Lock the trailer ...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Andi

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Back a few years ago, we learned to lock our trailers with a heavy chain and lock... If you went to market you could find that someone put an unsold pony or donkey in your trailer ... OR

While bring stock back ... someone wanted to pet that horse, cow or calf. :mad:

Some folks just don't think ... So lock down that trailer !

Back a few years ago, we learned to lock our trailers with a heavy chain and lock... If you went to market you could find that someone put an unsold pony or donkey in your trailer ... OR

While bring stock back ... someone wanted to pet that horse, cow or calf. :mad:

Some folks just don't think ... So lock down that trailer !

We've had that happen before. We also had 7 starving horses turned out in our hay field when I was in High School.

In the world we live in, if everything isn't locked, and sometimes with more than one lock, it will just walk away. It could be your car, a bike, a snow shovel, a delivered package or anything that you forgot, it just goes away. There are several trailers that go missing every year, usually boy scout trailers, church trailers, or someone's work trailer, full of gear or tools.

A couple months ago, I saw a woman pushing a bike down the street. It was far too large for her, and in an area where there are many bikes reported stolen. When I rolled down my window to take a photo of it, she wanted to know what I was doing? I told her how odd it was for her to be pushing a bike that was too large for her to ride. She was livid. It was obviously stolen and she knew I knew it was.

Now the magic question that comes to my mind, what did you do about the starving horses and did you know the owners of the horses?

We called the Sheriff. We kept them until the sheriff dept could take them to the auction, I think it was 2 weeks or so. No idea of who the owners were. They had to have backed into our driveway to get them over the cattle guard. The gate was chained shut and locked on both sides.

They will do it ... We have locks and heavy chain on the cow gates, along with a locked gate at the horses.

The gate between the pasture and road was locked but we didn't have a gate on the driveway. Just the cattle guard. Only takes a minute to back up over that and shoo animals out of a stock trailer.

I have heard of animal theft but I have never heard of stuffing an unwanted animal in a trailer or someone's field. That's crazy!

One of the joys of owning a farm. People love to dump dogs and cats on farms. So many in fact, that the SPCA tries to charge us for dumping them there. Sometimes it becomes a case of shoot, shovel and shut up; thats how bad the problem is. Any time there is a drought, the auction houses are over loaded and when the trailers are locked tight, they simply tie the horse to the trailer and skedaddle.

I have heard of animal theft but I have never heard of stuffing an unwanted animal in a trailer or someone's field. That's crazy!

It's crazy but true. Last one was a pigmey goat. My neighbor called the cops and told them someone was stealing my goats. When the police got there, right before I did, they found that the people were trying to put goats IN my fence. Not take them out. Last thing I need is a unknown, possibly diseased animal put in my herd.

Last edited:
One of the joys of owning a farm. People love to dump dogs and cats on farms. So many in fact, that the SPCA tries to charge us for dumping them there. Sometimes it becomes a case of shoot, shovel and shut up; thats how bad the problem is. Any time there is a drought, the auction houses are over loaded and when the trailers are locked tight, they simply tie the horse to the trailer and skedaddle.

You have it right ... Folks drop cats (or kittens) at my gate, all the time. The dog get dropped at my neighbors.
And Yes again, the SPCA has been no help for us either.

I have them fixed , then try to find homes for them.

Latest posts

Back