the same species but not sure.
I thought these grapes vines were muscadines too and made mistake of planting them on my fence to grow grapes,All I got is vines now to keep pulling up and cutting back!:ghostly:I checked out the buds and tried to find the females but still not even a bloom since I transplanted them 3 seasons ago. I giveup on any ID of vines now. Something is also killing the wild black berries here, our place 13 yr ago had lots of black berry clusters. Now trying to save what little I see the birds and I fight over. Wild plums all died about 15 yr ago. what ever is going on is not good.Nothing replacing any of it either.

Kudzu vine for making baskets.
Also cut & drop for not till bed mulch & fertilizer.
I have never eat it, I will eat it before insects.

Back