Let's talk fishing.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago, I made a radical change in my approach to fishing. After spending good money on tackle, then not catching anything worth keeping, I drastically modified my approach which now lets me enjoy the experience of being outdoors in the fishing environment without the disappointments of not catching anything and having to spend all that money on rods, reels, and tackle boxes.

Now, I have reduced my tackle to just one minnow bucket. I go to the bait shop and buy a bucket full of minnows. I drive to my favorite fishing spot and set up a lawn chair, with a cold drink alongside. About every 5 minutes I throw a handful of minnows in the water and watch the big fish feed. This lets me enjoy the outdoors experience and the fish get the same amount of minnows as they did when I was putting them on hooks.

I use the money I used to spend on tackle to buy nice fish fillets at the market. All is well that ends well.

Many years ago, I made a radical change in my approach to fishing. After spending good money on tackle, then not catching anything worth keeping, I drastically modified my approach which now lets me enjoy the experience of being outdoors in the fishing environment without the disappointments of not catching anything and having to spend all that money on rods, reels, and tackle boxes.

Now, I have reduced my tackle to just one minnow bucket. I go to the bait shop and buy a bucket full of minnows. I drive to my favorite fishing spot and set up a lawn chair, with a cold drink alongside. About every 5 minutes I throw a handful of minnows in the water and watch the big fish feed. This lets me enjoy the outdoors experience and the fish get the same amount of minnows as they did when I was putting them on hooks.

I use the money I used to spend on tackle to buy nice fish fillets at the market. All is well that ends well.
It's a lot cheaper in the long run for sure. I just love to fish! I don't have a boat. I don't have a special rod&reel for each lure. My tackle box doesn't double for round the world cruise ship traveling luggage. But I love fishing! Lol

Fishing is my excuse to get up in the blue ridge with a hammock for a few days. That, the gym and the hunting lease keeps me sane year round :)

Well, sane by my standards at any rate.

Good luck! The “Spook” has been catching bass since it was first developed and sold by Heddon in 1939!
I must be a bad fisherman. I've never been able to catch a thing on a Spook, but I've hammered bass on Pop-Rs, Crazy Crawlers, and Bass Orenos on the same water that skunked the Spook.

My all time favorite is the Blakemore Road Runner though.

I must be a bad fisherman. I've never been able to catch a thing on a Spook, but I've hammered bass on Pop-Rs, Crazy Crawlers, and Bass Orenos on the same water that skunked the Spook.

My all time favorite is the Blakemore Road Runner though.
I've never had much luck catching bass with any lure,only a few,I normally use minnows.

Fishing 9-1.jpg

Great Fall day on a private pond in northern Kansas.

1st of March "Keep em" trout season opens in Missouri. Will take the RV down to the Nianga River for about a week. Dont really like trout that much but if the weather is nice will drown some bait. Quit fly fishing lot of years ago now use ultra-lite and artificial bait. they bite real good on those multi colored cheezy/marshmellow thingies. Limit is 4 a day. Where I go is a major trout hatachery. they stock about 20,000 rainbows and browns right where I camp.

I bought 3 Shakespeare rods off a guy today for $15 for all three.
I thought is was a great deal. I am always needing extra rods at the lake house for friends and family.

I just ordered a dozen more 5-7" large mouth and a dozen more 5-7" striped bass for my pond,they should be delivered sometime in April.

Changing the tackle on my favorite 3 rods from Trout to Crappie. After the rifle match on the 17th will head to the river behind Lake Pomme De Terre, mo. with the RV for a week. They turn the water and elect. on the 15th. with my discount its $5 a night till the 14th of april, then goes up to $11. Not bad for a level site with water and elect, and pretty good fishing. Until April its first come gets the spot.

I caught this 12 lb 32" long grass carp out of our pond today on a green night crawler. I hooked into something else big later that I think was another 1 but I never got it up to see it so I'm not sure,it was either a carp or a channel.

u4AnIA2.jpg

Thanks Dutch.
I also picked up this bow for $25. I'm going to put a reel on it and bow fish for some more of the carp. I'm wanting to put some plants in the pond so the fish will have some cover and I'm afraid the grass carp will eat them. I might leave a couple in there not sure but there should still be 5 in there.

dCXVgLC.jpg

Thanks Dutch.
I also picked up this bow for $25. I'm going to put a reel on it and bow fish for some more of the carp. I'm wanting to put some plants in the pond so the fish will have some cover and I'm afraid the grass carp will eat them. I might leave a couple in there not sure but there should still be 5 in there.

dCXVgLC.jpg
Use some dynamite, SH! Easiest fishing you'll ever do!

Well I got the bow fishing kit yesterday,it came with the line,spool and arrow. It says on the package "ready to shoot",the only problem is the arrow didn't have a nock on it,how are you suppose to shoot it without a nock,that would be extremely difficult wouldn't it? :confused; Portland doesn't have much in sporting good stores,1 private shop that sells fishing,trapping and hunting stuff,but mainly used guns and poles and ammo and fishing supplies but nothing in archery other than the bow and it was used. We also have a gun shop but nothing for archery other than crossbow. We do have a Walmart and even though they sell all sorts of archery equipment,no nocks. I was about to give up but figured I'd see if True Value had anything,I know they have ammo and sometimes sell fishing and trapping supplies but again no. I asked 1 of the guys working there if there was any archery shops close buy since I thought and he thought too,that all the ones around here had closed up shop. The nearest 1 he could think of was like an hour away and that wouldn't work,it cost more in gas than ordering them online. He said that the guy that once ran Boundary Archery might still have 1 laying around so I called him. Ends up he's still in business just is only open from 4-8 PM and works a regular job during the day. His shop is just part time and has always been in business since he started back in the 70s. I asked him about it and he just said there wasn't any reason to close. It cost me a whopping $1.00,and he even put it on the arrow :lil guy: ,can't beat that.

Doin' my part. :D

C gone fishin.jpg

Picture no worky.

Looks OK to me there Curm!

Two guys with fish or din din for one in their hands!

Looks like the kid has a bigger fish, LOL!

Latest posts

Back