Lard...very good article

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember two cans on Grandma’s stove. One was the ‘for company’ grease the other for general use. She would pour the clear, or top grease off in one jar and the remainder in the other jar. So one was pure white the other had bits in it.

The company lard was used for biscuits and baking the other for general grease. I never had two cans, all fat went into the one and the bits just settled to the bottom. Never remember it going rancid but do not recall how long the can was used for, years to my recollection. Just take a spoonful out whenever frying anything in a pan.

I remember two cans on Grandma’s stove. One was the ‘for company’ grease the other for general use. She would pour the clear, or top grease off in one jar and the remainder in the other jar. So one was pure white the other had bits in it.

The company lard was used for biscuits and baking the other for general grease. I never had two cans, all fat went into the one and the bits just settled to the bottom. Never remember it going rancid but do not recall how long the can was used for, years to my recollection. Just take a spoonful out whenever frying anything in a pan.

My grandmother did the same thing, and I don't remember the lard ever going bad and it was there for years.

I seem to remember, one time, when my grandmother cleaned out the grease can and tossed out the bits in the bottom of the can.

Back