Lest we forget...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabin Fever

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
1654523785130.png

I was never a WWll history buff. I am probably better at remembering things from the Civil War and the Old West, but these were true heroes, and nobody should ever forget their sacrifice, and what they did for the entire world.

I have been a WW2 history enthusiast since the mid 1950’s.
I love to read military history books, and of the over 200 in my library, easily 3/4 of them are about WW2.
In honor of D-Day, I am re-reading Stephen Ambrose’s D Day, Eisenhower’s Crusade in Europe, and David Eisenhower’s biography of his famous grandfather.

Because I love to study WW2, I have many like minded Facebook friends in France, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands.
The annual commemoration of D-Day is a huge deal over there, where they honor those they call “our liberators “.

I have been a WW2 history enthusiast since the mid 1950’s.
I love to read military history books, and of the over 200 in my library, easily 3/4 of them are about WW2.
In honor of D-Day, I am re-reading Stephen Ambrose’s D Day, Eisenhower’s Crusade in Europe, and David Eisenhower’s biography of his famous grandfather.

Because I love to study WW2, I have many like minded Facebook friends in France, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands.
The annual commemoration of D-Day is a huge deal over there, where they honor those they call “our liberators “.
One of these days I am going to read Stephen Ambrose's "Band of Brothers." In the meantime, we rewatch the DVD version of "Band of Brothers" starting every D-Day anniversary.

One of these days I am going to read Stephen Ambrose's "Band of Brothers." In the meantime, we rewatch the DVD version of "Band of Brothers" starting every D-Day anniversary.
I have most of his works, he was an excellent writer.
I have Band of Brothers, have not read it yet.

Thanks for the thread. I remembered D-Day, usually do because my sisters birthday is tomorrow. Although my father was not part of the invasion he passed through the area afterwards. Plenty of pictures of bombed buildings. He had flat feet so they didn't assign him to combat, he was an MP, drove buses and transported vehicles all over. One time he was driving a bus full of Nuns through the winding mountain roads and because he was driving fast the Nuns started singing because he was scaring them. He said the faster he drove the louder they sang. He always laughed telling that story.

I have most of his works, he was an excellent writer.
I have Band of Brothers, have not read it yet.
Today, I order a used copy of "Band of Brothers" from Thriftbooks.com I saw that there are audio versions of the book. Now I am thinking, if Stephen Ambrose narrated the book reading, I should go back and buy the audio version, too. He is such a good speaker! I have heard him speak (online or radio) many times. My wife is learning to sing "Requiem for a Soldier" (see below) for next years Memorial Day service. She is an excellent singer. Has sung at church, funerals, weddings, and football games. When in high school, she won many Texas State competition singing awards. Back then, she was offered a full scholarship to study voice in Europe. She never took them up on the offer. :(

Most war movies are Hollywood exaggerations, however The Longest Day stays true to the meticulously researched book of the same name.
The characters in the movie were accurate portrayals of real people and events.
The complete, three hour movie can be found on YouTube free with ads.

I watch it at least once per year, it's about time once again. And if you have a free account and are logged in and have to pause a movie (or gun video:)) it will pick up again right where you left off. Even a month or two later.

A great Stephen Ambrose volume is The Victors, Eisenhower and His Boys: The Men of World War Two.
I highly recommend it.

Stephen Ambrose has studied the history of WWII his whole career.

Even as a relatively young man/academic in the 1970s he was considered an authority......

Here is an interview he did for the BBC series "The World at War".

It is worth watching for a clearer, more objective, less revisionist assessment of history.

Remembering days like this and contemplating the guts and will those men must of had, and the horror they witnessed, I am humbled realizing that the sum of all that I do with this life was exceeded by those each of those men that day.

Latest posts

Back