leather britches

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
i want to try leather britches as a way of preserving beans. has anyone ever done this and if so do you like this method? it would be a way to preserve without electricity.

I tried doing the string method with peppers a few years ago but where they touched on the line with eachother, they turned brown and started to rot. I had read about how the old timers would do this to dry so wanted to try it out but I am probably not in the best climate to do this since I am near the coast and have a high hot humidity level. You may have better results.

I tried doing the string method with peppers a few years ago but where they touched on the line with eachother, they turned brown and started to rot. I had read about how the old timers would do this to dry so wanted to try it out but I am probably not in the best climate to do this since I am near the coast and have a high hot humidity level. You may have better results.

That's how it's done out here in the desert. Try tying the string horizontal so the peppers don't touch??

I had them hanging in a sunny window tied to go across it but the line did sway downward with the weight of the peppers. I just never tried again but should have.

The string will absorb the moisture in the air not allowing that part to dry before it starts to rot. Try some coated wire instead. Use #12 solid electrical wire and maybe not as much on it so it does not sag?

i want to try leather britches as a way of preserving beans. has anyone ever done this and if so do you like this method? it would be a way to preserve without electricity.

timmie, I tried it seven or eight years ago but didn't like them very much.

They lost a lot of flavor and were tougher than ones dried in a dehydrator.

They were edible and if you worked on the cooking a bit, they may be good way to go with them. I'm just spoiled with my dehydrators.

For those stringing peppers.

I string and dry a lot of them, it works best with thin walled peppers and to speed up the drying you can cut a slit in them before you hang them up.

Attachments

• 00000peppers.JPG
    00000peppers.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back