Late Night Wakies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Most of us are older folks… The closer I get to 60 the more often I wake up in the middle of the night, like tonight. Most of the time… some herbal tea or some tincture, right back out again…

Sometimes I wake up hungry, a slice of melon or some chips do the trick… Other times I’m really, really hungry… I buy diced ham. I wrap it foil in single serve sizes and stuff them in a gallon freezer bag. If I want a salad, single serve size, ready to go. If I want nachos… good to go.

If I wake up really, really hungry, I make nachos. Single serve ham ready to go! I use real sour cream, good salsa, I like the Tostitos restaurant style, medium heat. I use green onion diced fine (has to be green onion), good cheese, I buy the cherry tomatoes, so sweet and good lettuce… You don’t see serrano’s or jalapenos, out of season. I grew Tabasco peppers last year, ground them up fine. They bring the heat.

The best part of my nachos… I never finish them, fry up a couple of strips of bacon the next morning, sprinkle them over my left-over nachos… lunch!

Any who… my late-night munchie…

Anyone else care to share what cures their late nite wakies and helps them doze off again?

Sometimes I wake up and only manage to give myself a good case of indigestion… I watch the sun come up knowing I’m going to doze off… hoping I wake up for lunch.

Nachos_v1.jpg

We find drinking some warm milk with a little honey helps us get back to sleep. I know if I have too much caffeine during the day, it wakes me up. If I eat some chocolate the day before, it can wake me up. I am assuming it is the caffeine in the chocolate that causes that.

I have heard that magnesium can help with sleep. Soaking your feet in Epsom salts will increase your magnesium levels. I have also heard that it helps with restless leg syndrome. I don't know.

Husband has a nose strip on and a cpap machine, so no more snoring. Before that he would wake the dead.

My husband has a cpap but needs a different kind of mask. The one he has had air going in the nose and right back out the mouth. Sounds like I'm laying next to a wind tunnel by a raging river, I prefer the snoring!!

I try not to get close to my husband's face. He uses 3 liters of oxygen and it is like a wind tunnel. At least it's more like white noise, and not snarkle, smack, snooooorrreee...

I'd have to sleep out side for that to be white noise..:D

My husband has a cpap but needs a different kind of mask. The one he has had air going in the nose and right back out the mouth. Sounds like I'm laying next to a wind tunnel by a raging river, I prefer the snoring!!
When that is happening he is not getting the proper treatment. He might as well not be wearing the mask. He really needs to get that corrected.

When that is happening he is not getting the proper treatment. He might as well not be wearing the mask. He really needs to get that corrected.

He quit wearing it. I made an apt for him to go back and get a full face mask. Who knew you had to have a prescription for these things???

If you're looking for a full face mask take a look at the Mirage Quatro. That has been my mask for a couple of decades and I understand that they are the most popular.

Elevating the head of the bed 4" to 6" will help.

SnoreRx and a chinstrap, together, helps also.
https://www.snorerx.com/features?tm_aid=521b7b6c6ff7d&tm_bid=2c71950b&atrkid=V3ADWD79514FD_1306219873184458_kwd-81638776678910:loc-190_{placement}_{creative}_s_c_{adType}_{target}_{adposition}&msclkid=7b08183b5da61c32e01944e11c1d8faa

Husband wears the strap, too. Also, our bed is elevated (cinderblocks) at the head. Annoyed the heck out of me when we did that. I'd slide down the end of the bed in the middle of the night, and once, fell out. He also uses lots of pillows to elevate further.
The things we do for love.

I'm now convinced... the most evil creature on this planet when you are having trouble sleeping late at night...

A cricket in the house! :mad: One of the few things I dislike about summer... I really hate it when a cricket gets in my house... hiding and making little cricket noises. :D

It drives me nuts... never been water boarded but tie me to my bed with a cricket in the room... I'd spill my guts in 10 minutes...;)

Last edited:
If I get to bed at a later hour I usually don't wake until morning. But if I fall asleep early I tend to wake between 11pm and 1am and can't go back to sleep.

If I nap during the day, forget it. I won't sleep until at least 2am. I blame it on all the night shift work I did when I was younger. My body just naturally wants to be up at night now...

It doesn't matter when I go to sleep, I always wake up after 7 to 8 hours. The bad part is it takes a lot of effort to get out of bed and on my feet.

Magnesium used to work really well for me, and it also keeps you "regular" if you care about that sort of thing. I still take the magnesium, but now I've got the night sweats to deal with. Ug! I take black kohash for the night sweats and it helps, but doesn't work all the time. I use a white noise machine and also have really good shades, so it's dark in my room. I also keep it really cool, which hubs hates, but he can always grab another blanket.

Hunger is never the reason I wake up during the night. It's typically the night sweats or having to pee. If I have a few drinks that day, I take a couple OTC sleeping pills, but that seems to increase the night sweats. Damn, I can't wait til the hormones finally figure themselves out!

I have melatonin on my shopping list that I am going to try. Hopefully that'll help b/c when I don't get a full nights sleep 2 days in a row, it presents itself as a migraine. Yeah, this gettin old stuff is so much fun.:confused:

Older folks = over 85.
Sheesh, @Peanut You make it sound like you're really old!
Who can eat at a time like this? Not me. Maybe peanut butter and crackers.
Right now I think I'm hearing tree frogs and they talk for hours. Annoying! Almost as bad as crickets.
Yes, I took 2 power naps today. I'll regret it in the morning.

Yep, the older I get, the more apt I am to wake up in the middle of the night. Usually this will involve food!! Might be anything from a sandwich to a full scale meal!! Depends on how "awake" I am. Not unusual for me to be frying eggs and hash browns at 2:30 AM....or a pork chop!! I am finding as I grow older there are no such things as "regular hours!"

@VenomJockey we are the same here and have no regular sort of eating hours as it is basically when we are hungry. I have been known to have midnight snacks too.

Day and night don't mean much anymore. Sleep when you feel like it, cook when you feel like it, etc.

Back