Laminate flooring

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I just put down laminate flooring in most of my house. Any tips on keeping it clean and scuff free? I want it to last for years.

I bought floor coasters for my big chairs in the living room. For everything else, like the kitchen table legs/chair legs I bought self-stick felt pads. I bought a bunch of those and put them on everything, even book shelves and end tables/tvstand/computer desk.

Granted… new flooring when all the paneling and kitchen cabinets were installed in 1974. New flooring is like lipstick on a pig.

Still I’d like to keep my floor clean. Everybody, including the manufacturer recommends the Swiffer sweeper and /or the Swiffer Sweeper/Vac.

Does anyone have experience with those products? I use the Swiffer dusters already, satisfied.

Animal 02 ( 8).jpg

I guess depends what you like. I use a good old sponge mop with a scrubber. Good idea to put the coaster pads under the fridge. Also I use a pink floor cleaner (just a little bit) I get in a gallon jug at Sams Club with really hot water.
I used to clean houses as a teen to earn money. I'm remembering that stinky floor stuff that you could mop over linoleum to make it shine after you had scrubbed it clean. Mostly back then, scrubbing a kitchen floor meant donning thick gloves, hot water and soap and a scrubber in a bucket, scrubbing by hand on your knees.
Maybe your next to do list could be painting your cupboards so they'll look as good as your floor

My wife uses a Swifter thing or a damp mop.
When we installed our flooring they told us to use only a damp mop but sometimes that doesn't get it clean.
Like JAC said watch out for large spills.
We have a spot in a bedroom that has been damaged by water.
We didn't know it was spilled under the bed and didn't mop it up.
As far as scuffs, we don't have any even after several years.
Laminate flooring is pretty hard stuff.
I put a laminate floor in our kitchen and dining that looks like tile.
I used a water proofing product on all the seams and it works well.
It's kind of like a glue that goes on all the seams after the floor is installed
Even when water gets spilled it doesn't harm it.

My wife also uses a Swifter sometimes and other times she vacuums the floor.

Just yesterday I ordered vinyl plank flooring for my house. Our house now has epoxy coated cement floors.

Thanks, sounds like good tips all! I bought one of those swiffer things at lowes tonight. I bought dry pads for sweeping and damp pads for spills and such.

@backlash whats the name of that water proofing product? Sounds like something worth looking into.

Latest posts

Back