little gas stove

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was at a gun show. awhile back and found this little USGI gas stove. cleaned it all up and got it working, finicky little bugger though.

u0lcSxSl.jpg

fOxiMOyl.jpg

Jb8G7Wil.jpg

lid for my cup, made from copper

JcK6Vb7l.jpg

Two is one and one is none. You have a great collection of stoves. I wish I had more. I have the classic camping stove and a butane stove. I also have a Coleman oven that sits on top of a stove. The single sized stoves are easier to take when hiking and moving around.

Ever made an alcohol stove from two beverage cans? I have and was disappointed in how they worked. It might have been me. Someone else might have had great success in getting it to work.

I made this alcohol stove from a aluminum monster bottle. It is cut off and the neck is placed into the bottom and a row of holes are drilled around the rim, maybe down about a half of a inch. It works ok

YpEsf7ql.jpg

Two is one and one is none. You have a great collection of stoves. I wish I had more. I have the classic camping stove and a butane stove. I also have a Coleman oven that sits on top of a stove. The single sized stoves are easier to take when hiking and moving around.

Ever made an alcohol stove from two beverage cans? I have and was disappointed in how they worked. It might have been me. Someone else might have had great success in getting it to work.
I did an alcohol stove from 2 Foster beer cans. It worked, but I have better. On the bright side, I got to empty 2 cans of Fosters :)

I used to camp a lot, so there are 3 or 4 different stoves around, from lightweight white gas, to 2 burner propane.

For backpacking, my favorite is a little MSR 'whisperlight" (they got a lot fancier than 40 years ago)
1602824619157.png

I did an alcohol stove from 2 Foster beer cans. It worked, but I have better. On the bright side, I got to empty 2 cans of Fosters :)

I used to camp a lot, so there are 3 or 4 different stoves around, from lightweight white gas, to 2 burner propane.

For backpacking, my favorite is a little MSR 'whisperlight" (they got a lot fancier than 40 years ago) View attachment 51868
Thank you. I have wanted something like this for a long time, but have never figured out what would be best.

For backpacking, my favorite is a little MSR 'whisperlight" (they got a lot fancier than 40 years ago) View attachment 51868
I still have a whisperlight in my backpack.

Ben

I have an earlier version of this Coleman. Mine has a bigger tank, and is white gas only. But other than that it appears near identical to this one:

Coleman.png

This stove works quite well. Very adjustable. It's not a lightweight though.

I miss my old Svea 123 from my early backpacking days. I remember cold mornings, cradling the stove in my hands trying to warm it so it would spit a little fuel out into the priming cup so you could light the stove on fire to warm the fuel tank and pressurize it. I never considered playing with fuel and fire like that to be the ultimate in safety out in the wilderness, but I did it, the stove worked, and I never got burned.

These days, I use a Trangia alcohol burner. Trangia Spirit Burner Factory New

Or a Folding Firebox Stove (wood burning). G2 Firebox Stove (Made in USA)

The Trangia can go inside the folding firebox to use it as a windshield as well. It's a neat setup.

I used the white gas only Peak one stove backpacking for many years. Finally sold it and got a MSR Whisperlight like the one Dademoss posted. Good little stove, very light weight even with the fuel bottle. 2 downsides for me, it was kind of tippy due to being so light. And a bigger issue, to get it hot enough to bring water to a boil, you had to get the pressure way up. But the flame adjuster was mostly wide open or off. Had to let the pressure bleed off as you consumed fuel to get it to simmer. Wasting fuel isn't ideal on long trips.
Now I have another Peak one white gas stove, and have gotten a 533 like the one above as a spare. While this stove is heavier, it is much more stable. Also you can pump it up as far as you want, boil a quart of water in under 4 minutes, then turn it way down to barely a simmer just by moving the little red handle. And it will hold enough fuel for 2-3 days for us. With a pint bottle extra 10 days isn't out of the question.

I was at a gun show. awhile back and found this little USGI gas stove. cleaned it all up and got it working, finicky little bugger though.

u0lcSxSl.jpg

fOxiMOyl.jpg

Jb8G7Wil.jpg

lid for my cup, made from copper

JcK6Vb7l.jpg
I have a stove just like yours. It will run on any flammable liquid. Used it a lot backpacking across the Olympics and in the wilderness areas in the cascades. They are great little stoves.

Back