Land Insurance question

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melancholy Bear

Friend
Neighbor
I'm running into walls trying to get liability insurance on some almost-vacant land we purchased out-of-state. Agents either say we can't insure it because you don't live here (Farm Bureau) or we can't insure it because there's a metal building on it (USLI, Veracity). Does anyone have ideas of who can or will insure land with a metal building on it in another state from where we live? State Farm can, but is quite high, and I would like to compare more quotes.

Don't insure the land..............If someone gets hurt they do "NOT" litigate against the land as the defendant. Ask your current insurance company about an "Umbrella" policy. It covers "You" for liability claims. But you do need an underlying policy.

Don't insure the land..............If someone gets hurt they do "NOT" litigate against the land as the defendant. Ask your current insurance company about an "Umbrella" policy. It covers "You" for liability claims. But you do need an underlying policy.
Oh...okay, good to know. I already have an umbrella policy. I didn't realize that would cover someone getting hurt there. Thanks

Check the state laws, some state say you have to post POSTED sign, to have a legal right againt trust passer.

Maybe check with the insurance company you use for your home. Tell them the situation and they can probably steer you in the right direction or even offer coverage, especially considering you have an umbrella policy with them. They will let you know if that umbrella policy will extend or not. It's always better to know up front.

If you are trying to buy comprehensive insurance that covers theft and such you are going to pay a great deal. Your umbrella policy covers liability. If someone sues you for getting hurt on your property.
Trespassing is not a crime, it is a civil infraction, like speeding, so people ignore it.

Maybe check with the insurance company you use for your home. Tell them the situation and they can probably steer you in the right direction or even offer coverage, especially considering you have an umbrella policy with them. They will let you know if that umbrella policy will extend or not. It's always better to know up front.
Okay, I will ask. I'm a little bit leary about asking if the umbrella would cover us, because I bet they would say no. Better to know now, I guess.

Latest posts

Back