Looking for a good state to call home

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cswilson

Friend
Neighbor
My wife and I finally sold our house in Florida and will be moving out of state to live with her parents until we can afford land. We’re really looking at 4 states to possibly get land. Missouri, Tennessee, Virginia and South Carolina. The reason I list these states are because my wife said no to the others. Does anyone have any info on these states? Weather,soil,laws etc?

Look at the politics. Check both the State and federal legislatures. If you're a democrat pick a place run by democrats, the Republicans don't want you coming in and messing up their State, and vice versa. If you're a gun owner, read the gun and self defence laws. These are readily available on the net.

You may want to consider cost of living (and land), taxes, medical care, schools and those recreational activities you may want to participate in. I look at those things as well as carry laws and political leanings.
When you find the land that interests you meet the neighbors - bad neighbors can ruin your life.

You may want to consider cost of living (and land), taxes, medical care, schools and those recreational activities you may want to participate in. I look at those things as well as carry laws and political leanings.
When you find the land that interests you meet the neighbors - bad neighbors can ruin your life.
Neighbors from hell, I had a friend that had to deal with that and believe me, you don't want that at all, we prayed for good neighbors when property was being sold on either side of us and God certainly provided and we have a great community that looks out for one another. We have friends that moved to the S.W. corner of Missouri on some good farm land, they seem to be very happy, this is in the Anderson area, I don't know how this area is for tornadoes but I would certainly check out how the weather conditions are for the area you may be thinking of going to, that's why we ended up here in S.W. Oregon, mild weather pretty much year around, no tornadoes and very good gun laws, but even that may change, the left coast is called the left coast for a very good reason, look at the politics for California, Washington and northern Oregon and then read about people wanting to make northern California and southern Oregon the State of Jefferson, there's even people looking into making this same area part of Greater Idaho, I'd prefer to be in the State of Jefferson. Make sure you check out whatever area you are thinking of going to as you don't want any bad surprises after paying for the property. We had considered Idaho, however in doing the research on that state we saw that the area we were thinking about had pretty much the same weather we had living in Colorado, snow and cold weather and we had about enough of that, that's the good thing we found about where we are now, anyway I wish you the best in finding a good place to land.

Also, look up your proposed home states here: www.city-data.com. Not only will you get every possible stat you could ever want, but there are also forums for each community, where you can ask specific questions (but take those answers with a grain of salt, lol). What I have done in my various moves over the years: subscribed to the smaller local community newspapers as well as the local classified tabloids (Penny Pinchers, Trading Post, etc.)

You can learn a LOT about a community that way. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
We settled on the TN Cumberland Plateau. But there are good things about any of the places you mention. We lived in an RV for quite a few years and parked at an RV park in the general area we're in now for a couple of years while we looked. Found a really good realtor that kept us out of some places that looked really good on paper but were out-in-the-country drug houses. We couldn't have picked better neighbors. But just a few miles down the road, it's not as good. Best of luck! Hope you find the perfect place for you! :)

I'm in Iowa, I can only tell you about Missouri. It has decent laws for the most part but at least in the north central part, where I do a lot of work, the environment sucks. Humid as sin, full of bugs, rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths, plants that will make you itchy, and meth heads. The hunting and fishing is solid though. Southeastern Mo. has some good traits if you like the woods. It has clear streams, low population, wildlife, and fish. To my understanding, it still has a lot of meth heads though.

TBH I don't think you can narrow your search by state most of the time. I wouldn't live in Cali or Illinois because of the politics, but even those states have areas that would be good. It's all about the local areas you're looking at.

(If you can stand the winters and the endless miles of cornfields, Iowa has a lot going for it. Just sayin'...) ;)

I'm in Iowa, I can only tell you about Missouri. It has decent laws for the most part but at least in the north central part, where I do a lot of work, the environment sucks. Humid as sin, full of bugs, rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths, plants that will make you itchy, and meth heads. The hunting and fishing is solid though. Southeastern Mo. has some good traits if you like the woods. It has clear streams, low population, wildlife, and fish. To my understanding, it still has a lot of meth heads though.

TBH I don't think you can narrow your search by state most of the time. I wouldn't live in Cali or Illinois because of the politics, but even those states have areas that would be good. It's all about the local areas you're looking at.

(If you can stand the winters and the endless miles of cornfields, Iowa has a lot going for it. Just sayin'...) ;)
There are meth heads everywhere in Missouri.
The part of Missouri I reside.
Pretty good, weather is squirrelly.
If you don't like it, wait about 5 minutes, it will change.
I live about 45 minutes to hour away from Kansas City, Missouri.
I'm in a pretty rural area.
Lots of little towns populations vary 200- 30000.
Some pretty good school districts, some I wouldn't give you plug nickle for.
Last week the weather was 30 ish, 45 ish.
Today the high will be 61* low will be 41*.
Farming communities, employment with Ford,GMC auto plants in KCMO.
Pasta plants, Bayer, others.
Real Estate prices pretty good.
Most people sell for what the buyers will offer.
Good hunting and fishing too.
I'm about 2.5-3.50 hours from Lake of Ozarks.
Branson,Warsaw, Truman Lake area.

Last edited:
There are meth heads everywhere in Missouri.

Are there places where meth heads aren't? I'm told a person doesn't have to look too hard to find them though I wouldn't really have any experience at all. I'm thankful to live away from them, at least as far as I know. There is definitely something to be said for having good neighbors, and I am very blessed. Most of the land surrounding me for a couple of square miles is a dairy farm, a cattle farm, a few big chicken houses and a sheep farm. My wife and I are nearly the only people here that aren't related to someone else right here in the neighborhood. But they've accepted us, and we've accepted them almost like extended family. We visit a little on occasion, we share some homegrown veggies, and we all respect each other and look out for each other. Religion and politics ain't bad if you're a conservative and a Christian, which I'm both, so we kinda blend in. ;) Doesn't get much better than that. :) Like I said, I'm blessed!

We used sparlings places to live and city data websites. Aside from weather they have voting, religion, ethnicity, age and other stats.
[/QU

.The census is your best bet.

Also, :welcome:from th state you left.

Last edited:
Are there places where meth heads aren't? I'm told a person doesn't have to look too hard to find them though I wouldn't really have any experience at all. I'm thankful to live away from them, at least as far as I know. There is definitely something to be said for having good neighbors, and I am very blessed. Most of the land surrounding me for a couple of square miles is a dairy farm, a cattle farm, a few big chicken houses and a sheep farm. My wife and I are nearly the only people here that aren't related to someone else right here in the neighborhood. But they've accepted us, and we've accepted them almost like extended family. We visit a little on occasion, we share some homegrown veggies, and we all respect each other and look out for each other. Religion and politics ain't bad if you're a conservative and a Christian, which I'm both, so we kinda blend in. ;) Doesn't get much better than that. :) Like I said, I'm blessed!
No, I think they are pretty much everywhere.

No, I think they are pretty much everywhere.
Yes, but some places much more than others. North central Missouri and southeastern Iowa are pretty bad, for example. The I-80 corridor in Cali from the East side of the bay to Sacramento is really bad. But going from Sacramento to Bakersfield and down to Palmdale/Lancaster is horrible, or it was 5 years ago, anyway. I've never seen anything anywhere like the Mojave/Palmdale/Lancaster area...

Tweakers are everywhere, heroin has made a huge comeback too. It's just another thing to deal with.

Yes, but some places much more than others. North central Missouri and southeastern Iowa are pretty bad, for example. The I-80 corridor in Cali from the East side of the bay to Sacramento is really bad. But going from Sacramento to Bakersfield and down to Palmdale/Lancaster is horrible, or it was 5 years ago, anyway. I've never seen anything anywhere like the Mojave/Palmdale/Lancaster area...

Tweakers are everywhere, heroin has made a huge comeback too. It's just another thing to deal with.
I know.
Makes me really glad I'm now retired.
Just not happy with the way I got retired.

Methheads, crackheads, herion addicts are everywhere. If you find a location that don't consider yourself lucky.
The general lack of such characters is why I like where I'm at now. Not that they don't exist, but they're generally few and far between, and the County Mounties keep pretty good tabs on things...

It used to be quite bad around here (too many murders and violent assaults) and I don't know what they did to make it not as bad other than the arrests, prison sentences, Texas Rangers (the real ones), and weeding out the worst. They may have gone to the county to the north and back in to the big cities.

I'm very fortunate. I don't actually know of anything suspicious close by with the possible exception of someone that was known to have grown some weed in the past. I honestly do not know if they still do, no idea, and I pretty much don't wanna know. They don't associate with any of the neighbors from what I can tell and they don't bother anyone. I even suspect that the local sheriff probably knows a good bit about that kind of stuff in this county. Again, it's just speculation but I would imagine he's not all that concerned about a hillbilly out all by himself that has a plant or two for his own "recreational" use. Hemp has become rather a big thing with some of the local growers with the CBD oil thing happening. So knowing that it is around leads me to believe that some probably have a few other plants that aren't for CBD oil. Again, just speculation. People doing really nasty stuff, meth, heroin, some of that stuff, that's not a good thing. I've seen several people locally that I pretty much know have ruined their lives with that stuff. Very sad. A former neighbor used to be a very beautiful young lady. A year or two after meth and she looks like she's aged 30 years. That's sad. And for what? :( I'm really surprised that they haven't just opened up and legalized mary jane. Compared to the other stuff out there, I have to wonder if it's any more of a problem than alcohol. People abuse that, too. I don't smoke, never did, don't plan to start. Don't drink either save a glass of wine a few times a year. But I think about stuff like this sometimes...

Many major southern cities are just ganglands now. No way the cops aren't in on some of it. Even as high up as the past president Obam and Holder wer suppling them with weapons ' Fast and Furious'.Plus CIA is rumored to be involved.

When a nation can kill people for being a cult Waco, kill bikers,Waco again or living alone in the woods ' Ruby Ridge' praticing second ammendments yet you have pushers hanging out on corners and gangs ruling the cities that are hands off something ain't right.
Atlantsa and surrounding areas has at least 39 gangs pushing drugs and selling Americas daughters and children all organized by S.America cartels and home grown gansters they rule and supply to you know your nation is in serious trouble.

Like I said before the census is your best friend check thr minority numbers and you'll know the crime. Facts are very unpopular though.

I love the area we live in, but there is that mess around DC that makes Virginia a blue State with a horrible governor . I really wished this part of Virginia had been added to WV when they split it up. The people around here would fit in better with that. When we moved out of Florida we looked at several different States also but had different requirement. I am very happy we ended up here.

I love the area we live in, but there is that mess around DC that makes Virginia a blue State with a horrible governor . I really wished this part of Virginia had been added to WV when they split it up. The people around here would fit in better with that. When we moved out of Florida we looked at several different States also but had different requirement. I am very happy we ended up here.

Virginia is a great state too we just like the Florida water and warm climate. We can grow basically all year round and have fish at lest for now. But it is getting over populated and that is never good for resources of any kind.
If the nation wasn't so dangerous now I'd hit the road if I could talk hubby into it but drive bys are not just in the hoods anymore.The environmental protection folks are now adding more obsticles to us every year. So we will just hang in here and see what happens next.

Not sure if you have made a decision, but we left Florida 10 years ago and moved to the NE corner of Alabama, just two miles south of Tennessee And we love it! There is a State income tax but property prices, taxes, and the total cost of living are ridiculously low in comparison.
The weather is moderate and we enjoy the four seasons without extremes seen in other places. We are in the mountains so our soil is very mixed, but fertile. We have been able to produce everything we wanted here.

Look for a community with like-minded folks; I agree that neighbors are critical, especially if you don’t have family in the area.
Good luck!

we left Florida 10 years ago and moved to the NE corner of Alabama, just two miles south of Tennessee And we love it!

That is a nice area! You're only a little over 2 hours drive from us. If ya came on up 127 and crossed over I-40, you'd only be 1/2 hour from us. :)

My wife has a good bit of family in lower Alabama and we used to live not too far out of New Orleans so I-59 was pretty familiar. Ft. Payne, Gadsden, etc. A person could do a lot worse in picking a place to call home.

We love the area. We feel blessed to have found our forty acres (and two donkeys)! The mountains are such a nice change from the Florida hustle, bustle and heat!

Look at the politics. Check both the State and federal legislatures. If you're a democrat pick a place run by democrats, the Republicans don't want you coming in and messing up their State, and vice versa. If you're a gun owner, read the gun and self defence laws. These are readily available on the net.

At this point in time, I absolutely agree. Look at the politics first. It's a little hard to relax if you're worried your neighbors will burn your house down because they don't like who you vote for.

Latest posts

Back