• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

Local grocery - wiped out

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Daughter in Ga. just bought 1/4 cow yesterday from old man who has been raaising,processing his cows for decades in North Georgia.
She got 68 pounds of organic beef for whatever she said I couldn't hear over the circus going on in background.
But maybe find a local who raises and processes their cattle?
I recently purchased a 1/2 hog and ordered a 1/2 a cow which will arrive in early August. I am just a carnivore and can never have enough meat in the house!

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Daughter in Ga. just bought 1/4 cow yesterday from old man who has been raaising,processing his cows for decades in North Georgia.
She got 68 pounds of organic beef for whatever she said I couldn't hear over the circus going on in background.
Do you know how much she paid for it? I'm just wondering what prices are in other places. What about you Sentry? Don't feel obligated to share. I'm just wondering......

I did my big shopping trip today. I was gone about 6 hours and spent some $$$. I'm wiped out, but I'm stocked back up to the gills again. I don't think I could fit much more in the freezers. Although, a good portion of that money was spent on chainsaws (on sale) and yard/plants/tools/outdoor stuff. Between the hardware store and TS, my car was pretty full. Then it was off to WM for mostly non-food items and the grocery stores. I was finally able to get back to Aldi, which is by far my favorite grocery store to shop. They had everything I wanted, although I noticed their fresh meat (beef, pork & chicken) section was almost bare. I stocked up on frozen shrimp and chicken though, which was what I was after. I didn't notice any large increases in prices at all. Their TP and paper towel isles were stocked pretty full. Actually there was TP in all the stores I went to. I didn't really notice any outages at WM and even got some hot food and turkey from the deli. Overall, I was actually surprised to find some pretty good deals too! Yeah:)

I couldn't help myself.....I had to buy a new flag and stainless steal pole to put on the house or down by the mailbox (haven't decided exactly where yet). I've wanted one for a long time and just haven't done it. It's time! I even paid full retail price for it. o_O And yes, it was made in USA.....in fact, I got two.....I'm hanging one in the barn too. I've already got a couple of them in the house. ;)

I was thinking everyone would be wearing masks today. Nope. Nobody was making eye contact, except some of those who weren't wearing masks. Everyone is social distancing, which is something I typically do in stores anyways, so no big deal. I kinda got the feeling that those not wearing masks (myself included) had the 'go ahead and say something to me' look on their faces. LOL! I'm sure we were all armed with what our replies would be if someone were to say something. Nobody said squat. In fact, I'd say probably half weren't wearing masks. In Aldi, probably only about a quarter weren't wearing masks. The stores weren't very crowded which I was happy about. My shopping experience today was actually pretty darn good. I'm glad I went. Although, I needed an oil change and none of those places were open.:(

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't know what she is getting, but a market ready beef weighs in at around 1000 lbs. I know there is the hide, innards, and more that do not go into the meat a person gets, but I would think she should be getting at least double if not triple that much beef. Maybe 168 pounds?

I have no idea if people get the bones from their quarter or half of beef. I don't remember that we did when we used to get a quarter of beef, except what was in our roasts and ribs. I buy bones and make bone broth. I make a couple pots of bone broth a month and more if I have a cold or other ailment. Me? I would be wanting the bones and having them cut up and packaged for pots of broth.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do you know how much she paid for it? I'm just wondering what prices are in other places. What about you Sentry? Don't feel obligated to share. I'm just wondering......

I did my big shopping trip today. I was gone about 6 hours and spent some $$$. I'm wiped out, but I'm stocked back up to the gills again. I don't think I could fit much more in the freezers. Although, a good portion of that money was spent on chainsaws (on sale) and yard/plants/tools/outdoor stuff. Between the hardware store and TS, my car was pretty full. Then it was off to WM for mostly non-food items and the grocery stores. I was finally able to get back to Aldi, which is by far my favorite grocery store to shop. They had everything I wanted, although I noticed their fresh meat (beef, pork & chicken) section was almost bare. I stocked up on frozen shrimp and chicken though, which was what I was after. I didn't notice any large increases in prices at all. Their TP and paper towel isles were stocked pretty full. Actually there was TP in all the stores I went to. I didn't really notice any outages at WM and even got some hot food and turkey from the deli. Overall, I was actually surprised to find some pretty good deals too! Yeah:)

I couldn't help myself.....I had to buy a new flag and stainless steal pole to put on the house or down by the mailbox (haven't decided exactly where yet). I've wanted one for a long time and just haven't done it. It's time! I even paid full retail price for it. o_O And yes, it was made in USA.....in fact, I got two.....I'm hanging one in the barn too. I've already got a couple of them in the house. ;)

I was thinking everyone would be wearing masks today. Nope. Nobody was making eye contact, except some of those who weren't wearing masks. Everyone is social distancing, which is something I typically do in stores anyways, so no big deal. I kinda got the feeling that those not wearing masks (myself included) had the 'go ahead and say something to me' look on their faces. LOL! I'm sure we were all armed with what our replies would be if someone were to say something. Nobody said squat. In fact, I'd say probably half weren't wearing masks. In Aldi, probably only about a quarter weren't wearing masks. The stores weren't very crowded which I was happy about. My shopping experience today was actually pretty darn good. I'm glad I went. Although, I needed an oil change and none of those places were open.:(
[/QUOTE
AngieN, no I don't know the price she told me but I didn't hear for all the kids.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't know what she is getting, but a market ready beef weighs in at around 1000 lbs. I know there is the hide, innards, and more that do not go into the meat a person gets, but I would think she should be getting at least double if not triple that much beef. Maybe 168 pounds?

I have no idea if people get the bones from their quarter or half of beef. I don't remember that we did when we used to get a quarter of beef, except what was in our roasts and ribs. I buy bones and make bone broth. I make a couple pots of bone broth a month and more if I have a cold or other ailment. Me? I would be wanting the bones and having them cut up and packaged for pots of broth.

Weedy from what I heard thats what she got, but who knows.

Frodo

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
right here right now maybe later over there
wally world range report for 05/21/2020

no hamburger, plenty of steaks, ribs, roasts
plenty of chicken
bacon selection sucked
eggs were ok.
cheese good
still no terlet paper
oww....caught them restocking the clorox antibacteial wipes. 1 per customer
i grabbed 4 and stashed them. went thru the line 4 times

lilmissy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We headed to Costco yesterday in Pittsburgh PA. Its a drive for us, but we dont have anything like that here. So my friend and daughter went for a girls day. It was normal busy. We didnt wear masks, and no one said anything until we got over half way thru and they sent this poor young man in who looked scared to death to tell us we had to wear masks and handed us some. I told him we had masks and didnt think we needed them. He said its their policy. Uugh. Felt bad for him, we put them on under our chin and went about our business. Now I am struggling mentally with giving in to my belief, (would be another topic) but we finished shopping and left. They were pretty stocked up, only 1 tp per person. No Rubbing alcohol Or anything like that. We headed to Whole Foods, man they were wiped out. Hardly any noodles of any kind, canned foods were picked over, etc. and limits on most items. My local Aldis had maybe 5 packs of meat Total!
we always order a half of a grass fed cow from our local farmer Every other year and of course, this is our year. It is going for 3.55 lb.

Sewingcreations15

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Happy to say we are now getting back to some sort of normality here in Australia with most groceries now being stocked in the stores. Seems people are spending about 23.7 % less last month on groceries and I don't think it will be much better this month for them either as most people spent a heap panic buying groceries in March.

Still a bit of a gap in generic cheaper brands of groceries though.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Gotta wear masks in public in New Mexico, too.
Yeah, it's a gov's "suggestion" here too. Even though there are signs on the doors of most businesses, many people are ignoring the orders. I have a mask in my pocket but won't wear one unless someone approaches me about it. Thus far, nobody has. I think the stores in my area are thinking they don't want to pizz off their customers and these "orders" are not theirs to enforce. Many of the employees likely don't agree with these orders either, so the last thing they're gonna do is tell someone to wear a mask, even though they have to wear one b/c their employer made it mandatory.

If enough people ignore these idiot orders, there's not a lot they can do about it. Honestly, I wish I had the kahunas to get a hockey mask and put that on if someone tells me I have to wear one. LOL!

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I walked into a Big Box lumber store and was greeted by young lady. She told me face masks were required and if I didn't have one, for a $1, the store would provide one. I gave her the $1. Customer behind me started arguing with her about the store's face mask policy. To defuse the situation I told him if he could wait a few minutes he could have my face mask for 50 cents. He gave me a dirty look then turn to hand the young lady a $1.

Cnsper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I walked into a Big Box lumber store and was greeted by young lady. She told me face masks were required and if I didn't have one, for a $1, the store would provide one. I gave her the $1. Customer behind me started arguing with her about the store's face mask policy. To defuse the situation I told him if he could wait a few minutes he could have my face mask for 50 cents. He gave me a dirty look then turn to hand the young lady a $1.
I would have left. Too many places to buy what you need. I am not going to wear a mask and you sure as hell not going to sell me one for a dollar.

WVDragonlady

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't wear a mask. I'm not sick. If I get sick I'll stay home or wear a mask like an adult would.

I made a walmart run this morning.
Produce was full
Meats were hit or miss. guess people are buying for the holiday weekend
Bread was full as were the teas and coffees
Bacon and sausage again wiped out
Canned fruits were full
Canned veggies somewhat hit hard. Did get what I needed though and stocked up some
Canned beans were stocked more than the last time
Soups were pretty wiped out. Guess people are still going for the easy stuff to fix to eat
Did have more selection in the pasta and noodles section. I stocked up
No flour at all, sugar half full
I got the last jar of yeast on the shelf and no packets left either
No tp at all but plenty of boxes of paper plates and plastic cups in the TP section. Guess they stocked up because of the holiday(?)
Plenty of paper towels
Cleaning supplies hit hard big time
Lunchmeats hit hard. Saw a man and his two sons....poor things lol They looked a little dismayed lol
Cheeses were stocked
Some butter was back so I stocked up
Plenty of eggs,milk,OJ,yogurt
No cans of biscuits and rolls
No pie doughs except the name brand
Frozen fruits hit hard
Frozen veggies hit hard too
Plenty of junk foods
Cereal aisle was full but pancake mix was hit hard. Hardly any there

And they stopped carrying my brand of bras dog-gone-it!! 🤬

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We keep about 10-15 surgical masks in all of our vehicles just for this purpose. Every store has the right to request you wear a mask, every store has the right to kick you out if you refuse to wear one, every person has the right to refuse to do business with any store that requires it. If the store doesn't request it, I don't wear one. If the store does and I want to shop there, I do. Being accommodating to those who are concerned about COVID-19, store owners concerned about their employee's safety or their liability, or what ever else is not that difficult and it in no ways diminishes who I am or what I believe in.

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If you leave your house here, you must wear a mask. Governors orders. I refuse to wear one in my car. She even demonstrated on tv how to fold a handkerchief and use hair ties on the ends to loop over your ears. She's the one that shut down Gallup for 9 days, roads in and out, and everyone stay in their house. We're all in this together New Mexico, and if we follow the rules, then maybe on June 1st some things can change.

Cnsper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If you leave your house here, you must wear a mask. Governors orders. I refuse to wear one in my car. She even demonstrated on tv how to fold a handkerchief and use hair ties on the ends to loop over your ears. She's the one that shut down Gallup for 9 days, roads in and out, and everyone stay in their house. We're all in this together New Mexico, and if we follow the rules, then maybe on June 1st some things can change.
That works great until someone passes out because they have worn the mask too long and oxygen is depleted. Look it up, there are many accidents being blamed for the driver wearing a mask. Even osha requires you only wear a mask for a certain amount of time.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If you leave your house here, you must wear a mask. Governors orders.
Did they specify it had to go on your mouth? Cause this is technically a mask.

fashion-halloween-black-mask-masquerade-party.jpg

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
FOOD SUPPLY CHAIN FALTERS SIGNALING IMMINENT FAMINE: WATCH LIVE!
Infowars.com - April 27, 2020 -
Coronavirus lockdown forcing farmers to destroy crops, livestock… Get this emergency message out to everyone you know!

Will we run out of food or not?
Just another "you've been warned!" media-created panic.

Like when Skylab was falling out of orbit. These warning hats would give you 0.0276 nanoseconds of advance notice that Skylab was about to hit your head, so you could move out of the way. Note that the deluxe model had two extra "late notice" warning prongs that would notify you a second time at 0.00853 nanoseconds.

( I wonder how many people were adversely affected when Skylab drove a piece of rebar through the top of their skull?)

warning.png

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know it restricts oxygen. I do ok with an N95, but husband can only wear a flimsy surgical mask, with the sides kind of gaping open. He only has one lung that works. It's dumb, because those flimsy masks don't do any good. I saw a little girl with a construction paper mask on. A lot of people have their noses peeking out anyway. Exceptions are: when you are eating, drinking, or exercising.

ClemKadiddlehopper

hayseed
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Stopped at a grocery store on the way back from town today. The parking lot was full which was not normal. No line ups so I went in. Normally, (let me rephrase that) not so normally, they would have a person outside disinfecting carts and controlling entry. Today there was a bottle of sanitizer and a roll of paper towel on a table next to the carts.

I went in, saw the obligatory arrows on the floor with a complete traffic jam down that first lane. I was going to leave when I noticed a new sign announcing the addition of the new government liquor department down at the end. I peaked down the next isle over and sure enough, empty. I bypassed the traffic jam and went shopping the old normal way. Turns out that was what the other non- boozy people were doing as well and the same could be said for the store employees. There were no arrows in any other isle. The floor polishers destroyed them.

The trend outside of the big cities here, seems to be ignoring the strong government suggestions and just getting on with it. I am pretty sure the underground economy is picking up steam. The area is mostly farming and blue collar workers and the white collar workers aren't too good at doing for themselves.

Most people are not wearing masks, many are shaking hands but everyone is giving lots of space to anyone who is, and I also saw someone disinfect a cart for a lady in a mask who was too worried to do it herself.

Good manners and a little respect is all that is needed. It really is possible to have it both ways and scrap the lockdown.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The bandana is a popular type of facemask now. It seems to have evolved to that. Most of the men that I see are using them. They can stay around your neck and when you need it, you can pull it up. I have one that I've been using and I have gotten in my car to leave a couple times without it. A friend of mine has made and sold and donated more than 1000 masks. She recently had to increase her prices because of the jump in price for elastic. She put out a new list and on it now is the bandana mask. If I was still sewing most of my own clothing, I could make a matching mask for all of it.

Cnsper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The bandana is a popular type of facemask now. It seems to have evolved to that. Most of the men that I see are using them. They can stay around your neck and when you need it, you can pull it up. I have one that I've been using and I have gotten in my car to leave a couple times without it. A friend of mine has made and sold and donated more than 1000 masks. She recently had to increase her prices because of the jump in price for elastic. She put out a new list and on it now is the bandana mask. If I was still sewing most of my own clothing, I could make a matching mask for all of it.
They worked great when we used to rob trains and hold up stagecoaches. @phideaux ought to remember that.

Latest posts