Levels of Preparedness (take 2?)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that the most prepared people will be missing something.

No doubt about it. The best prepared people will find themselves stepping back in time to the 1800's or early to mid 1900's. Things that are easily treatable now will be fatal. Conditions that are easily survivable now, will no longer be. Which is why prepping also means being a student of history. When I talk about having surgical capabilities I am not talking about a cardiac bypass, I am talking about amputating a leg or removing a bullet for an abdomen.

How can one prepare for that? Have a midwife in your group? A doctor or nurse would be very helpful, but there are women who die today from childbirth. It is not as common as "the old days" (whenever that was), but it does still happen.

By having better nutrition, vitamins and sanitation. Knowing that the woman can't do much hard physical labour. It won't help everything but a healthy mother and baby is a good start.

An active healthy mother is key to an easier birth. Prenatal care, including extra vitamins, will help the newborn to survive. Adverse birth conditions add risk and it might be helpful to learn how to turn a breach birth child.
Even a vet can be helpful in adverse conditions.

Having EMT skills will deal with the childbirth issue. It won't cover the worst case scenario but it will cover most cases. I used to teach EMT and we weren't teaching to use any special kit we were teaching to make due with what you had. This will be a 100 to 120 hour class and will leave you with tons of emergency skills.

I'd say we're around 1.5 on things that apply to us. Many of the line items assume a major collapse, which we're not prepping for. We may get there on accident one day, but it's not our goal. That pretty much means we have no intention of getting sheep and learning to make my own clothes from its wool. My threat model has natural disasters at #1; Short-term financial emergency #2; Long-term financial emergency #3; Old-age/retirement is #4.

My preps all help me camp out in my home and/or not need to spend money for an extended period of time.

Childbirth and common illnesses, colds, flu, etc was always a big killer. Cemetaries around the mountains here are filled with ladies, children, and newborns. Easy injuries to treat now could be killers as well.
I was in the mountains in Colorado several years ago, in a cemetery. I noticed many graves of young women and infants. I then went home and read that it is more difficult for a woman to carry a baby to full term in the mountains, than at a lower altitude. The oxygen is lower at higher altitudes and can be a challenge for people with other health issues.

We are less than a week from the New Year, 2022. I don't do resolutions, I set goals. I decided I wanted to visit this thread to see what goals to set. New year, new goals.

I still need a generator, and a few other things, but the generator is at the top of my list. I'm also going to keep adding freeze dried and dehydrated food to my preps. I need to work on making a new list for that.

We are less than a week from the New Year, 2022. I don't do resolutions, I set goals. I decided I wanted to visit this thread to see what goals to set. New year, new goals.

I still need a generator, and a few other things, but the generator is at the top of my list. I'm also going to keep adding freeze dried and dehydrated food to my preps. I need to work on making a new list for that.
OK, it seems like you established some resolutions and they don't seem unrealistic. That's good!

Everybody needs a generator.
When people holler: "but generators make noise and will tip off raiders that your house has supplies gaah", I say BS!
If our generator is running, there will be one running at every house in our neighborhood. BFD.:rolleyes:
Rotating gasoline once a year is easier than you think.
And there is a good reason everyone has heard that old saying: "Don't get left out in the dark".:(
Ask @phideaux about after the tornados, food was everywhere; generators - worth their weight in gold!

Last edited:
4, on this particular scale.

Will never reach 5 as I have different goals.

How can one prepare for that? Have a midwife in your group? A doctor or nurse would be very helpful, but there are women who die today from childbirth. It is not as common as "the old days" (whenever that was), but it does still happen.

The really sad thing is, its become MORE common again for mothers to die in childbirth....and the US is already ranked pretty low already among first world countries.

But yes, best prep is midwife in the group, and experience with homebirth. I have both. Having our baby in the kitchen was really a pretty high point in my life and a real 'put your money where your mouth is' moment.

Great thread, Lady Weedy.. :cool: Proud / aggrieved to say that we're (mostly) at a Solid 'Level 4' - but - because we're Not Yet In our 'BOL' - it could All be a '0' (save for a small 'e-Cache' up North..) in short order, from various threat-vectors where we're currently living, sending it all sideways.. :rolleyes:

..So frustrating to 'See the promise of the Promised Land' - but not, yet, be Able to Be There... Guess now I know how Moses must've felt.. :rolleyes:

We've even tried to form 'alliances' / join a 'MAG', but.. There just always seems to be Some 'leak in the tires' on that endeavor / leap-frog (as-to the 'Force Multiplication' aspect.. That's our second-worst 'weak spot', (Group-size) until We (our Core-Fam Group..) can all Be at our (or A..) BOL / in a MAG.. *sigh*

Speaking of..
..Level 5: Can Survive Indefinitely from Home during an multi-year SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation

Gosh, I sure miss ol 'Bunkerbuster' (some of you 'SB expats' will remember him.. He / Fam were up in the PNW, Washington-somewhere, spent many years in Alaska, as well, and Man - was That Gent an Inspiration to us All.. Absolutely 'Level 5++'.. :cool:

jd

We are at a solid level 4 but need to boost "community of like minds" aspect. We are so spread out here. Most farms are 4000+ acres and when the gasoline/diesel goes, well that will be too far without horses.
We have 18Kw solar so net zero. Need to work on:
Orchard producing better
Canning more veggies (I like frozen or dehydrated but those need mechanicals that will eventually break down)
DH must cut more wood. 50 acres so no real excuse but he just never gets to it. Can afford to hire out to get what we have in logs cut and we can stack.

...DH must cut more wood. 50 acres so no real excuse but he just never gets to it. ..

Let us know when yer 'taking Applications'... Have a Pair of Fine axen..

Hachas-Artesanas.jpg
(+ others..) both 'Silky', and Stihl saws, Lots of Good ol' Fashioned Muscle and Plenty of Angst, to boot, Will travel.. ;)

jd

We would also be in the 3-4 category. Solidly in 3 and we can check half the boxes in 4. We fall short on growing our own food, and it is highly unlikely we would ever have our own animals. Plan A is to bug in. This is where we are safest. This is where we have our supplies. There could be circumstances where we would leave temporarily, but not long term. I think I am taking a little different approach toward long term prepping.

I am basing my needs on 20 years. If I last another 20 years I will have significantly outlived both of my parents. I am not looking for a BOL. I am not looking to go anywhere. My home will be my Alamo. I don't have 20 years worth of food, but I am working on it. I have twenty years worth of clothing. I have twenty years worth of shoes. I feel quite comfortable with our water supply, which is ample. We live in an area that gets significant rainfall if we had to rely on that. My tools are good, and should last for my lifetime. My house should last at least for my lifetime; fire, flood; and earthquakes not withstanding.

Will I ever get to Level 5? Not by this definition, but I am quite comfortable with where I am.

I can't imagine what 20 yrs of stored food would look like, especially with our family size

Since there are only three of us it isn't nearly as daunting a task.

We're in a similar boat as Morgan - solid 3 with several aspects of 4 checked off. We have multiple water purification systems and a freshwater spring in the back yard. Deer, squirrel, turkey and other critters are abundant (but may not be after a few weeks into a SHTF situation).

20 years of food, to me, refers to a lot of animals that haven't been born and veggies that haven't been grown, yet. Seriously, how can you maintain nutritional value for that long?

Seriously, how can you maintain nutritional value for that long?

You don't have to buy it or acquire it all in one day. We have long term stock like beans and rice; freeze dried and dehydrated foods. Vitamins and supplements usually have a three to five year shelf life. We rotate other stock as needed. I always try to replace whatever we use.

We do have a significant amount of wildlife in the area, but I don't even factor that in as part of the equation. First, I don't know what would be left if circumstances got that dire. Second, I don't know if the wildlife would still be where it is so readily available now. In some areas close to me geese are considered a nuisance. You don't even need a gun. You could go out with a baseball bat. I have dove and squirrels at my bird feeders every day. Will all of those critters be around when SHTF? Maybe, but I would consider that a supplement; not a primary source. We also have a few places where fishing is within walking distance, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Last edited:
I evidently missed this thread when it was first posted. According to this, we would be on a slide between 3 and 5. The 24 hr. property security is an issue and at the moment since we are currently renting, we don't have our own land & no wood stove. We do have wood and could build a "campfire", do still have a river, and multiple other things on the list. It's in progress which is a little unnerving, but it's where we are. We are not stagnant here and have some things "in view."
@Amish Heart you hadn't even moved yet when this thread was started. That must be kinda fun to read - where you were.

You don't have to buy it or acquire it all in one day. We have long term stock like beans and rice; freeze dried and dehydrated foods. Vitamins and supplements usually have a three to five year shelf life. We rotate other stock as needed. I always try to replace whatever we use.
We have a lot of LTS food, but it's good for maybe 10 years before the nutritional value starts to wane. Some is only 7 years, and some is 3 years. I've never heard of any food storage good for 20 years.

If I could buy 20 years of food in one shot that would retain its nutritional value, I probably would.

We do have a significant amount of wildlife in the area, but I don't even factor that in as part of the equation. First, I don't know what would be left if circumstances got that dire. Second, I don't know if the wildlife would still be where it is so readily available now. In some areas close to me geese are considered a nuisance. You don't even need a gun. You could go out with a baseball bat. I have dove and squirrels at my bird feeders every day. Will all of those critters be around when SHTF? Maybe, but I would consider that a supplement; not a primary source. We also have a few places where fishing is within walking distance, but I wouldn't rely on it.
Around here, I suspect there would be a dip in the wildlife population, but there would be a bigger dip in the human population at which point the wildlife would bounce back. It's a supplement, as you say.

Back