Lack of common sense!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cnsper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This is happening all over Montana. People are posting that they are in desperate need of winter clothing, snow tires etc.

I am just going to guess that this is from the bunch that fled other areas because of covid.

If not shame on you. It snows in June sometimes. Don't give me the out if work BS when your unemployment has been higher than your wage.

The big problem is their kids suffer.

Ok, done with my rant before I say something I shouldn't.

It will get worse.....Much-Much worse. When 10% or 20% or 30% die-off kicks-in. People are delusional about what is coming, like a full throttle runaway freight train.........😧

This is happening all over Montana. People are posting that they are in desperate need of winter clothing, snow tires etc.

I am just going to guess that this is from the bunch that fled other areas because of covid.

If not shame on you. It snows in June sometimes. Don't give me the out if work BS when your unemployment has been higher than your wage.

The big problem is their kids suffer.

Ok, done with my rant before I say something I shouldn't.
I've seen this as well. You can mess around with somethings, but not being ill prepared for freezing temperatures.

The one thing that the welfare system has created is too many people that know how to put their hands out when they need. Yes, the unemployment compensation has been higher than typical unemployment, and I know at least one person who is milking it for all it is worth. He's going to get himself a new guitar, and a few other nice new toys, he said.

So many parents count on the state providing everything for their children, it's crazy. Free school breakfast, lunch. And if schools are closed, you can pick up meals to go, free. Free coats, medical, dental, clothing. Why did they have children in the first place, if they don't make an effort to feed and clothe them? I do understand temporary hard times people may have. But this is for their whole life.

Don't kid yourselves, they won't self-terminate, before they die, they are coming for your stuff. "Wake-up time is now here".

... Yes, the unemployment compensation has been higher than typical unemployment, and I know at least one person who is milking it for all it is worth. He's going to get himself a new guitar, and a few other nice new toys, he said.
Maybe he should have been saving it up to buy a new job?
Oh, I forgot, that is the one thing in this world that you cannot 'buy'. :rolleyes:
The thread title rings true: "Lack of common sense".
idiot.gif

not sure of situation OP is talking about per say. but my contacts in Montana have been talking about supply chain break downs in their area since mid summer. items are just not making it to them.they are in business too.YMMV !

like iceagefarmer says you can print money but you cant print food...same goes for goods..you can print the money but it does zero good if the goods are not there or are stuck on a dock on other side of globe...or in Seattle area on docks.

If we have a really hard winter there is going to be a lot of people crying.... On TV.... Gobermant gotta gt me sum heat, I ned tis, an tht....

I remember when I first moved here, we got 2 3+ foot snow storms back to back, had a van parked in front of the house and we couldn't see it, we went over a week without power in an all electric house, it never got up to freezing. We were all family camping in a tent in the living room... The snow plow never did make it to our street, we dug ourselves out with the help of our friends...

Now days it's, Don't worry folks, the democrats will put you up in a fancy-nancy hotel. Dealing's

not sure of situation OP is talking about per say. but my contacts in Montana have been talking about supply chain break downs in their area since mid summer. items are just not making it to them.they are in business too.YMMV !

like iceagefarmer says you can print money but you cant print food...same goes for goods..you can print the money but it does zero good if the goods are not there or are stuck on a dock on other side of globe...or in Seattle area on docks.
I would like to know where because I am all over the state. Its not like you didn't see winter coming. Winter is not like a tornado.

I start watching for what I need in April and buy as I find it. I do wish that I had brought my baffins on this trip but it is not unbearable. Toes are chilled but not cold.

Wool socks and boots but sitting here the cold creeps in.

Sad to this (another Montanana here) but just because people have lived in MT for decades, doesn't mean they have their act together. We are a very poor state, but we are also a state where its relatively 'easy' to be poor in. With no vehicle inspections, generally no dress codes or expectations in schools or work...or society.....you can just get along pretty easily in a thirty year old broken down car with bald tires, a broken out rear window, flip flops, shorts and a T shirt for half the year without really having to do anything about it. Then...when it suddenly snows a foot after a long, warm fall...you realize how ill prepared you are.

Now the answer to how this happens I think is a rural problem in general. In the Ken Burns Dustbowl documentary one part really struck me. When talking about why people stayed in an obviously deteriorating situation one of the interviewees said "We where 'next year people'" as in, they would always say "next year is going to be better" and tough out bad times by telling themselves they could put up without something right now because 'next year' was going to be better and they would be able to buy the things they needed.

I think this is really true, particularly of poor rural states like MT. I hear it all the time. Everyone is always saying how next year is going to be a better year and if they can just get through this winter then they can afford to buy those new tires, or a better truck, or move into a better house, or find a better job, etc etc.

Of course the reality is that ever since about 1979 every year has been worse than the year before for most people. A lot of people I know are still waiting to recover from 2008, literally driving on the same tires that where worn out then and hoping that 'next year' they can afford new ones.

I guess on one level, this is what people in what at least used to be the suicide capital of the country have to tell themselves to survive. But on another....not accepting that next year you will be older, in worse health most likely deeper in debt, poorer in a world where things cost more...is how you end up painted into a corner you cannot escape from.

I always plan on having to work harder next year than I did this year, just to be able to keep what I had or at least slow the entropy. Eventually I will hit the limit and crash and burn...and it will be a last year unless someone takes care of me. Which is also the way of life out here.

Sad to this (another Montanana here) but just because people have lived in MT for decades, doesn't mean they have their act together. We are a very poor state, but we are also a state where its relatively 'easy' to be poor in. With no vehicle inspections, generally no dress codes or expectations in schools or work...or society.....you can just get along pretty easily in a thirty year old broken down car with bald tires, a broken out rear window, flip flops, shorts and a T shirt for half the year without really having to do anything about it. Then...when it suddenly snows a foot after a long, warm fall...you realize how ill prepared you are.

Now the answer to how this happens I think is a rural problem in general. In the Ken Burns Dustbowl documentary one part really struck me. When talking about why people stayed in an obviously deteriorating situation one of the interviewees said "We where 'next year people'" as in, they would always say "next year is going to be better" and tough out bad times by telling themselves they could put up without something right now because 'next year' was going to be better and they would be able to buy the things they needed.

I think this is really true, particularly of poor rural states like MT. I hear it all the time. Everyone is always saying how next year is going to be a better year and if they can just get through this winter then they can afford to buy those new tires, or a better truck, or move into a better house, or find a better job, etc etc.

Of course the reality is that ever since about 1979 every year has been worse than the year before for most people. A lot of people I know are still waiting to recover from 2008, literally driving on the same tires that where worn out then and hoping that 'next year' they can afford new ones.

I guess on one level, this is what people in what at least used to be the suicide capital of the country have to tell themselves to survive. But on another....not accepting that next year you will be older, in worse health most likely deeper in debt, poorer in a world where things cost more...is how you end up painted into a corner you cannot escape from.

I always plan on having to work harder next year than I did this year, just to be able to keep what I had or at least slow the entropy. Eventually I will hit the limit and crash and burn...and it will be a last year unless someone takes care of me. Which is also the way of life out here.
It's not rural people posting, it is city folk. Montana is not that poor. Yeah there are poor areas but not any worse than other states.

Maybe he should have been saving it up to buy a new job?
Oh, I forgot, that is the one thing in this world that you cannot 'buy'. :rolleyes:
The thread title rings true: "Lack of common sense".View attachment 52336
This is a kid whose parents sent him to private school at $50,000 a year and have a home on Cape Cod. He hates wealthy people. :rolleyes: Wants to burn down their homes. I bit my tongue, but I wanted to say, "Would that include your parent's home?" Some people really are messed up.

It's not rural people posting, it is city folk. Montana is not that poor. Yeah there are poor areas but not any worse than other states.

Umm....we are 39th in per capita income. Only the deep south is worse, and they don't have to deal with our winters. We are like Missouri but with the added expense of snow tires, heating bills and winter clothing. Make no mistake, by American standards, this is a third world state.

And that is just the average including the wealthy cali imports in Missoula and Greatfalls. Get out of the cites and there is very little money to be had. I don't know the current numbers, but per capita in my county was $15,000 in 2010

Last edited:
Umm....we are 39th in per capita income. Only the deep south is worse. And that is just the average including the wealthy cali imports in Missoula and Greatfalls. Get out of the cites and there is very little money to be had. I don't know the current numbers, but per capita in my county was $15,000 in 2010
Rural areas are where I do my best business, there is money there. My best sales days are on the high line. Best single day was in Wolf Point on the reservation followed closely by Malta and Conrad.

Rural areas are where I do my best business, there is money there. My best sales days are on the high line. Best single day was in Wolf Point on the reservation followed closely by Malta and Conrad.

Good for you. I'm glad you found a way to make money here. One of the lucky few.

Good for you. I'm glad you found a way to make money here. One of the lucky few.
Respectfully disagree.
Not lucky.
A motivated, driven, hard worker.
Nobody comes and dumps a pile of lottery winnings in his lap.
That is "lucky".
Hard work pays off.

define wealth, As old Sylvan Hart said " a man looks out his window and sees another house, he is a poor man" I guess that was from his point of view, he knew what he wanted out of life.

Everything I needed to know about "Wealth", I learned from, "Burning Daylight" by: Jack London.

the powers to be have been encouraging dependency for some time now, I don't expect any thing less from some folks.
This is exactly what I was thinking from the beginning post. It's not unintended. @Amish Heart pointed out how so many want free free free. If you are the giver, you have the control. The takers are dependent but led to believe they are entitled to free with a feel-goody goody scenario. If government is giving to these "poor souls" they have complete control of them. The sad part is there are so many willing to forego their liberties in trade.

This is exactly what I was thinking from the beginning post. It's not unintended. @Amish Heart pointed out how so many want free free free. If you are the giver, you have the control. The takers are dependent but led to believe they are entitled to free with a feel-goody goody scenario. If government is giving to these "poor souls" they have complete control of them. The sad part is there are so many willing to forego their liberties in trade.

I live in the state of NY. More people receive handouts than work. Yeah, I pay a lot of taxes here. Yes, they trample our 2nd amendment rights here. Yes, We could leave. I, for one, and many others have said enough. You will NOT run us out of our homes, our communities, or our state. The push back finally started with the covid bs we have seen here. The candle gets burned at both ends with the governor claiming he is the best of the best of the best yet failed, as always, at every single thing he has done. He failed to claim the reality of his policies, however, when he killed 7, 000 nursing home residents by placing those with covid / communicable disease into settings where the most vulnerable lived. 🤬

I live in the state of NY. More people receive handouts than work. Yeah, I pay a lot of taxes here. Yes, they trample our 2nd amendment rights here. Yes, We could leave. I, for one, and many others have said enough. You will NOT run us out of our homes, our communities, or our state. The push back finally started with the covid bs we have seen here. The candle gets burned at both ends with the governor claiming he is the best of the best of the best yet failed, as always, at every single thing he has done. He failed to claim the reality of his policies, however, when he killed 7, 000 nursing home residents by placing those with covid / communicable disease into settings where the most vulnerable lived. 🤬
I am in Washington state - totally understand.

The issue as I see it is determining who is truly needy vs. who is truly lazy. I do not mind helping the needy. I would bet the ones who are whining about not having the necessities are all driving big SUV's; have cell phones with total access for every family member; have cable TV with every premium channel; wear $200.00 shoes etc. etc. But I am expected to pay for their health care et al.

the powers to be have been encouraging dependency for some time now, I don't expect any thing less from some folks.

Yes they do. That is exactly how they maintain power. Those people do not deserve the liberty they have.

The situation described in the OP is not a Montana issue. This mindset and situation is prevalent among the new generation that America has produced. We have incentivized and thus have mass produced a generation that is dependent on the government or others for everything.

This isn’t limited to those at the lower end of the economic system. This applies to the masses. In a world where the normal infrastructure collapses, the masses will panic and self preservation will take over. They only know one strategy to survive: take from others. If you are paying attention to what is happening know, these masses gullible and are easily steered. They will be steered to hate and blame, and they will blame anyone who has resources. They will blame you for their predicament.

History shows exactly what will happen when this time comes. The outcome has always been the same and nothing will prevent it from happening again.

Back