Long term storage food Christmas gift ideas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The wife and I typically only spend our family Christmas and birthday gifts on prepping items. My cellar is full of all sorts of long term prep foods, but a recent expansion of our cellar leaves us some room to add more. I need ideas on something unique that I can order on Amazon for our Christmas gifts.

We typically buy Augason Farms and Mountain House, but I am open to any suggestion that doesn't have "Wise" in the name! :)

What we already have includes the typical meal variety packs, dehydrated fruit and veggies, breakfast, LTS salt and sugar, pancake mix, etc. I am looking for something good that I don't have, and perhaps a bit oddball for variety. Someone on another forum said that Augason Farms had a Pad Thai option that I have not been able to source. Stuff like this is what I am looking to add to our boring typical LTS items.

What suggestions do you have? I could also add to our mid term storage food items as well (canned food, etc. with 6-10 year storage life). I have enough spam stashed away for a lifetime, so I don't think we will be adding anymore of this. :)

We don't have any dietary restrictions and we like most foods and ethnic cuisines.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Do you have what you would need to make pizza in your preps? You could get yeast and flour, which you likely already have, tomato powder and Italian seasonings, dehydrated cheese, pepperoni, freeze dried sausage, peppers, onions and mushrooms, whatever you like on your pizza. I don't know if pepperoni comes in any long term type variety, but it is shelf stable for a while, but probably not long enough. Most people really love pizza and having what you would need to make it would always be a good morale booster.

I suggest more herbs and spices for medium term storage. Amazing what can be done to bland foods with a variety of spices.

Sorry, these are Canadian sites, and I am unsure if they ship out the country but it may give you some ideas for brands to look out for.

https://good2goco.ca/products/mega-...-DM4LnJxtuMhuI3HoIGia6pWd-rrmiyEaAseoEALw_wcB
These guys have some different meals. Good for 5 years I think. So more short to medium term storage.

https://totalprepare.ca/shop/food/cook-in-pouch-camping-food/
https://www.backpackerspantry.ca/?g...eYteRkaqEgQwRfYqRKiGVNbHSchrsgnQaAneYEALw_wcB

I have cases of #10 cans of brown sugar. I think there is six cans on a case. This is strange because I never have any type of sugar for day to day use. I have had friends stop for a cup of coffee, and ask, "Do you have any sugar". I look at them bewildered, it is if I never knew of sugar, I have to think, what are they asking. They find it hard to grasp someone has zero sugar. I offer syrup. I guess the point is I'll likely never eat those cans of brown sugar, but I'll bet they have a best by date of 200 years. And I got them for near "Free" not totally free, but around fifty or seventy-five cents a can.

Impossible to have an excessive inventory of Booze........in any long term SHTF. Heaven has a special place for old' drunks and puppy dogs.

Impossible to have an excessive inventory of Booze........in any long term SHTF. Heaven has a special place for old' drunks and puppy dogs.

I might be tempted to raid my own preps and deplete what I have stored! Particularly if it’s bourbon. I don‘t particularly like scotch, so that’s what I should store!

Along the lines of what @Rebecca said - I've been trying to stock up on things from overseas such as spices, coffee, etc. Just in case the political realm gets even uglier, I'll at least have a reasonable time to ration it out. 100 proof vodka is good for making medicines (as well as drowning sorrows if that's the goal- bartering.) And one other odd ball thing is lye - drain opener but handy for making soaps and curing foods.

I recommend looking at Thrive food storage. They carry food preps you don't normally see since they cater to the LDS crowd. More everyday items and in #10 cans or smaller cans closer to a small coffee can in size great for taste testing.

Emergency Essentials is also one of our favorites. Again, different than the norm foods.

Lots of great ideas like I hoped to get from my post! I think I’ll be getting some spices and some more dried fruit, and the other suggestions give me a lot to research! Some of the recommended companies I have not heard of, so I am a bit eager to do the research started!

Forgot about dried fruit. It's great! We keep a large stock. Husband orders it all the time. Right now figs are his favorite. Grammas Turkish apricots are another he orders.

I have a decent stash of the dried fruit stashed away, but think this is an area that we need to add more since I have good odds of being able to have access to a good supply of meat.

Any idea of how well figs and apricots store? I eat them all the time. I found the brand at Amazon but I am not seeing any mention of shelf life.

We buy the big bags of figs and prunes, and I put most of them in qt mason jars and seal them. Seem to be fine for a year or two. The turkish apricots he gets are in smaller lots, and I think they have a couple years on the package. Probably will last longer if packaged better. We do cranberries, raisins, figs, prunes, apricots. Slivered coconut seems fine years later, too, I have alot of that in jars.

We buy the big bags of figs and prunes, and I put most of them in qt mason jars and seal them. Seem to be fine for a year or two. The turkish apricots he gets are in smaller lots, and I think they have a couple years on the package. Probably will last longer if packaged better. We do cranberries, raisins, figs, prunes, apricots. Slivered coconut seems fine years later, too, I have alot of that in jars.

I think a lot of folks will be wishing they had a good supply of these items once they start consuming some of the typical LTS preps.

Fruit cake. Should last as long as the twinkies...lol
Fruitcake doesn't last long here... not as long as I'm around!
biggrin.gif

I did an article on here about it's nutritional value and shelf-life stability.

Last edited:
I think the Baker Creek selection is a better buy. I got a big pack for a gift last Christmas from husband. I think it was listed on Amazon. Bought a large collection for our son, too. I had one box of survival seeds, and there really wasn't anything exciting in there. Waste of money. Plus, get something that will grow in their zone.

I have though about buying one of those garden in a can seed packages for each of the kids, my fear would be that the seeds might be too old or not viable.

Annie's Heirlooms sells these and they are fresh. Love their seeds!

Latest posts

Back