Looking for great books about the the French underground during Nazi occupation, or other similar human struggles.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Alaskajohn I've been following this thread but thinking about it... The people who were really in the forefront of the action and intrigue would have been swept into the security services after the war, whether for the east or west. They had displayed they had the skill set to survive. They would have been far to valuable to just be "let go" to return to normal life.

The stories you are looking for are probably filed away in Langley or Lubyanka Square.

American Gurrila in the Phillipines by Ira wolferet.

Its about american soldiers left behind during ww 2. It is the first written account i can find on making a slam/bang shotgun from pipe.

Hey folks, I am in a book reading binge, and want to consider great books detailing the struggles such as the French underground or resistance during Nazi occupation or other similar situations.

The book could be about events in Poland, the Czech Republic, or other occupied WARSAW pact countries. Or it could be about countries occupied by Japan, or countries that suffered under their own self imposed hells such as Cambodia. Really looking for good, intelligent reads on the mindset and struggles of the people. Not looking for a "how to fight back" type read, but more a retrospect of how it happened, what happened when it happened, and the such from the human perspective. Something thought provoking and cognitive on how human's managed through times of strife, change, loss, and peril, and how they responded and adapted to the change. I understand that resistance movements would likely be a part of such books, but I am looking more for the intellectual issues and not so much about the tactical. I have book next in the queue about Rhodesia, so I might have this human tragedy covered, or maybe not!

I know there is a great read out there somewhere on this!

Thanks

Surprising one of the best books I've ever read was also the largest I ever read ' George Washington '. It was an 800 page page turner.
About the Revolution and the horrors of war ,some personal about Washington ,his wife,the times and more.

Much of it was from letters to and from his wife.
1615745169919.png

Surprising one of the best books I've ever read was also the largest I ever read ' George Washington '. It was an 800 page page turner.
About the Revolution and the horrors of war ,some personal about Washington ,his wife,the times and more.

View attachment 60972

That sounds like an interesting book!

Sorry. I just went to my library and all the books that I had on that subject have been sold. So, the great book is Escape From Russia, Stanley Opalka, ISBN 9780615124988. It’s not common, but you may be able to find it. For some reason, I want to tell you to check out Corrie Ten Boom’s books. She survived the Holocaust and though there aren’t the kind of details for survival that you may be looking for, her strong faith and ability to endure are well worth recommending. There’ are more- when I can get definite info I’ll share.

I am still waiting on “Escape from Russia” to arrive by mail. I did just finish my first Corrie Ten Boom book, thanks to your recommendation. I ended up ordering “Marching Orders for the End Battle” and I enjoyed it immensely. I suspect I will be reading another one of her books in the near future. Added a new sig line from a quote from this book.

I miss reading but its too hard on my eyes now. I wish audio books were'nt so expensive!

I handled a original recently. It sure was a stepping stone to a bettet weapon.

Cool picture! I’ve only seen them in museums.

One that may be relevant is titled "Prisoner of Hope". It was written by an American serviceman who was captured by the Japanese army when the Philippines fell. It is a heavily faith based book, and details the mental challenges of being a prisoner in sub human conditions, and how the author relied on his faith in God to persevere. The quality of the writing is amateur, but it is a fascinating read nonetheless.

Also, look up an Author by the name of Studs Terkel. He published several books consisting of interviews with war survivors, and includes the stories from underground resistance fighters. Keep in mind that those will only be a small part of each book...

‘Of all the variously talented women SOE sent to France, Nancy Wake was perhaps the most formidable’ ―Sebastian Faulks

This is the incredible true story of the greatest spy you’ve never heard of―as told to the author by the woman herself.

At the outbreak of World War Two, Nancy Wake’s glamorous life in the South of France seemed far removed from the fighting. But when her husband was called up for military service, Nancy felt she had just as much of a duty to fight for freedom. By 1943, her fearless undercover work even in the face of personal tragedy had earned her a place on the Gestapo’s ‘most wanted’ list.

Mixing armed combat with a taste for high living, Nancy frustrated the Nazis at every turn’whether she was smuggling food and messages as part of the underground Resistance or being parachuted into the heart of the war to lead a 7,000-strong band of Resistance fighters.

I miss reading but its too hard on my eyes now. I wish audio books were'nt so expensive!
Does your library support Overdrive or some other electronic media distribution? My libraries have many audiobooks that you can check out over the internet from home, never having to set foot in the library itself. If you want to visit the library, they also have audiobooks on CD. But I find those far less convenient. I want to listen on the go - e.g., an MP3 file on my cellphone of audio player. CD's don't help much with that (yes, you can rip them, convert them, etc. - but that takes time). Overdrive is good because what you get are MP3 files - so no DRM, and they can be copied and played anywhere, not just using proprietary playback software like "Audible" from Amazon requires.

I am glad this thread is still alive!

I was gifted a one year subs to audible last summer for Father’s Day, and had not purchased anything yet. Since I don’t want to renew the subscription, I need to make my purchase soon. I just ordered Hemingway’s For Whom the Bell Tolls and I might pick up another one by him. Unfortunately, a lot of the books I want to purchase with audible aren’t available.

I will go through this thread later this week and perhaps pick up some from audible that I didn’t purchase paperback/hardcover.

Back