Lighters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every fire kit I make I include a lighter; sometimes a mini; sometimes regular size depending on the kit. I have several Zippo lighters. One I carry with me all the time. I also have several butane lighters, which friends affectionately call "The Torch". These are usually used when we know we will be outside, and plan to smoke cigars.

My experience is that Bic lighters seem to be the best to keep stored for long periods of time. I will periodically check all my bags and fire kits. The Bic lighters always work. I have some Scripto lighters, but they are suspect. About 50% of them fail, even though you can see they still have fluid. My recommendation would be Bic, and I would not use the other brands. Do any of you include lighters in your fire kits?

Yep same thing happened to me. Those Scripto lighters suck! Had a pack and only one lite up. Bic are the best.

Yep same thing happened to me. Those Scripto lighters suck! Had a pack and only one lite up. Bic are the best.
My waterproof Bic lighters:
IMG_2278_c_e.JPG

I've beeen homoginizing my cig.s. I only take a few drags off them then put them out so my ash tray is full of almost whole cigs. I haaven't smoked a whole cig since I was 15.
So I tear them open and save tobacco for to use with the tubes we have from when we rolled our own. Funny in the club when somebody ask fro a cig and we handed them a baggy with tobacco and papers. Unappreciated though.:huh:..
Hubb thinks its foolish I siad good don't ask me for one when those talor mades are all gone. 😏

My waterproof Bic lighters:
View attachment 38395

There you go. You switch one of the lighters for some wood matches a striker and a couple of birthday candles. Stuff a cotton ball in the top for a Firestarter, and seal the lid with Gorilla tape. Water proof and it floats.

Back