Lemon Balm

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Lemon Balm aka Melissa Officinalis

A mint family plant from europe. In the US it is little more than a flavoring for tea, badly under used and so easy to grow. Places like WM and the big box stores have lemon balm plants in their garden departments every spring. I usually grow a couple plants on my porch for the flavoring.

In europe it has held a position of great importance for the past several centuries in home medicine cabinets. Most had a bottle of “Klosterfrau Melissengeist”, used as a basic nerve sedative.

In the words of Matthew Wood… It makes a strong but safe and simple sedative. The fresh tincture of Melissa should be on the shelf of every household.

It has found a use in some circles here in the US. When combined with the plant “Self Heal or Prunella vulgaris” it forces the varicella-zoster virus into dormancy. This is the virus that causes shingles. I don’t currently know the mixture or dosage but will shortly…

So, tonight I tinctured some fresh lemon balm. The first pic… lemon balm is against the brick wall behind my catnip which is blooming.

Lemon Balm (1).JPG
Lemon Balm (2).JPG
Lemon Balm (3).JPG

I used to grow this too. I loved picking it and rubbing it in my hands, including it in a bouquet of flowers, and putting it in iced herb tea. Yummy!
I had self-heal growing all over the yard too. I'd eat it for fun.

Latest posts

Back