Looking at some "rural" property. Please help!!!!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dademoss

What I specialized in is oboslete
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Here's the deal. a piece of property is on the market that actually abuts the place my wife boards her horse. it's 5.02 acres, so in ohio it's exempt from a bunch of zoning stuff by townships.

It's a nice steel building and a "She shed"

My question is more about what do I need need to consider. I know I want a "certificate of occupancy" (wont exist), septic inspection and perc tests, well/cistern certifications, plumbing and electric inspection, property survey.

What have I not not thought of/missed?

It's a given I will have drop a house there, but thats a whole nother topic:)

Thanks!

Dave

Last edited:
Here's the deal. a piece of property is on the market that actually abuts the place my wife boards her horse. it's 5.02 acres, so in ohio it's exempt from a bunch of zoning stuff by townships.

It's a nice steel building and a "She shed"

My question is more about what do I need need to consider. I know I want a "certificate of occupancy" (wont exist), septic inspection and perc tests, well/cistern certifications, plumbing and electric inspection, property survey.

What have I not not thought of/missed?

It's a given I will have drop a house there, but thats a whole nother topic:)

Thanks!

Dave
What are the current taxes?
Can you use it for business purposes? (thinking along the air b&b line)
If no house (or even with) are there any Ag. exemptions or certifications (which typically lower taxes)?

I think it sounds like an incredible opportunity.

Definitely a survey.
And a must to make sure your septic system works, it gets expensive fast when they don’t.
Does it have a power pole already? 100 amp or 200 amp? 100 is standard where we live, when we bought our land and started from scratch we requested and got 200 amp service from the electric company. That way we had “room” to add more things in. Like power to the barn, stall, a 30 amp outlet for the wife’s horse trailer w/living quarters. Stuff like that.

What are the current taxes?
Can you use it for business purposes? (thinking along the air b&b line)
If no house (or even with) are there any Ag. exemptions or certifications (which typically lower taxes)?

I think it sounds like an incredible opportunity.
Tax bill is currently 1/2 what I pay now for this place. IF the price is right, its a good opportunity. At this point in time it's close to an even flip, if the owner comes to their senses, especially after the hard questions.

Definitely a survey.
And a must to make sure your septic system works, it gets expensive fast when they don’t.
Does it have a power pole already? 100 amp or 200 amp? 100 is standard where we live, when we bought our land and started from scratch we requested and got 200 amp service from the electric company. That way we had “room” to add more things in. Like power to the barn, stall, a 30 amp outlet for the wife’s horse trailer w/living quarters. Stuff like that.
Thank you , added to the list. It has power, have to check service level.

1650939535933.png

Does it have mineral rights? It may or may not be important to you......

When you ask for the survey to be done ask them to post it as well. Typically they will do that with the small wooden stakes. Do yourself a favor and go and mark the line with some heavy duty metal fense posts, so you'll always know where the line is.

If you can do a private sale through a title insurance company, that'd give you an extra layer of protection knowing that what you bought is actually yours. If you can keep a realtor out of it, it can save you some bucks.

Congratulations! It looks like an awesome find.

Does it have mineral rights? It may or may not be important to you......
I really don't want to move, but if the price is right it will be the last time. There isn't 💩 here to dig for, but i will add it to the list, thank you :D

Here they drive in rebar pins, I can find all my current lines easy :). Have to look at the new place, maybe later this week.

I cheated, told the DW if she wanted to move to set up the stuff, I'll ask the hard questions.

Last edited:
If you don't already know, investigate prior land usage (ie. dumping by others or past owners, or machining operations decades ago etc) to prevent any surprises when putting a house on the property. Talk to neighbors if you can. Look at county zoning maps.

Who or what will be your neighbors on each side. What is the surrounding area zoned for?

We were looking for 10 hilly farmable and wooded acres around Holy HIll in a Milwaukee far out suburb and found the "perfect property" till I saw a definite sheen on the little ponding water area (not a stream), some half hidden 55 gallon rusting barrels in a ravine (could've been nothing but who knows) and then 3 giant pit bulls came off the neighboring property at our 2 little girls. All ended well as we smelled no doubt of our dogs but you never want neighbor who will let his pits just run AT PEOPLE on their own land.

Check how much the REAL property taxes are through the appraisal district, NOT the real estate agent! Somehow in Texas they can lie their tails off about how much the taxes really are!
Ohio is nice, it's all on the county auditors website. :). I don't trust any real estate agent, even if they are my "agent"

If you don't already know, investigate prior land usage (ie. dumping by others or past owners, or machining operations decades ago etc) to prevent any surprises when putting a house on the property. Talk to neighbors if you can. Look at county zoning maps.

Who or what will be your neighbors on each side. What is the surrounding area zoned for?

We were looking for 10 hilly farmable and wooded acres around Holy HIll in a Milwaukee far out suburb and found the "perfect property" till I saw a definite sheen on the little ponding water area (not a stream), some half hidden 55 gallon rusting barrels in a ravine (could've been nothing but who knows) and then 3 giant pit bulls came off the neighboring property at our 2 little girls. All ended well as we smelled no doubt of our dogs but you never want neighbor who will let his pits just run AT PEOPLE on their own land.
the 2 big lots on each side are owned by the parents of the friends that board our horse, the other is a just a house, don't know them, but will ask. Kinda funny when you click on a GCIS map and realize you know those people :). Land use is all "single family dwelling" it's all houses, farms, tree nurseries, etc. Over 5 acres in ohio saves you a world of pain from township rules.

Check how much the REAL property taxes are through the appraisal district, NOT the real estate agent! Somehow in Texas they can lie their tails off about how much the taxes really are!

In Ohio it doesn't end well for dogs that attack people, especially dogs not on their owners property. Been there. My dog knows a very odd command, "BEHIND", then I am between them and an attacking dog :). I carry. Well, mostly knows, he knows his job it to protect his pack, sometimes it gets "interesting"

Last edited:
When we lived in OH we had several neighbors who had issues with radon. I'd definitely make sure your water test covers it. I doubt either of those buildings have a basements, but might be worth having a soil test done or just ask the neighbors with basements if they have tested for it...

I would definitely talk with a real estate attorney who knows the area, steer clear of realtors, most are unethical and it’s hard to find one that isn’t.

I would definitely talk with a real estate attorney who knows the area, steer clear of realtors, most are unethical and it’s hard to find one that isn’t.
I have names if we get to that point, but it seems unlikely a real offer will be accepted. Sucks for a seller when you can see all the sales records :p, and know the backstory on the property

Walk every inch of that property before you put any money down and again on your way to closing. That way you know exactly what’s on it because it will be your responsibility to dispose of it after you buy it. Good luck! Sounds like a great find!

Are those powerlines that go through the property?
Yep, HV/HT lines. Can't build under them, gonna piss of a lot buyers:clapping: .

Appt tomorrow to see the dump, the realtor is not gonna like this visit. However, the right price, one never knows, but I know we are way below asking price at this point.

Seems all the neighbors hate the owner :p

Last edited:
Call the local health department and ask about wells and septic in the area. The sanitarian can give you a lot of information that will translate into costs for you. Is it easy to get a well in a good aquifer? How deep? Any arsenic problems or salt or mineral issues? If water is hard to find, do people use pump and store systems, or resort to hauled water? What is the soil and water table like? An existing septic may no longer meet current rules and may have to be replaced. Can the system be installed below grade, or is there a high water table that will required an elevated mound system?
I've seen a lot of people buy a piece of property end up in tears when they realize they need expensive infrastructure to build new, instead of being able to use the old stab point well and the septic tank made of a 55 gal drum.
Another thought, how close would you be to those overhead lines? Stray voltage can be a real issue.

Thanks for all the tips, but we probably won't be moving there. It has some of the most ridiculous covenants I have ever seen. Still gonna take a look, but the offer will be for the lot, less the price to site clear the stuff not to code.

On the bright side, an Alpaca ranch is ok, but don't you dare have a chicken!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips, but we probably won't be moving there. It has some of the most ridiculous covenants I have ever seen. Still gonna take a look, but the offer will be for the lot, less the price to site clear the stuff not to code.

On the bright side, an Alpaca ranch is ok, but don't you dare have a chicken!!
Our area has a covenant against raising hogs.
Other than that we are zoned OR - open rural. In Florida that is a very good thing.

Latest posts

Back