Let’s talk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friendly like minded people are what we’re wanting. Sure do miss that. But want privacy too.
Have you looked just East of you in AZ? We researched for years all across the country and finally decided on N AZ. 4 season weather with a milder, dry summer and moderate winters with chilly nights (20s), but warm days50s-60s). A little snow but not much. Ultra conservative area, tons of fun stuff to do.....#1 gun state in the US. TAke a short drive and visit to find out......

@Double R the climate you're looking at is quite a bit warmer than mine but some things will carry over.

First is water for your critters. Make sure to freeze proof your water lines. South Missouri doesn't freeze like Iowa but I would still invest in freeze proofing, digging water lines a bit deeper than necessary, and making sure you have heat tapes on any exposed water lines.

Carhartt type clothing is great for work. I wear it for casual too in winter. There are several good brands, the main difference I've found is that the cheaper brands don't have as good of a zipper on them. Hint: don't wash Carhartt coats and bibs in hot water. For some reason it makes them fray and they will shrink like a sonofagun. I wear a lot of Dickies work clothes, I think they're almost as good as Carhartt but a lot cheaper and you can find them at Walmart.

You'll probably want insulated boots and heavy socks. Wool, acrylic, and polypropylene are all good materials for socks. As for insulated boots, just don't buy the crappy brands and you should be OK. I like Red Wings but they're pricey. Make absolutely sure they're waterproof! And you'll want good rain gear. It will save your butt when it's 37° and raining and the critters are outside the fence...

We moved from the Mojave desert to the wet side of Oregon. It is good you are already considering things. We didn't have a clue. We never needed dehumidifiers for the safe, home etc. We have 2 cargo containers we used for storage while we were building. We didn't put dehumidifiers in. Mostly because we were off grid. Some stuff got messed up like books, picture frames etc.

On clothing we got raincoats after our lightweight hiking coats got ruined. This is really the only coat we Wear. If it is cold we have a hoody or vest on under it. They are really durable. We haven't had a leak or tear yet after several years of farm use.
https://www.carhartt.com/product/J162/storm-defender-loose-fit-heavyweight-jacket
For boots these are great. They are made so you can fold them down half way and just step into them. Most of the time that is how we wear them. It is nice to have the full length when you need it. They are warm also since they are neoprene live a diving suit.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/the...81a6869fb88e107a04e6e747df3cbf98&gclsrc=3p.ds

Last edited:
@Double R Spikedriver knows about livestock in cold weather. But if you are going to southern MO it's not much different than me. Carhart gear is great stuff. Find out about the good hunting gear for your destination then dial it back a notch or two. There's a big difference in working livestock and sitting in a tree stand all day. You have to cut out the extra bulky clothes to be able to still work. Working generates body heat...

Rain gear, quality will out last the cheap stuff... Hurricanes rarely get to MO. but there are still tornadoes. But, I still keep some cheap rain gear on hand because there are times when it might get stained/ripped etc. If a cow goes down with a uterine prolapse birth you're going to get nasty. Especially if it's during a storm.

Water, plenty of it in MO but critters can't drink when the stock tanks freeze. Cow ponds are the answer, small - 50K - 100K gallons in size. I have 3 springs. One feeds a small pond, all 3 form a small creek. It does freeze but it's rare, once every 4 or 5 years. Just have to be ready when it does.

With livestock... what ever goes wrong is guaranteed to happen in the most inclement weather imaginable.

Pond 300 (7) a.jpg
z (50).jpg

Have you looked just East of you in AZ? We researched for years all across the country and finally decided on N AZ. 4 season weather with a milder, dry summer and moderate winters with chilly nights (20s), but warm days50s-60s). A little snow but not much. Ultra conservative area, tons of fun stuff to do.....#1 gun state in the US. TAke a short drive and visit to find out......

Thank you 😊 I did drive through a couple years ago. It’s lovely but not what we are looking for.

I was wondering if they hold up for actual use.

General outside work, absolutely. I have a pair of Carhartt bibs that I got 10 good years out of, they are worn badly now along the front of my thighs, but I still use them. I did buy a new pair about 8 years ago and they haven't begun to wear, although I don't work outside as much as I used to.

Out doing farm like chores you will get many moons out of them.

Well, I grew up in Michigan but it would probably be similar to Missouri. For starters they make winter clothes a bit better now than they did when I was a kid. Somehow we all survived with cotton long johns and blue jeans, even though those are claimed to be the death wrap by todays standards. Yes, after a day of playing outside out jeans pant legs would be frozen stiff but we survived.
A good waterproof jacket will not only keep you warm and dry it will block the wind, just don't ever wash it with soap or the water proofing will go away. If it ever needs to be washed just used cold water and no detergent. A decent pair of snow pants, or coveralls, will be more than enough to keep your legs warm and and dry even on the coldest days. But unless you are super sensitive to cold a sweatshirt and good jacket should be enough for most days of too and from activities. Cattle are capable of adjusting to the weather, baring extreme weather and artic blasts. I know you didn't mention chickens but from what we have learned is as long as they have a roost out of the wind and rain/snow they can survive most any storm, and even in the coldest of storms they still need a bit of ventilation to limit the moisture build up. Animals will survive as long as they have food.
Good luck.

This^^^^^ water and wind proof outer layer and whatever layers you personally require underneath. If outside working, the problem is how not to sweat once water and wind is taken care of.

Animals lived outside long before barns were invented to make them sick. Same as you, they need shelter from wind and wet when it's cold, and plenty of ventilation. A humid unventilated barn is bad news in cold weather.

I can grow greens year around, so I will put up with " East coast humidity" & stay away from the 20 inches of snow for
60 to 149 days. But by all means, you guys have fun & rib me June though September.
I can take it better than -10 & snow/ice for six months.
It was 70F the first week of 2022, a cool 70F, but still. We have a a hand full of freeze here this Winter.

When you get older and decide you are DONE with the cold, we got plenty of room down here! :thumbs:
Being cold sux!:mad:
Yes, you do get accustomed to the humidity and heat in the summer.
Rich fertile soil everywhere with no rocks and abundant rain.
We have 2 seasons: t-shirt, or jacket.
Friendly, like-minded people are everywhere.
What more could you ask for?:)
You forgot hurricane and tornado seasons....

Sorry, I don't remember where you're at. How cold does it get? What is the relative humidity in winter? What are the winds like? In -20℉ with low humidity and no wind I'd wear gloves, a ball cap, street shoes, and a short sleeve tee shirt. In the same weather running around on my snow machine, insulated Sorel boots, down pants, down jacket, heavy gloves, beaver hat, goggles, and a neoprene mask.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, your nuts!! 🤪

You forgot hurricane and tornado seasons....
...So we have a few days of bad weather each year :rolleyes:.
The occasional flood is more of a problem;).
But if you're a prepper, no big deal.:thumbs:

I just want to say how much I appreciate you all and the willingness to help and take the time to give such helpful information and good laughs 😉. I know that I won’t be able to have everything perfect but when it comes to my animals it’s top priority for me to be as prepared as possible. I don’t want to all of a sudden find a place and not have a plan in order for simple things like water! Maybe it’s not a rush to move maybe it will be. We don’t know as of yet. We don’t really have to worry about breaking ice or packing hot water here. However the places were looking at have ponds. Ok now I know the cattle can maintain on the ponds in the winter (exclusions apply I’m sure) but the smaller livestock I need to keep frozen waters in mind. The rabbits for sure. Things like that I don’t have experience in and need to be thought out before hand.
As far as clothes I have snow clothes for the few times for hunting. However I’ve lost a ton of weight so they need to be replaced before we move to a frozen area. But what works for hunting isn’t always practical for day to day life.
I know I’m rambling I just want you all to know how much it’s appreciated. It would be great to spread out expenses as well in all this. Ok. I’m going to stop typing now. Just want you all to know how much I appreciate you. 🤗

Have you looked just East of you in AZ?

..That's what we've shifted to target (have just about all-but given up on our 'NorCal BOL dream'.. :rolleyes: Might still keep the land 'as Investment' (for the - invariable - Zommie Hordes that will rush North (and likely be willing to pay $$$$$ for even a small chunk like ours) when things finally break down out here, but.. OTOH, if'n we get 'squatters' / cookers, etc up on it, well.. That's really hard to deal with, especially Remotely.. )

Dunno, but.. like RR - 2022 has Got to be the 'match strike', no if's and's or bidens.. :p Or newscums, either.. *Ptui!*

jd

When I went to Repro school Mississippi I wore carhartt and it was nice. Long johns under and insulated coveralls. I was wondering if they hold up for actual use. Thanks 🤗
Like a leather work glove! <3!!

For critters like chickens, ducks, geese etc, if the coop has electricity or if you can run an extention cord, heated dog bowls work well for winter water. If no electricity, the black flexible rubber feed pans work. Fill with warm water (don't scald their chicken lips). It will keep them watered enough for the day. If they freeze up, just tip them upside down and stomp on them to get the ice out.

If you have a pond it's a god send for cows, but you might want to keep them out of it. They can really foul the water. If it's frozen enough for them to stand on, they will do so and crap all over the ice. Again, not so good for the water when the ice melts.

I kept a sledge hammer near all my water troughs. They were a dime a dozen at farm auctions. If you do need to fish ice out of a trough after you have broken it up, the heavy duty industrial/chemical rubber gloves are great and fairly cheap.They have long sleeves, soft fuzzy interiors and are quite warm in freezing water.

For the wind & water proof outer clothes, most farm stores like tractor supply have jacket and pant sets. Do not buy rubber or plastic.

They will be quite thin, just a shell. Buy them really loose for winter wear so they will fit over layers. Layer loosely, tight clothes are not your friend. Same goes for boots. Muck boots come in spring/fall and winter weights, put felt insoles in the bottom. They are expensive but will keep your tootsies warm and dry.

I am giving real cold weather advice, sounds insulting, but cold has a different meaning to me than what you might actually end up experiencing. I am still dealing with -30F to -40F. It's currently
-34.5F but it's a dry cold. If you aren't used to it 14F will be pretty cold. Humidity will make it worse.

If you are moving animals such as cows and horses, they would be better off moved in the spring if you are moving from warm to cold. Horses can be blanketed, but cows no. They will adjust to the new conditions for next winter. The shorter day light hours routine in the fall and the accompanying temperatures will trigger them to grow the needed winter coat for next year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back