Locked Up

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Yesterday I noticed deer skulls at the end of the garden, didn’t have time to look closely. I just figured my dog “Joe” was killing them and bringing the heads home. I know for a fact he kills deer. He left chasing a deer last year. I caught up with him beside the highway at the edge of a big swamp, 5 miles from home. He had caught that doe and was having lunch when I got there.

Anyway, I walked out in the yard this afternoon and those skulls were in a flower bed. Dad and I examined them and realized two bucks had gotten their horns locked up and had died. They were locked up good. We couldn’t pull them apart. :)

Deer Skull (1).JPG
Deer Skull (2).JPG
Deer Skull (3).JPG

Different neighbourhoods different rules I guess. Up this way a dog that took down deer would get a one way ticket to the rainbow bridge using a small .22 pill behind the ear. Not judging you or the dog just fascinated by regional differences
This is true. Dogs who have this kind of behavior would be the next to go in many places. Not judging.

Alabama is one of 11 states that still allows deer hunting with dogs... It's a tradition in the southeast. But, it is controlled county by county. In the county 2 miles away it is allowed but not in mine. I don't hunt deer with my dog. It's just his natural instincts. In fact during deer season I put a choke chain on him and chain him up at night. I don't like doing it but it keeps him alive. He is in no danger from people who live out here. The problem is with people from else where who lease hunting rights from timber companies. They shoot all dogs they see even if they aren't chasing a deer. They make a lot of enemies. These outside "hunting clubs" don't last very long. They treat locals like they actually own the property instead of leasing hunting rights... My neighbors are great people but there a few that shouldn't be messed with, especially by people who don't live here. I don't condone burned vehicles, 4 wheelers or club houses but some of these outsiders come here asking for trouble. :waiting:They usually find it!

Last edited:
My neighbors are great people but there a few that shouldn't be messed with, especially by people who don't live here. I don't condone burned vehicles, 4 wheelers or club houses but some of these outsiders come here asking for trouble. :waiting:They usually find it!

Sounds like some inner city neighbourhoods I know

It all depends on where you live as others have said, To me it sounds like "slow deer" In a lot of other states they have a problem with the deer dying I'm mass from CWS (Chronic Wasting Disease) The game divisions in the effected states are removing the antlered restrictions and some even having larger limits to thin down the herds ,in most farming states if the deer are in your crops you can get quick permission to clear them out , Heck I'd rather the dog do it so I could get a good nites sleep.

It all depends on where you live as others have said, To me it sounds like "slow deer" In a lot of other states they have a problem with the deer dying I'm mass from CWS (Chronic Wasting Disease) The game divisions in the effected states are removing the antlered restrictions and some even having larger limits to thin down the herds ,in most farming states if the deer are in your crops you can get quick permission to clear them out , Heck I'd rather the dog do it so I could get a good nites sleep.
Chronic wasting disease is a concern. Is it spreading?

Latest posts

Back