Late Night Wakies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also say avoid stimulants. Cinnamon is one that will get me (keep me awake.) Also, it takes the body 5 hours to process 1 tsp. of sugar (carbs are sugars.) Caffeine seems to take all the flack, but it's not alone. Mystery chemicals in many foods play a part as well.

Husband wears the strap, too. Also, our bed is elevated (cinderblocks) at the head. Annoyed the heck out of me when we did that. I'd slide down the end of the bed in the middle of the night, and once, fell out. He also uses lots of pillows to elevate further.
The things we do for love.

For about 10 years years now we have twin beds put together like a king size bed would be. We are still next to each other but have seperate bed sheets,blankets. My bed is raised about 4 inches. He uses a huge pillow for his back it takes pressure off all the metal rods, screws ,cages,etc,ehe has in it. we hold hands and sometimes cuddle if he is having a good back day.

I have had panic attacks since heart attack so he has been up all night some nights with me. I give him a massage and that helps him at times when he is not hurting really bad. We really lean on each other older we get.

Getting old is sure not for sissys!

I would also say avoid stimulants. Cinnamon is one that will get me (keep me awake.) Also, it takes the body 5 hours to process 1 tsp. of sugar (carbs are sugars.) Caffeine seems to take all the flack, but it's not alone. Mystery chemicals in many foods play a part as well.

LadyL I agree although I drink coffee its 1/3 the strenth it use to be.

If I get to bed at a later hour I usually don't wake until morning. But if I fall asleep early I tend to wake between 11pm and 1am and can't go back to sleep.

If I nap during the day, forget it. I won't sleep until at least 2am. I blame it on all the night shift work I did when I was younger. My body just naturally wants to be up at night now...

Me too if I go to bed before 11pm I'm up at 12:30, 1am.

Last edited:
i have trouble sleeping all night, tend to wake upp and myt brain starts galloping off to the races, its hard to tell myself to shut up and go back to sleep, lol. i have been a night owl for many years and have been trying to get myself to go to bed by 11:30. im a white noise machine addict anf have a couple, they are very helpful.

ive found a few things that help me go to sleep or fall back to sleep.

magnesium oil.
not to ingest. i fill a roll on app;licater bottle with 50/50 mag oil and water. give it a good shake and roll it on my stomach several times about an hour or so before bed, . its a little greasy feeling but it does rub in. that gives me a deeper sleep even if i have to wake up at 3am to pee which is pretty standard. also, the mag oil roll on can help ease aches and pains, ive rolled it on knees, back, shoulders, it does some relief. im all about natural pain relief having fibromyalgia for years.

i also tried melatonin--the 5mg helped me fall asleep pretty good but i stll would wake up in the middle of the night and lay there. id have to take anotyher 5mg when i woke up. i tend to toss and turn for a ggood hour before falling back to sleep and i got tired of it. so id take another 5mg. but a 10mg made a real difference in helping me sleep a good 7 hrs, something ive not done in many years. i still dont want to get out of bed in the morning cause im sort of lazy but at least i feel better having the sleep.

ive tried L-tryptonphan, this is pretty good also in relaxing and feeling a bit sleepy but for me the melatonin works better for me

sleep is so critical l especially in stressful times.

My doc told me to take 5Mg of melatonin at bed time. I said I have 3Mg tablets. He said take two so I do. It helps with my sleep and I take them about an hour before I want to go go sleep.

He didn't prescribe the melatonin for my sleep but to help prevent catching Whuan Flu, or at least to prevent the reactions that kill people.

@Caribou a vitamin D supplement would help. Because of your location and age your D level may be very low. It helps the body assimilate intake of calcium. I don't drink or use cow milk. I keep forgetting to take the Vitamin D I bought but am looking forward to sleeping more than 5 hours.

@Caribou a vitamin D supplement would help. Because of your location and age your D level may be very low. It helps the body assimilate intake of calcium. I don't drink or use cow milk. I keep forgetting to take the Vitamin D I bought but am looking forward to sleeping more than 5 hours.
Thanks, I already take 10,000 units of vitamin D3 per day. I believe this helps me keep from getting sick. I almost never get the flu and when I do it is very light. Actually, I haven't had the flu since I started on 10,000 units over a year ago. At 5,000 units of vitamin D it was rare to get sick.

Hunger is never the reason I wake up during the night. It's typically the night sweats or having to pee. If I have a few drinks that day, I take a couple OTC sleeping pills, but that seems to increase the night sweats. Damn, I can't wait til the hormones finally figure themselves out!

[/QUOTE]

my doc told me if I get hot flashes or night sweats, it is something you are eating that has an added hormone in it. I was drinking organic milk keifer around 7/8 everynight, yikes was it hot In the middle of the night 😁 i quit the keifer and sure enough, no more night sweats. The other day I had tacos at my daughters, she bought a package of seasoning mix for the meat. Sure enough, I had hot flashes. pay attention what you are eating, that might help.

You eat in the middle of the night??? My gosh, if I did that I would never go back to sleep. If I wake up in the middle of the night it is usually either that I had too much tea too late and have to go to the bathroom, or I had a bad dream that woke me up. Most of the time I go back to sleep, if the dream was really bad, I play card games on my phone for a while

Usually when I wake up and can't immediately go back to sleep, it is because my brain is racing around worrying about some stupid thing or another. To stop that, I read a book (a fiction novel that transports me mentally to a faraway place). Once my mind has gotten into the book and forgotten what it was worried about, I'm dead asleep again. Only takes a few minutes...

Back