Listen up Gentlemen and Ladies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVDragonlady

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Been meaning to post this just forgot. This is a nudge to everyone to NOT forgo your colonoscopy.
Hubby had his back in december. The doctor at the time told him everything looked good and he removed 3 small polyps
Fast forward to the visit with our GP here last week. She tells him that the polyps were benign but were the type that turn into cancer.
So hubby missed a bullet and we're very grateful.
GET YOUR COLONOSCOPY!

Yes the pre-op is a pain in the rear-end but its worth it. really.

I had one scheduled at the end of the the year. They called and reminded me I needed a Covid test. I told them to call me back when I don't need a test. I just ain't gonna comply.
I'm very glad that hubby had better sense than that. I don't want to think about how it could've turned out if he did. No telling how long he would've waited and then we'd be looking at something different

We will see how things are in another month or two. I suspect Covid will go away now that Biden is going to fix everything and there is no more money to be made off the current vaccine. I am not likely to forget my mom died of colon cancer so I don't intend to blow it off completely.

Been meaning to post this just forgot. This is a nudge to everyone to NOT forgo your colonoscopy.
Hubby had his back in december. The doctor at the time told him everything looked good and he removed 3 small polyps
Fast forward to the visit with our GP here last week. She tells him that the polyps were benign but were the type that turn into cancer.
GET YOUR COLONOSCOPY!

I'd sure want to know why my proctologist withheld information.

I refused to have a colonoscopy for many years.
Then I had a perforated colon In 2011. Almost died in ER. Worst pain ever . 3 weeks in hospital.

Found out if I had colonoscopy I could have avoided almost dying and having 2 feet of my colon removed.

Since then I've had 2 colonoscopys.

Diverticulitis can be a killer also.

Jim

I waited until I was 67 for my first colonoscopy. I checked with my insurance, the hospital rep, and my doctor and was assured it was completely covered. So I had it done - the worst part was going into hypothermia drinking the colon flush. I had to drink a gallon of this stuff cold in an hour. The rest went without a hitch. The doctor said he found two very small polyps (I couldn't pick them out on the photos) but it was nothing to worry about. Two weeks later I got a bill from the doctor, the hospital, the anesthesiologist, and a radiologist. My insurance company told me that because polyps were removed the procedure was not covered as a routine lab so they didn't cover it because my surgical copay was not yet met.
I fought it but I was less than successful. I did get a "break" from my insurance company and the total cost was only $2000.

I'd sure want to know why my proctologist withheld information.
Yea hubby was not a happy fella when he got home. I don't know if he'll use the guy again when its time ( 5 years). He says he plans on telling him so when he sees him the hallways of the hospital ( hubby works there)

I waited until I was 67 for my first colonoscopy. I checked with my insurance, the hospital rep, and my doctor and was assured it was completely covered. So I had it done - the worst part was going into hypothermia drinking the colon flush. I had to drink a gallon of this stuff cold in an hour. The rest went without a hitch. The doctor said he found two very small polyps (I couldn't pick them out on the photos) but it was nothing to worry about. Two weeks later I got a bill from the doctor, the hospital, the anesthesiologist, and a radiologist. My insurance company told me that because polyps were removed the procedure was not covered as a routine lab so they didn't cover it because my surgical copay was not yet met.
I fought it but I was less than successful. I did get a "break" from my insurance company and the total cost was only $2000.

See why I spend so much for supplemental, never had one bill or co pay since I got this insurance 6 yr.s ago.Don't like surprises.

. She tells him that the polyps were benign but were the type that turn into cancer.
GET YOUR COLONOSCOPY!

I had 2 brothers that died from colon-cancer at age 65.
I had my first 'polyp-pruning' done before either one died. They clipped out 5, one of which was 14mm.
(for reference, most sparkplugs are 14mm).
I preached, but to no avail.
After we buried the second one, I mounted a peer-pressure assault on my remaining 2 brothers.
Both of them eventually got it done. We are still alive today.
The 5 year extension I got from my second one (which I will gladly post pictures of) has run out.
I'm due for my third.
I asked the Dr. that did my second one if it was just a 'sightseeing' expedition. His reply:
"No. You are the person we are looking for."
Then he gave me copies of the pics he took with the 'scope' of the polyps before he pruned them.
This is something I feel very strongly about.
People die from this every day, and it is 100% preventable.
I miss my brothers
crying.gif

I've had polyps removed every time. They never gave me any pictures but I watch the procedure on the same TV the doc watches it on. I never let them put me under. It's more interesting than anything on my TV at home.

For those of you unfamiliar with the procedure, because you haven't had it or because you let them knock you out, they take a PanaVision camera, a fire hose, a ShopVac, pruning shears, an air hose and DuckTape it together. Well, you know, or can imagine the rest.

I've had polyps removed every time. They never gave me any pictures but I watch the procedure on the same TV the doc watches it on. I never let them put me under. It's more interesting than anything on my TV at home.

For those of you unfamiliar with the procedure, because you haven't had it or because you let them knock you out, they take a PanaVision camera, a fire hose, a ShopVac, pruning shears, an air hose and DuckTape it together. Well, you know, or can imagine the rest.
Now, now, don't go frightening everybody!
If you ever wondered what Rohypnol (aka: the date-rape drug) was actually for, this is it.
They don't put you completely to sleep, something called "twilight sleep", and you don't remember anything :thumbs:. (wish my dentist could do that!).
I'm glad they do that, because I looked up what "snare-cautery" means.
The good thing is, knowing that the 'pre-cancerous' polyps only made a quiet thump as they were flicked into a garbage can, instead of sitting, ticking inside of me, like deadly grenades.
:blow up:

Last edited:
..The 5 year extension I got from my second one (which I will gladly post pictures of) has run out.
I'm due for my third.
Aw c'mon now! Nobody wants to see what stuff that kills people like me looks like?
I'll even pimp the Cologuard test for people that are too scared.
It's actually just a simple DNA test to see if you are "our kind" that has the ability to grow polyps.

Back in the old days, they only had something called a 'hemoccult test'.
This looks for traces of blood in your stool sample.
The problem is, by the time one of your polyps is shedding blood, it has already "detonated".
Colon cancer spreads FAST!
The colon goes over your liver and under your lungs.
By the time you have traces of blood in your stool, you likely have liver cancer and lung cancer too.
Hospice time.
The hemoccult test was only good to let people know that they needed to pick out a burial plot, or that they maybe had a small chance of surviving, spending the rest of their life wearing a colostomy bag.

Times have changed. They put an IV in your arm, tell you that your vision will get blurry, wave bye-bye, and you wake up in the recovery room.
No poking or probing that you know of. :thumbs:

Last edited:
I was in the middle of my procedure when it struck me, "This is probably not a good time to be discussing politics with a democrat." It is really not that bad a procedure. Before my first one I found out that in Europe they rarely put you out for it. There is some slight discomfort but I have had procedures that require sedation and the hangover is worse that the procedure.

I remember laying there watching the catheter making its way up into the main coronary artery , just kept saying wow, wow, wow.
Until they plugged the artery long enough to balloon the stents in place.
I said whoa , whoa ..that was fun.
Then it was over , and I had a 10 lb weight on that insertion spot and couldn't move for 8 hrs.

I don't think they do that these days, that was 20 years ago.

Jim

Today's tip: Polyps that are no longer in your colon will never turn cancerous and kill you. :thumbs:

I won't say I'm going to "bump" this thread.
Too many people here know what that term means when it comes to cattle:oops:.

I got a service call from the colonoscopy center. When I went into the room the guy laying on the table said Hi. I told the doctor I would come back when he was finished and he said take a quick look at the system and see if there is something you can do. I said I can't do anything while he had a camera up the guy's butt and left. Something a guy just does not need to see.

I got a service call from the colonoscopy center. When I went into the room the guy laying on the table said Hi. I told the doctor I would come back when he was finished and he said take a quick look at the system and see if there is something you can do. I said I can't do anything while he had a camera up the guy's butt and left. Something a guy just does not need to see.
I'll show you mine, and you don't have to show me yours :p .
(for moderators, no butt pictures will be shown.)
Only what ticking time-bombs inside of people actually look like before they explode and kill them.
Didn't get a pic of the 14mm from the first run, but did get a good pic from the second one 5 years later of a 'fungating sessile' polyp that was removed. The other 4 they froze with liquid C02 to kill them.
Find June on this year's calender.
That's the month I would die.....without them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back