Learning To Use Bow And Arrow

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I told hubby to get it back out for me to try again. Last time was a disaster.
I couldn't even get close to bullseye target much less bulls eye. I did get a giant whelp on my arm and injured finger.
Of course Mr Good At Everything hubby did great.
Anyone here good with archery?

Both of our girls competed in 4-H archery. Buy, and use, an arm guard. They aren't expensive and will protect your arm from the bow string. Keep your elbow slightly bent and don't lower your bow until the arrow hits the target. Those are the 2 biggest reasons for getting smacked with the string.

I used to be when I was a kid. I bought a used compound bow a few years back and never got it usable. I think it needed a string and sights. Sometimes I think about buying a new one all set up.

I have tried shooting a bow and arrow a few times. I was using men's bows and they were way too tough for me. The important thing for me would be to have a bow that I can flex. I haven't been able to in the past and I am not as strong as I used to be.

Last edited:
Both of our girls competed in 4-H archery. Buy, and use, an arm guard. They aren't expensive and will protect your arm from the bow string. Keep your elbow slightly bent and don't lower your bow until the arrow hits the target. Those are the 2 biggest reasons for getting smacked with the string.

Thanks Terrie, thats great that your girls take archery. I'll get that arm guard for sure and maybe finger guards and a helmet when bow slings around toward face. I have a straight index finger from it getting chopped off on a glass baby bottle ,no plastic back then. They just sewed it back on,it gets in the way. I'd point it at hubby when mad and he'd say get that wooden finger out of my face.:D

I have tried shooting a bow and arrow a few times. I was using men's bows and they were way too tough for me. The important thing for me would be to have a bow that I can flex. I haven't been able to in the past and I am not as strong as I used to be.

The draw weight can be adjusted. Find a good archery store and they can adjust a bow to fit you perfectly.

The bow shouldn't be slinging anywhere. You should have a light grip on it with your hand. A wrist sling will help too. The index finger shouldn't make a difference.

If you have one that is always sticking up when pressure is applied to the hand it makes lots of difference. Balance is off. But not nearly as much as my aim. Maybe practice with closer target,don't know.

I had classmates get mad at me for hitting the bullseye just about every time in high school pe class while they missed the target.

You see, we had wooden arrows with some severe warping. If it bent your the right I aimed to the left and so on. These were long bows. I can't shoot a bow with sites, I sight down the arrow.

We have a few crossbows but restringing one is difficult long term SHTF.

They have something called a release now. It holds the string and has a trigger. There are many styles and price ranges. This may help you out. The best way would be go to a bow shop and see what works for you.
s-l400.png

I'm real good with bows if they're set up and fit me right.
Quick releases like Cascadian posted,or any actually, help a lot. Consistency is the key to accurate bow shooting. Using the same anchor point (how far back you hold it) and release of the string help a lot. Like mentioned before the poundage to pull it back can be adjusted along with the draw length on some anyway and the sights can all be adjusted. Practice is very important too.

Last edited:
I shoot a bow almost every day alongside a sling shot I can use compound long bow recurve and self bow but lately I have been taking old compound bow a part and turning them into recurve bows

Back